Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How much longer till a 64bit version?  (Read 3789 times)

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much longer till a 64bit version?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »

I thought building any application would be easy, assuming it's coded right and that correct libraries are installed...
that's what's the problem - there are no bug free apps with more than few thousand lines of code

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 02:19:16 am »

I thought building any application would be easy, assuming it's coded right and that correct libraries are installed...

Almost true, if you think within the same family of OSes (i.e. all UNIX and its derivatives are almost interchangable). However, x64 is another architecture, so porting to it is non-trivial. It has other datatypes, a different way to address memory, and all this cramped into the good old x86 architecture. :P

So, no it isn't just a matter of flicking the right switch, much as that would make life easier.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 07:41:26 am »

change int32 to ints and you have the same thing and it still works!

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 08:15:33 am »

change int32 to ints and you have the same thing and it still works!

int isn't necessarily signed. int32, however, is.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 08:39:50 am »

Although an x64 WINDOWS version would be nice for me :)

Huh? Do you have any problems with running DF on a x64 OS? Because I don't....

I do. I have to run it in windows 98 computability mode, or my saves corrupt themselves. Doing so also causes some weirdness with the DF process not ending when I exit, and messes up a bunch of other things on my computer. I exit normally, then I have to ctrl+alt+del and end dwarfort.exe, every single time.

I can play just fine though, just wish it didn't prevent me from playing anything else  :D

...wait, I don't play anything else...

I do use my web browser though, and without ending the DF process I cannot start Chrome.

(x64 windows XP btw)

Wow, that is weird. I am playing DF on x64 Vista Ultimate, and I never ever had any problems.  :o

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 10:33:38 am »

(x64 windows XP btw)
Wow, that is weird. I am playing DF on x64 Vista Ultimate, and I never ever had any problems.  :o

That's because you are using Vista, and not XP-64. The latter's hardware support is... lacking (TBH, it wasn't a full release, not intended for public consumption. It's been a purely corporate release).

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 05:37:02 pm »

(x64 windows XP btw)

That's because you are using Vista, and not XP-64. The latter's hardware support is... lacking (TBH, it wasn't a full release, not intended for public consumption. It's been a purely corporate release).
Yeah, my dad bought it through his company.

It generally works rather well, but just a few things have major problems...  :-\
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:10:19 pm »

Sixty four bit OSes will have problems running 32 bit applications if they lack the proper libraries to handle them. With those libraries, there is absolutely no problem.
!!&!!

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 04:26:49 am »

Sixty four bit OSes will have problems running 32 bit applications if they lack the proper libraries to handle them. With those libraries, there is absolutely no problem.

That's true for *NIX OSes. Windows is not a *NIX OS, however, and handles 32 bit differently in a 64 bit environment: Windows on Windows 64.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 06:08:47 am »

(x64 windows XP btw)

Eh...it's funny that DF is running flawlessly on x64 Vista, but not on x64 XP....Microsoft... ::)

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 06:14:18 am »

Eh...it's funny that DF is running flawlessly on x64 Vista, but not on x64 XP....Microsoft... ::)

Microsoft didn't, ever, want to support Windows XP on 64 bit platforms. They were betting on Vista for this. But since Vista was a way off at the time, some exec (after prodding by MS's customers), probably asked "how hard could it be?", and gave the the mess that is Windows XP-64. Add ot that that hardware vendors won't support an OS that doesn't have significant distribution...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:59 am »

Thanks for the explanation.  :)

CynicalRyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 07:25:45 am »

Thanks for the explanation.  :)

No problem. Why diss MS and Windows for made-up reasons, if there are so many good ones. ;)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 04:38:36 pm »

Hey, maybe the impossible happened, and they actually improved something with a new version  :D
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »

(x64 windows XP btw)

FINE.  I play on XP-64 bit and don't have any problems.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4