Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130041 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #915 on: January 16, 2010, 10:34:05 pm »

That took me forever to figure out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 16, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »

i assumed it was just for taking down constructed ramps (no damn idea why...) instead of natural ramps.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 17, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »

Also, I just had an entire immigrant wave wiped out by a grass fire started by a grouchy imp.
If you allow yourselves to use exploits: Stockpiles stop grass fires. You don't even have to fill them. Just the act of a higher entity (you) thinking "There should be something there." stops the fire from progressing. Make it accept nothing, just to be safe.

They also stop the tide from coming in. even if you remove them directly after, it wipes out the "waves go here" hard code.  This is a facepalm moment because I finally discovered this after waves had come and drowned my new fort entrance, and i was forced to stockpile things outside until I figured out how to drain it. totally a case of "why didn't I discover that BEFORE the flooding!?"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:37:38 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:48 am »

Realizing that all dwarves build roads regardless of labour preferences; after scheduling a road to be built right at the edge of the map; without quarrying stone local to the road building site first. So THAT's why every dwarf had a construct building job and no other work was being done...

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 18, 2010, 02:26:48 am »

I accidentally marked an Orc axeman (size 15 damblock 10, steel axe and chain armour) to be moved into the cage my animals waiting to be slaughtered go to.. He, of course, escaped.
Luckily, no one got killed, the thresher who let him out ran to the basement, the axeman ran for one of the woodcutters, the wood cutters pet war dog intercepted him, and survived!  :o
the Orc ran for the exit, after cutting off ALL of the poor dog's paws, and ran into the same cage trap he got caught in last time.
Now the dog wanders the halls, pawless, passing out every few seconds, as a reminder of my carelessness.  :-\

EDIT:
The dog just walked into a stonefall trap and passed out.. at least he's not suffering any more.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:31:45 am by LostxInxThought »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 18, 2010, 07:24:45 am »

Luckily, no one got killed,

In my experience, prisoners of war do not try to fight unless cornered. Had your dog not intercepted him, there wouldn't have been any casualties at all (unless one of your soldiers did the same).

How I noticed this? I pitted a bunch of ranged attackers to use for target practice by my guys, and not one of the monster fired a single shot. And yes, I did make sure the had their bows and arrows still on them. When I used prisoners of war for melee training, I did sometimes get wounded, or even casualties, in my ranks.

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 18, 2010, 07:35:24 am »

Luckily, no one got killed,

In my experience, prisoners of war do not try to fight unless cornered. Had your dog not intercepted him, there wouldn't have been any casualties at all (unless one of your soldiers did the same).

How I noticed this? I pitted a bunch of ranged attackers to use for target practice by my guys, and not one of the monster fired a single shot. And yes, I did make sure the had their bows and arrows still on them. When I used prisoners of war for melee training, I did sometimes get wounded, or even casualties, in my ranks.

I didn't know that, I've never had an escapee before. I really only had the  cages set up to catch a breeding pair of raccoons, and it turned out I forgot to make my orcs [trAPAVOID]. Normally I build an arena before I worry about keeping any invader's alive.

::) speaking of raccoons, it seems only females are interested in robbing my fortress, they're all I can catch.

also, modding facepalm:
my orcs are active in every seasen except summer... I meant to keep them out of my way in autumn so my dwarven caravans were safer  :-X should be fun watching my little liaison running from 20 [SIZE: 15] Orc Axe- and Spearmen.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 18, 2010, 08:30:23 am »

I didn't know that, I've never had an escapee before.

Nobody can blame you for not knowing that, because it's not exactly obvious. You'd expect an escapee to at least attack whoever is in sight, if not to actually seek out targets, and meanwhile they behave similarly to civilians, running and only fighting when cornered.

::) speaking of raccoons, it seems only females are interested in robbing my fortress, they're all I can catch.

Sooner or later, you should get a male on your map. You don't even need to catch it, because animals breed by spores, i.e. just one male showing up on the map for a moment should be enough to impregnate all your females.

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 18, 2010, 10:28:24 am »

Nobody can blame you for not knowing that, because it's not exactly obvious. You'd expect an escapee to at least attack whoever is in sight, if not to actually seek out targets, and meanwhile they behave similarly to civilians, running and only fighting when cornered.

Sooner or later, you should get a male on your map. You don't even need to catch it, because animals breed by spores, i.e. just one male showing up on the map for a moment should be enough to impregnate all your females.

Yeah, I was expecting a slaughter to be honest, size 15, damblock 10, all steel gear, and me with only a few war dogs to keep it away  :-X I wasn't exactly prepared to kill one that could actually reach my dwarves.

I finally got my male raccoon :D chained the 2 up in the basement, the room that served as a temporary slaughter house.
I knew about the spore-breeding, but the last map I had, I tried to get a decent mountain goat stock from spore breeding, and A hunter migrant I never noticed managed to kill all the goats in the area, for over 6 years after that hunter got loose, I didn't see another living wild animal on the map, so, I wanted to tame and chain them so I didn't accidentally drive them to extinction.  :) I like having some variety in my pets/food/leather/etc.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 18, 2010, 12:58:30 pm »

I've been playing since November, and I just now noticed that you can use 'n' to purchase items at embark.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 18, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

I've been playing since November, and I just now noticed that you can use 'n' to purchase items at embark.
Ha!  Yeah, took me forever to figure that out.  I thought making embark profiles was something fancy you had to do in the raws or something.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Sir Speshkitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 18, 2010, 09:10:42 pm »

Discovering you can build ramps.

Naturally, I did this just after I'd designated a 20 z-level pyramid underground.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 19, 2010, 04:46:19 pm »

Discovering you can build ramps.

Naturally, I did this just after I'd designated a 20 z-level pyramid underground.

Carving a proper aboveground fortress out of a whole mountain... sounds like a proper dwarven project to me and should also make the "stay inside" orders work properly ;)

My biggest facepalm was in my very first (halfway successful) fort, when I discovered the magic of z-levels... after almost two dwarf-years. I had just read the whole epicness that is Boatmurdered and really wanted to play this game. Nobody told me to expect such a different game :P

Also, my very good friends <d-b-f>, <d-b-c> and <d-b-d>... can you imagine the pain of designating a whole fortress worth of stones for dumping, one by one? :o
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lobster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 19, 2010, 11:57:34 pm »

The 4th time i embarked and a dwarf was 'struck down by carp'.

The first three times were just wtf moments, but by the fourth i realised YOU SHOULD FEAR THE KING OF BEASTS

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 21, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »

The 4th time i embarked and a dwarf was 'struck down by carp'.

The first three times were just wtf moments, but by the fourth i realised YOU SHOULD FEAR THE KING OF BEASTS
Only had one dwarf taken down by carp; for a long time my only interaction with carp was trying to lure them into my drowning traps, but since I learned how to drain rivers quickly and easily, my third order of business on embark is "Drain the rivers and drown the carp".

On topic: I was attempting to test the magma-proof-ness of green glass, particularly grates and bridges, by building a pump stack to bring magma up above ground level, from a pipe three levels below ground BTW, letting it flow through a glass grate, and into a cistern with a bridge for a floor. If the grate and bridge didn't melt by the time I'd cycled the bridge twice, I'd call it a success and begin using green glass any place I needed magma-proofing. Got everything built, bridges and gear assemblies linked to levers, and set it going. A moment later, I realized that the top pump, the one that was supposed to pump magma into the cistern, was pumping the wrong direction. Rather than pumping magma into a contained area, it was spraying magma over my windmills, which started to catch fire. Face, meet palm.

Fortunately, I have a new scheme, which should require fewer materials and can probably be built just in my obsidian farm.
Edit: Tested scheme, and everything worked fine, glass bridge, grate, and floodgate all worked with no problems, the second time I ran the test. The first time, everything again worked just fine and jim-dandy, because I'd left TEMPERATURE off; presumably a wooden floodgate with non-bauxite mechanisms would have done as well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:16:12 pm by darthbob88 »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 729