Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dread Contraption  (Read 696 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
The Dread Contraption
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:16:32 pm »

Ive been working on something for a bit and am about to start implimenting it into my next world gen. but first i need to find out a few things that I am unable to find previous mention. can you have the result of a smelter reaction be a Creature?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dread Contraption
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:22:55 pm »

Short answer: No.

Long-ish answer: There are some work-arounds that can pretty much make creatures, but not in any satisfactory way. I think they all end up being vermin, or something.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:35:51 pm »

Hrumph, well that stinks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:50 am »

Yeah, currently everything that you make will come out as a type of vermin.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:34:08 am »

The reason is that the smelter can only produce items, not creatures - but vermin are items. (The VERMIN item type for wild vermin, the PET item type for tame vermin.)

However, the vermin retain all the other stats of the creature they're made from. Vermin dragons will still breathe fire and tear up your fortress.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:19:50 pm »

The reason is that the smelter can only produce items, not creatures - but vermin are items. (The VERMIN item type for wild vermin, the PET item type for tame vermin.)

However, the vermin retain all the other stats of the creature they're made from. Vermin dragons will still breathe fire and tear up your fortress.
But will cats still hunt them?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »

Almost certainly.

The more important question is, will cows be milkable?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:08 pm »

>.> 

1. Vermin sized dragons that breathe fire.
2. Other dangerous creatures with unique skills verminized
3. Possible: Milking of cows?
4. Possible: Verminized and edible Elves?
5. Possible: Less cpu load?

Where do I sign up?  (To the search thing!)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 09:27:44 pm »

so with the whole vermin aspect I am reworking the creation to be quite a bit less dread. turning a mechanism and a metal bar to make Defense Spider Drones guarding the halls. I hope it works out.

the original concept was going to have an Iron bin an lignite as part of the creation using a magma furnace for roleplay reasons.( yes it would be powered by the dwarven thermonuclear device ) making it a late game defense construction two at your gates and they would be quite formidable. but as vermin even with all the power it just wouldn't fit. so Drones I'll even station a recruit in a room with a large number of levers to be the controller, the levers wont actually do anything, but it would be fun.