Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137289 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #465 on: October 06, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »

Here's a good one... I spent a good deal of time and resources setting up some royal bedrooms for my incoming Queen and consort (assuming she has one).  Rooms fully engraved by legendary engravers, masterwork beds, decent statues, the works.  I get distracted by a goblin siege, of which I took only a single casualty and a couple wounded.

Guess where the wounded were taken?  That's right... into the brand new masterwork bedrooms, bloodying up the sheets.  I forgot to create bedrooms, so they were considered really nice hospital beds.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 06, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »

well you wont be getting any complaints from the prisoner  ::)
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 06, 2009, 11:14:44 pm »

By the twentieth year of my fort, I had created a vast palace for the Queen, her consort, and the advisor. Well, not really "vast," but it had artifact furniture in every room, especially the Queen's. I had never survived long enough to get a King/Queen before, but this fort was bloody unstoppable; I was well on my way this time, and I was well prepared for Queen and her mooching entourage.

A couple years later, I finally figured out how to get a goddamn count/duke, and before long, "The Incoming King" appeared on my Nobles screen for the first time in any of my forts. My architectural value was, of course, far greater than the requirement, so I set out to build the roads I needed. That didn't take long, but I was still dismayed that prior offerings to the dwarves over the last few years didn't count toward a queen. Ah well, it's only another three seasons to the next dwarf carava-

You have struck Hidden Fun Stone! Praise the miners!

Oh, for the love of carp. Ah well, I still have time. Whoop, here's the dwarf caravan, here's ten bins of goblin shit. I'm sorry I didn't meet the quota of fifteen bins of goblin shit I gave you the last couple years, but the goblins haven't been around here for a while. Okay, now I have all the requirements for the Queen, maybe that'll override the HFS and my giant castle won't have been a complete waste of ti-

The Queen has arrived, dressed as a peasant.

God-DAMNit.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 07, 2009, 01:51:58 pm »

I started a succession game with a friend, which had a disasterous first year. 4 dwarves drowned because of sea lampreys (in a river  ???) and another was mauled to death by a cougar. In the end there were only two dwarves left, the one I named after my friend and the one named after me. I had to outfit their bedrooms with lots of furniture to avoid them tantrumming and killing one another.

Later, when I got the fort back from my friend, I found that the small area I had dug out near the entrance (my miner had spent most of the first year in bed due to a mining accident) had simply been ignored in favour of digging all the way to the back of the map, digging five z-levels down, and starting again down in the rock layers.

What made me facepalm was just how badly he'd built it. All the workshops were sat in a line next to each other, none of the new dwarves had personal bedrooms and were practically living in the dining room, and he had dug out huge stone rooms for storage at the opposite end of the map to the workshops. The storage rooms were full of stone, he was half-way through making a communal sleeping area, and the farms were all in the top layer of soil that I had begun farming out, which meant that it took forever for the farmers to get up there and harvest, so all his season's crops rotted when he passed over to me.

There were other problems, but I'm not going to bother mentioning them. Just believe me when I say he made some very, very stupid and inefficient decisions. We've got access to a lot of stone, some gems, and some ore though, so I guess it's not all bad.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 07, 2009, 03:28:31 pm »

Playing with civ forge, my first vamari caravan somehow exploded, but the liason showed up anyway and requested ravens beaks. So, next fall, after the dwarven caravan left, I set my newly gained legendary weaponsmith to makind a couple dozen masterwork silver raven beaks. The caravan arrived. Then a chaos dwarven ambush lead by some kind of sword-welding avatar of death wipes out the entire caravan and leaves. Now I have no silver and a stokpile full of weapons I never use.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 07, 2009, 06:27:03 pm »

I once had a fantastic layout set up. I had dug into a naturally accuring bottleneck and had a wall and moat set up. Unfortunatly diggin the last part of the moat stranded my dwarfs outside, No biggy whatever build the bridge, Oh. why do you wanna go t o the otherside to build it? Fine lets make a staircase from inside to the top of the wall so they can go around, Whatever i'll keep this.

Ok lets wall up the outside up there for some farms, Might as well.  Woot walls done!!! Oh yay orc siege *pull lever raise bridge* ... ... ... Why are there orcs in my base? What do you mean they can travel diagonally around walls if I dont extend it over the edge? WTF? DIE DIE DIE *death*

Reclaim, Ok dodido no orcs around. *sits* o.o Ok why cant I use anything?

-------Second---------

I had built on the edge of this lake, I wanted a well and a safe fishing spot, Hadnt thought of water preasure. Ok now whole forts flooded, All of my food and alcohol is down in the stock rooms underwater. I managed to save aLL my dwarfs though by locking all the doors and digging escape routs to the surface.  Now then. Lets pump out some water! *Warning <dwarf has drowned>* Huh wat? What do you mean three pumps = too much water? First they stopped working due to dangerous terrain, Next they were pushed by the water into the lake.  GG

Irasian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 08, 2009, 10:01:16 pm »

When I started on a map with which I thought was perfect
flux stone yes
Temperature Temperate
Heavily forested
heavy vegetation
magma pipe
calm
underground river
soil layer

and I forgot to bring picks and any sort of metal item besides an axe. Don't ask how I managed it.
 :'(

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:46 am »

flux stone yes
Temperature Temperate
Heavily forested
heavy vegetation
magma pipe
calm
underground river
soil layer

and I forgot to bring picks and any sort of metal item besides an axe. Don't ask how I managed it.

Cut trees -> melt axe -> make pick? :)
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 09, 2009, 11:51:52 am »

This is a modding facepalm, so I dunno if it counts, but...

I'm running Dig Deeper, and I got bored with Orcs monopolizing the war effort, so I introduced a new civ, a composite of Snakemen, Frogmen, and Lizardmen.

THEY WIPED OUT ALL THE ORCS ENTIRELY. OH GOD.

Bit of a facepalm for me.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 09, 2009, 02:15:44 pm »

flux stone yes
Temperature Temperate
Heavily forested
heavy vegetation
magma pipe
calm
underground river
soil layer

Cut trees -> melt axe -> make pick? :)
Needs an anvil, and at least one fire safe stone to make a wood burning kiln, then a furnace, then a forge.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 09, 2009, 05:41:07 pm »

You have magma, I can see if you didnty bring an anvil but DONT LET IT DISCOURAGE YOU...  Magma forge outta wood? lets du eet!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 09, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »

It's a moot point, seeing as I doubt melting that axe will give you a whole steel bar.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 09, 2009, 06:51:51 pm »

flux stone yes
Temperature Temperate
Heavily forested
heavy vegetation
magma pipe
calm
underground river
soil layer

Mind posting the parameters for that map?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 09, 2009, 07:07:23 pm »

But really, you have axe, you have trees.  Gather up plants for an above ground farm, build a palisade, and hold out til the fall.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 10, 2009, 11:33:55 am »

flux stone yes
Temperature Temperate
Heavily forested
heavy vegetation
magma pipe
calm
underground river
soil layer

Bah, easy. I do that all the time for fun, just gather wood and above ground plants/fish. That axe lets you build furniture and buildings, you can cook or make wood/leather/bone crafts for the caravan. Easy as pie.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 729