Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130008 times)

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10470 on: September 13, 2018, 03:32:13 pm »

Chapter 2:

I build a carbon copy of the submerged hospital. This time I test the drawbridge before I connect the 2nd cistern to the 1st. Works perfectly. I send my Legendary Miner, one of the Seven founders, to knock out that last rock to connect the cisterns. I figure she could do the job quickly enough to run up the ramp & through the door to safety...

Never realized how powerful water pressure can be (*facepalm*). The 2nd cistern fills nearly instantly, drowning poor Etur Mistemadas. Now her body is permanently sealed into the cistern.

At least the hospital is finished.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: September 17, 2018, 06:46:18 am »

As with everything, production required a death sacrifice.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: September 18, 2018, 08:55:26 pm »

I found a kid in hospital with mangled left hand. So, I looked around for blood.

Found blood spattering in the minecart repeater room, on the track, and a dwarf trying to scrub it off, but failed because the minecart interrupted him.

The cleaning dwarf then decided a minecart repeater track is a good place to take a nap. Before the minecart was stopped...

The dwarf survived.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: September 20, 2018, 05:58:18 am »

Wants to build a dwarven Alhambra with bricks.
Has 8 dwarfs making bricks non stop.
-300 bricks later-
Finds out bricks aren't red.
*facepalm*
Alhambra is going to look wooden.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: September 20, 2018, 10:01:41 am »

You could mod to change that. Though I think the clay bricks come in shades of gray.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:25 am »

You could mod to change that. Though I think the clay bricks come in shades of gray.
<insert joke about a popular overrated BDSM-fantasy-novel here> :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: September 20, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »

Only three shades, there. Even Dragonmaster's set has only like twenty shades, half of them unsuitable for building.

Dowly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:53 am »

Whenever I start a new fort, I like to name the first seven, usually using some dwarven name generator.

In my current fort, I chose the name 'Lavaminer' for one of my starting miners. He became legendary among his peers.

One day, 'Lavaminer' Asmelethab was digging deep underground when he came across a wall that felt suspiciously warm.

As he was about to turn around and head back up he heard a cryptic voice in his head: "(d)-(d)".

Shortly after, a craftsdwarf heard an equally cryptic voice: "alt+s"

(I'm an idiot)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: September 30, 2018, 11:39:40 am »

As he was about to turn around and head back up he heard a cryptic voice in his head: "(d)-(d)".

Now I want to believe this is how dwarfs get their orders.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: September 30, 2018, 03:15:56 pm »

Now I want to believe this is how dwarfs get their orders.

Makes sense. I guess insane dwarves stop taking orders because they've decided to listen to one of the other voices in their heads. Maybe THIS voice won't have me go dig into the mag--"go dive into the magma"--Urist McMelancholy burned to death.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: October 13, 2018, 06:26:16 pm »

went 7 months into fortress didn't smelt anything until I found the magma sea.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: October 14, 2018, 06:03:21 am »

used marking mode channel designations to mark where my roads shall go... later found a boulder in the path and designated smooting - which activated that tile for channeling. so the caravan's wagons went by without going to my depot :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: October 24, 2018, 01:10:46 pm »

used marking mode channel designations to mark where my roads shall go... later found a boulder in the path and designated smooting - which activated that tile for channeling. so the caravan's wagons went by without going to my depot :(
My latest caravan got almost all the way to my depot, with two wagons not quite there yet, and then stopped in its tracks for no discernable reason.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: October 24, 2018, 05:25:29 pm »

My latest caravan got almost all the way to my depot, with two wagons not quite there yet, and then stopped in its tracks for no discernable reason.

Did a tree grow somewhere on its path suddenly or a wall get finished that blocked their path?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: October 24, 2018, 07:32:15 pm »

Did a tree grow somewhere on its path suddenly or a wall get finished that blocked their path?
Nope, the depot's still accessible. I should make a road, though, it's pretty foresty.

In other facepalm news, I just learned that I actually have two Baronesses named Stinthäd...and I convicted the wrong one for punching my legendary mechanic to death. Twice. Oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 729