Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is it hard to code? (graphics solution)  (Read 884 times)

robrtt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is it hard to code? (graphics solution)
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:36:48 am »

since we have open gl and support for alpha channel.
I was thinking about my new graphic tileset.
Coding isometric graphic could be really hard for Toady but here is quick solution for 2.5d DF:

making some tiles higher adds nice 2.5 effect and could allow us making bigger, non square characters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: is it hard to code? (graphics solution)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:46:27 am »

It would be nice, but since DF operates with uniform colors and has no tile border, several different tiles of the same color would blend in and become indistinguishable. Good for graphics sets though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

robrtt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:36:43 am »

i made a viz:

ground titles are 20x20, characters and trees 30x20.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:54:41 am »

It wouldn't be that hard to code if alone, but it would imply a considerable number of changes in Toady's code. Also, it would be quite harder to update every single time something new enters DF.

Remember that the current graphic aspect had been chosen because it's easy to update. Current UI is very simple while keeping the game playable.
Once the game is advanced enough, I hope Toady will open the graphical part of the game to allow everyone to make a more suitable UI. Anyway, he has more important things in mind at the moment.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:55 am »

Yeah, such things will play awful tricks with the way UI is displayed. When Toady separates, say, walls from rivers and rivers from menu borders, as well as text tilesets from display tilesets, this can be done. It'll be nifty when full graphics support rolls around.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:28 am »

Yeah, such things will play awful tricks with the way UI is displayed. When Toady separates, say, walls from rivers and rivers from menu borders, as well as text tilesets from display tilesets, this can be done. It'll be nifty when full graphics support rolls around.

I am not a graphics whore, but oooohhhh boy.....I just can't wait for it, because I love the 2D top-down display method.  :)