Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Folder - a very small suggestion  (Read 689 times)

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Folder - a very small suggestion
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:26:20 pm »

I think the DF zip should have a folder containing all of the game files, not just the files themselves. More than once have I unzipped a new version of DF only to find the files spread all over my already messy desktop. I've eventually learned to make a new folder for DF before extracting the files but I think this would be very handy for other careless unzippers like me. And it would save new players the trouble of creating and naming a folder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Folder - a very small suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:28:24 pm »

Personally I hate zip files that do this.  I always unzip things to a folder of their own, so my hard drive is littered with C:\Some Utility\SomeUtility\utility.exe.  Which I can fix easily, but still...

I guess it's personal preference...  But why would you unzip something to your desktop?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:22:55 pm »

I think the DF zip should have a folder containing all of the game files, not just the files themselves. More than once have I unzipped a new version of DF only to find the files spread all over my already messy desktop. I've eventually learned to make a new folder for DF before extracting the files but I think this would be very handy for other careless unzippers like me. And it would save new players the trouble of creating and naming a folder.
For that exact reason, it has become my habit to extract everything in a folder named after the zipfile, an option most unzip programs provide on right-click.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:25:18 pm »

Because you expect that it would be contained within its own folder? Not necessarily your desktop, but any location where you put your programs or files.

It's very easy to move all of the contents of a folder up one level. It's much harder to collect the results of an unzip, which are scattered among all of your other files and folders, and move them to their own folder.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:33 pm »

See, from my perspective, a zip file IS a folder.  That's not what it is to the filesystem, but a lot of modern OSes treat them that way by default.  If you take things out of that folder, you need to put them in a new folder.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:42:41 pm »

For that exact reason, it has become my habit to extract everything in a folder named after the zipfile, an option most unzip programs provide on right-click.

Yeah. I also do that now. I learned that the hard way... ;) I just read this post over at auntie pixelante, recalled how annoyed I had been with the lack of a folder in the zipfile and decided to make a suggestion.
Let's hear what people say. If a majority wants to keep it as it is I'm not going to make a fuss about it.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:00:15 pm »

It's probably the least labor intensive suggestion that's ever been done here :).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »

Nah, no need to, WinRAR and 7-Zip both provide a "Unzip to /[.zip file name]" on right-click.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 03:38:45 pm »

That post on pixelante makes a lot of sense.  And I'm also all for the change if that's where public opinion sways.

Something else to consider:  Right now, you -can- unzip to the folder name of your choice.  Me, I like unzipping to df-1, df-2, ..., df-20 as I make new regions/new mods.  If there was a folder name embedded, those would all end up as /df-1/df/dwarfort.exe, which is a little weird.

.tar files always do embed directories though, and when they don't, it's universally a bad thing (when it's something you want to install anyway).  Hmm...