Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129891 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10200 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »

I forgot the lever that opened clown breeding program to the outside world and the one that closed my gate for a siege, thankfully the goblins kept them busy for the most part, still lost 20 dwarves dropping my popilation to 100 and migrants seem to have stopped coming as my dead dwarves have jumped to over 300 now.
I very much wish to be enlightened concerning this "clown breeding program." I wasn't aware anyone had even tried that.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: October 11, 2017, 06:35:25 pm »

I forgot the lever that opened clown breeding program to the outside world and the one that closed my gate for a siege, thankfully the goblins kept them busy for the most part, still lost 20 dwarves dropping my popilation to 100 and migrants seem to have stopped coming as my dead dwarves have jumped to over 300 now.
I very much wish to be enlightened concerning this "clown breeding program." I wasn't aware anyone had even tried that.
Just lock them in a room and let them multiply like rabbits. Happens a lot unintentionally when one walls off the HFS.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:41 pm »

A rather standard facepalm, but I thought I knew better!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:07 am »

For a moment there I actually forgot what clown meant. My mental image was fairly comical.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: October 12, 2017, 05:54:04 pm »

Yeah, that kind of forgetting what it means happens to clowns a lot.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: October 13, 2017, 09:08:07 am »

Yeah, that kind of forgetting what it means happens to clowns a lot.
Hey! Lol.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: October 13, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »

Just lock them in a room and let them multiply like rabbits. Happens a lot unintentionally when one walls off the HFS.
Do they breed like normal livestock, or just appear?
What useful interesting things do you do with them?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: October 13, 2017, 08:31:22 pm »

Do they breed like normal livestock, or just appear?
What useful interesting things do you do with them?
got a bunch of wormy clowns I use cave spiders to trap and archers and an adamantine masterwork trap to kill, I have it made into a searies of rooms connected together with refillable bait in the center. They produce leather and meats that feed my dwarves.
They also spit fire which is why I built a tower near the enterance of my fort with fortifications covered by bridges I can lower in case of a seige.
There was also the "fuck the world" release gate to the surface connected to a lever that released all the trapped clowns.

Many cats have been sacrifice in producing this, their meat lay unclaimed and forgotten never to be used in a muffin.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: October 13, 2017, 08:39:15 pm »

Huh. It occurs to me now that I've never had meat-filled muffin. Interesting idea!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:39 am »

Trying to pull werebadger adventurer in a fortress. I placed fortress just outside the town adventurer lives in. Digged hole in the ground with 7 starter dwarves, retired. Unretired adventurer, settled. Why "reclaim fortress"!?
    Ok, backup save, Played a lsome more, retire, unretire. There are tons of people in the forttress. But where the "nobles"?
Here they are

i killed their "overlord" and settled in. Now it allow me to unretire the fortress. When i do this, it turns out that there are only 5 dwarf cityzens left, and there are 77 damned visitors.
    Backup. Played a little more, get some dwarves, killed some dwarves. Get 33 dwarves and 29 long-time residentws which i'm pretty sure i didn't accepted. Unretired adventurer, payed a visit to previously converted lord.

He is perfectly healthy, but it probably still makes some sense. Why after 2-3 years, though?
Get to fortress. there are same set of managers in the tent, but they are a lot more people around, including actual sherrif and militia captain (Likot Arrowrope. Thief?  ;D).  I killed sleepers in a tent, horrified to  ! macedwarf that peeked in to see what's going on, and threw they corpses around. Then talked to captain, and she happily accepted me after i telled her about murders in a tent. All right, but why the hell all that people are outside fortress territory?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unritired fort. There are 4 dwarfs, 5 childs, and 5 residents, with 100+ visitors. Why you filthy fucks don't stay in the fortress?! Is it even possible to make them all stay in it?

Also, game continues to amuse me with new strings of dialogue.

Oh, and this bastard. He managed to get out of water AND drown at the same time
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:39:17 am by MCreeper »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: October 19, 2017, 08:28:21 pm »

Oh, and this bastard. He managed to get out of water AND drown at the same time.

I guess his lungs might have been filled with water, so even if he wasn't submerged he still couldn't breath?

Or it's just a glitch, maybe caused by the game checking to see if you've drowned before checking to see if you're underwater.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: October 19, 2017, 08:48:13 pm »

Oh, and this bastard. He managed to get out of water AND drown at the same time.

I guess his lungs might have been filled with water, so even if he wasn't submerged he still couldn't breath?

Or it's just a glitch, maybe caused by the game checking to see if you've drowned before checking to see if you're underwater.

IIRC, when a creature gets out of the water, they're still classified as drowning for the next tick (or couple of ticks, I don't know.) Have seen it with my adventurers.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:20 am »

A mistake I keep making: just because you have one unanimated corpse doesn't mean the biome isn't reanimating. If it's mangled the biome may still be.

So yeah, I made a wrong assumption and got everybody killed by an undead troll.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: October 21, 2017, 05:10:48 am »

IIRC, when a creature gets out of the water, they're still classified as drowning for the next tick (or couple of ticks, I don't know.) Have seen it with my adventurers.

Im not even sure, i think its just poor computing of the health states. I've heard choking on your own vomit but really that could be put down to the same thing of what should be a minor asphyxiation event being drawn out of a long while.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: October 23, 2017, 01:39:51 pm »

Had a dwarf (old version of DF) stand sobbing while a giant cave bat attacked him, refused to drop the boulder he was carrying and use his pickaxe, just stood there sobbing till death... Then the hand reanimated, attacked, was defeated then the body reanimated because the dwarves REFUSED to move the corpse for any reason. Fortress died. Then again, with a gene pool that shallow good riddance to them, they are not dwarfy enough. DF is one hell of a "natural selection" game.
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 729