Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129859 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #990 on: January 26, 2010, 05:21:29 pm »

Move him out of that room fast, a picture of anything the dwarf dislikes lowers the perceived value like mad.
Would putting a statue in front of the engraving work? If I recall correctly, walls directly behind a statue aren't counted towards room value because they're not visible.
[/quote]
Alternatively, if you have the space to do so just mine out that picture, then smooth over the new space. I would check the engraver's relationship to your mayor tho. IME if an engraver has a grudge against someone and is told to engrave their room chances are there'll be at least one engraving of that dwarf being traumatized. You may want to go with another engraver if thats the case.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 26, 2010, 05:27:42 pm »

If it's not a masterwork engraving, just dig it away and build a gold wall in its place.  Problem solved.  Heck, even if it is masterwork, a good engraver has enough that it shouldn't flip his wig too hard.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 26, 2010, 05:33:42 pm »

An orc siege showed up. I immediately checked to see if there were any ranged orcs, since they're 50x easier to deal with in the trees. Spotting an orc bowman leading one squad, I dispatch some swordsdwarves to take care of his squad. A few minutes later, I get spammed with "Urist McChampion has died". Turns out they don't all spawn at once, two squads of boworcs had come from the same side and were cutting through my multi-legendary dwarves in masterwork steel. That's a double facepalm, not waiting for the entire army to spawn and using hammerdwarves instead of swords, axes, or spears.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:08 pm »

When trying to dam a waterfall, 2 of my 3 miners went right over it for no apparent reason.

Down 39 z-levels.

:(

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 27, 2010, 08:08:21 am »

When trying to dam a waterfall, 2 of my 3 miners went right over it for no apparent reason.

Down 39 z-levels.

:(

Yeah. That really is an awesome site.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 27, 2010, 08:56:10 am »

If it's not a masterwork engraving, just dig it away and build a gold wall in its place.  Problem solved.  Heck, even if it is masterwork, a good engraver has enough that it shouldn't flip his wig too hard.

Gold's a good generic material, but it's better to check the material preferenes of the dwarf that will be occupying the romm, then use one of the metals he likes. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:52 am »

I dispatched my entire army after an "all melee" siege and it ended up the REST of the army were bowgoblins.

They cut down 2/3 the army before they were reached and fled because they had no arrows.

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 27, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »

Excavating, without a single dwarf bursting into flames, a 15 z-level magma pipe to make it perfectly circular by channelling and supporting levels by supports for safe, remote lever collapsing. I decided not to fit doors where the magma chamber connects to the rest of the fort as everyone is nicely out of the way. Chortling, I pulled the lever and watched with horror as every dwarf bar one walks chooses that moment in time to walk past the entrance on their way to a party and choking with the dust, are sent to the bottom of the pipe to be covered by a magma spurt.

The remaining dwarf is blind and has no legs.

Rollback time methinks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 27, 2010, 01:23:15 pm »

No offence, but that is hilarious. How many dwarves did you have?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:28 pm »

D:<
Went the last immigration wave came in, I make the peasants swordsdwarves. They begin wrestling while I make swords for them. They all become wrestlers and they go to grab their swords. FOR SOME REASON, they still wrestle. One of them became a champion, he's a LEGENDARY WRESTLER. FUCK.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 27, 2010, 03:01:27 pm »

Wrestling increases faster than any other combat skill for a variety of reasons; it goes up for dodge rolls, the higher it is the more often a dwarf makes a successful dodge roll (robbing you of a shield/armor roll), if they are engaged in a grapple they will use wrestling, and military dwarves have an annoying tendency to steal each others' equipment and refuse to let go until you explicitly tell them to drop everything (resulting in them attacking with wrestling rather than a weapon skill). There was an in depth post somewhere on the forums about it but I can't seem to find it...

EDIT: Woot, thread hit 1000 posts.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 27, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »

Went the last immigration wave came in, I make the peasants swordsdwarves. They begin wrestling while I make swords for them. They all become wrestlers and they go to grab their swords. FOR SOME REASON, they still wrestle. One of them became a champion, he's a LEGENDARY WRESTLER. FUCK.
You can still change their weapons by the Military screen, can't you? (I may be wrong here)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 27, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »

You can. Legendary status doesn't override weapon choices, it only does so when a legendary soldier picks up an artifact weapon, as they will refuse to let go of it.

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 27, 2010, 04:57:16 pm »

No offence, but that is hilarious. How many dwarves did you have?

39 as I set my population cap to 40 so I could just build without having to worry about managing the normal horde I get after a couple of years.

Second time round the doors did the trick.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 27, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »

You can still change their weapons by the Military screen, can't you? (I may be wrong here)
Yeah, I can. Most of them are elite wrestlers and they were changing their own weapon preference to unarmed. :(
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 729