Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129917 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #975 on: January 25, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »

Double dose of goblin ambush quickly went to hell because I forgot to make the new recruits quivers! D:<

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 25, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

When you find adamantium, make the armor first.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:23 pm »

There's no adamantine on the map. I made them iron chain mail, though.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 25, 2010, 05:13:27 pm »

Do you have flux? If so, then make steel. It improves the effectiveness with 33%. And give you recruits armour when sparring, it increases their armour using skill, which decreases the effective weight of worn items (clothing AND armour). This, in turn, reduces encumbrance, which increases speed. And there's also the fact that a legendary armour user has another 18000 experience, which increases their attributes, making them stronger, tougher, and/or faster. Also shields. More block chance, more experience, more attributes.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:01 pm »

This isn't a facepalm on my part but on the randomness of my engravers.

My bookkeeper/manager/broker was complaining about not having a good enough room so I ordered the walls to be engraved.One of my engravers made a picture of the noble surrounded by purring maggots and looks terrified IN HIS ROOM!

I guess everytime he wants to go to sleep he gets to see one of the worst memories of his life right across the room.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 25, 2010, 08:02:46 pm »

Brought one pick.  Decided to switch miners.  Previous miner drops his pick.  Right next to a bunch of rhesus macaques.  Hilarity ensues.

At least I brought an axe so I could use wood.  Wasn't planning on making it an outdoor fortress though.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 25, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »

I requested some flux and charcoal from the liaison. ;)

I made cork as a practice metal(which the dwarf caravans keep using for cages. :o ). I made a smelter reaction to make cork bars from wood, BUT I screwed up the reaction and it doesn't produce anything. :(

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 25, 2010, 09:44:03 pm »

This isn't a facepalm on my part but on the randomness of my engravers.

My bookkeeper/manager/broker was complaining about not having a good enough room so I ordered the walls to be engraved.One of my engravers made a picture of the noble surrounded by purring maggots and looks terrified IN HIS ROOM!

I guess everytime he wants to go to sleep he gets to see one of the worst memories of his life right across the room.
Move him out of that room fast, a picture of anything the dwarf dislikes lowers the perceived value like mad.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 25, 2010, 09:53:27 pm »

Brought one pick.  Decided to switch miners.  Previous miner drops his pick.  Right next to a bunch of rhesus macaques.  Hilarity ensues.
Similar story: I was trying to get my embark-bought leather out of the wagon since I'd been a bit lax in digging out workshop zones, when some hoary marmots show up, spook the haulers off, and steal five pieces of Donkey Leather and some spider silk thread.

I guess you could say they made an ass out of me.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:51 pm »

Hoary marmots don't steal. They are, however, either identical or one shade off identical to rhesus macaques, which do.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:34 am »

Hoary marmots don't steal. They are, however, either identical or one shade off identical to rhesus macaques, which do.
Maybe he confused them with hoarding marmots.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 26, 2010, 11:58:08 am »

No, he's right, I got 'em confused with the Macaques.

I lost my trader/clerk/manager/engraver (a founding member) in a magma-channeling accident. Which is confusing because he had absolutely no reason to be down there in the first place, that I know of.

I also lost my miner (also a founder) in the same month in a cave-in, so I am understandably a little worried about the rest of my founders.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 26, 2010, 12:18:54 pm »

Move him out of that room fast, a picture of anything the dwarf dislikes lowers the perceived value like mad.
[/quote]
Would putting a statue in front of the engraving work? If I recall correctly, walls directly behind a statue aren't counted towards room value because they're not visible.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 26, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

Would putting a statue in front of the engraving work? If I recall correctly, walls directly behind a statue aren't counted towards room value because they're not visible.
You'd also have to cover all diagonal views and redesignate the room.

Cyphr

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cancels Work: Busy Laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 26, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

playing with the physics and building an upside down pyramid on top of a single pillar, berserk dwarf killed about 75 dorfs in a  single rage fueled kick
In the grand scheme of things dwarves view carpentry as somewhere between manure shoveler and rapist on the scale of social agreeability.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 729