Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129983 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #780 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:10 pm »

If a caravan gets killed it's tough to haul all of it, unless you have a bin surplus. This surplus generally won't happen for about 5 years from founding...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 30, 2009, 01:17:20 am »

I got really worried today, since my only miner (I only have one pickaxe) wouldn't dig out all designated areas I had set. I researched what ores made what metals to produce another pickaxe, I tried getting a metalworking system started, etc. I got very worried since I kept running into dead ends on possible solutions to the problem, and thought I would have to wait out a caravan to bring me a pickaxe, which would have completely stunted my fortress growth and my work on defenses. Turns out I accidentally deselected mining for him. *facepalm*

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 31, 2009, 04:53:49 am »

I disembark and watch my surroundings.

The cart is in a ery nice place, next to a brook and right inbetween a sand + coal wall and a magnetite + aluminum wall.

I think "yahoo! metal!", and decide to start my fort on the magnetite wall.

Yes, I dug in the hard surface, destroying the materials with my unexperienced miners instead of building a fast cozy entrance on the sand.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 31, 2009, 02:22:21 pm »

Another siege. It was all going fine until the very end, when a bunch of dwarves decided to go grab something off the top of a partially-built tower. I didn't know orcish bowmen could shoot two z-levels above themselves!
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

TrueAnkh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:35 pm »

2 goblin ambushes with about 8 goblins attacked at about the same time, and I didn't even notice until 3 of my dwarves died :P

It was a total mess afterwards. My defense at this point is a retractable bridge (it was down right then) in a moat completely surrounding my fortress with a bunch of stonefall traps. The entrance to my fortress is 2 big walled rooms (the entrace/trade depot and the well from last page ._.) since there's no mountains for me to dig in.

There was a thief at the start who got injured by a stonefall trap and was just hobbling a few feet and falling unconsious over and over again. I send my military to go catch him (they are very good at doing nothing when they're supposed to be on duty) and find there's a goblin siege. I put an order for only soldiers to go outside, but a bunch of peasants and other dwarves with actual skills go out and try to either bury the ones already dead or to get the items they had, which resulted in 2 more deaths.

My army is of 9 marksdwarves and 2 of them died to defeat the rest of the goblins and only one escaped.

50 dwarves turned to 43 ._. I wish the game paused to tell me about the first ambush

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #785 on: January 01, 2010, 01:29:56 pm »

I wish the game paused to tell me about the first ambush

It normally does: "An ambush! Curse them!"
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #786 on: January 01, 2010, 03:04:52 pm »

Making a hole in the floor to allow water acess on my barracks and forgetting to add a grate. The soldiers sparred and fell in my cistern...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 01, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

Reloaded an old fortress to try out something, and remembered the reason I stopped playing this fortress was because my crossbowdwarves weren't training with their crossbows and nothing was going to make them start.  Then I checked their inventory... every single one had something else in their hands  ::)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 01, 2010, 04:05:07 pm »

My favourite champion, legendary hammerdwarf, about 60 notable kills, runs after a kobold wrestler. The wrestler sprints to the nearby magma pipe and simply plops my champion in. He burns for about 2 seconds (which I was impressed with). Wrestler was totally unharmed. Now all my engravings are of him burning. I've quit that fort now, I got so upset :( The facepalm is not walling off the damn pipe.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 01, 2010, 04:09:30 pm »

That is some smart fighting (by the kobold, not the hammerdwarf).
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 01, 2010, 04:12:21 pm »

I like to imagine he stuck a leg out as the steel clad artifact hammer wielding dwarf rushed towards him with great speed. It was amusing, but terribly upsetting since I loved that dwarf, now he doesn't even get a proper burial.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 02, 2010, 06:50:51 am »

Frying in the blood of Armok is a good enough death for ANY warrior. Especially your champion hammerdwarf.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #792 on: January 02, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »

I just discovered that you have to process turtles in a fishery before they can be eaten.

According to my stocks, I have 658 raw turtles.

*facepalm*

*sets craftsdwarf's workshop to repeat on shell crafts*
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 02, 2010, 05:47:45 pm »

I just discovered that you have to process turtles in a fishery before they can be eaten.

According to my stocks, I have 658 raw turtles.

*facepalm*

*sets craftsdwarf's workshop to repeat on shell crafts*
You have to process any vermin-fish. And since this isn't doen automatically (yet, next releas will do it) I hardly ever mine for fish.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 02, 2010, 06:27:24 pm »

You sure? I thought it was done automatically as long as you had a fishery and your fisher had fish-cleaning on. That said, I don't really fish myself either, but for different reasons: it isn't sustainable, as far as I know.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 729