Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136798 times)

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9930 on: December 01, 2016, 06:36:50 pm »

You need to block it off somewhere early along this moat, so that you fill a reservoir; then dump it into the next blocked section so it doesn't get down the evaporation levels (the levels where it evaporates more quickly). Never expose more blocks than you can fill to 3/7 or better quickly. If you ever can't fill it any more from the brook (i.e. surface evaporation (not finishing-the-tile-off evaporation, which I believe is quicker) outruns the supply), THEN you get a pumpstack. Other than that, you shouldn't really need one, honestly. The brook should supply sufficient water for your moat, once you get it filled at least. GL on that. And do check the aquifer thing, lol, that would be an issue.

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: December 02, 2016, 07:42:22 am »

I had my miner channel a ramp down below to mine some adamantium and forgot to check if he could get back up.  He ended up dying stranded and I didn't find out about it until he'd been missing for a week.  Armok is not a cruel god, merely thoughtless.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: December 02, 2016, 07:51:23 am »

You need to block it off somewhere early along this moat, so that you fill a reservoir; then dump it into the next blocked section so it doesn't get down the evaporation levels (the levels where it evaporates more quickly). Never expose more blocks than you can fill to 3/7 or better quickly. If you ever can't fill it any more from the brook (i.e. surface evaporation (not finishing-the-tile-off evaporation, which I believe is quicker) outruns the supply), THEN you get a pumpstack. Other than that, you shouldn't really need one, honestly. The brook should supply sufficient water for your moat, once you get it filled at least. GL on that. And do check the aquifer thing, lol, that would be an issue.

Thanks. I don't have any aquifers on my map so that shouldn't be an issue (otherwise would be a much easier source of more water...).
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: December 02, 2016, 09:27:19 am »

On the plus side, anybody foolish enough to set foot into my permanently draining "moat" has an insane amount of current pulling them down into the aquifer, so there's that.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: December 04, 2016, 03:09:02 am »

Finally channelled the riverbank to fill my moat.
From the wiki "At high temperatures (usually found in Scorching climates) water can evaporate at greater depths, even 7/7. This is generally accompanied by the grass drying out and turning yellow. "  You might experience evaporation even when your moat is full, from whatever source, so you'll need a constant flow going in. What about diverting the entire brook? Run a few pumps to move water from the brook into the channel and wall the brook's downstream.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:24 am »

Maybe that evaporation would be less present if you lined your moat with nether-cap floors?

*edit* probing some nether-cap floor clouds I have laying around in hot biome I get 10055 urist temp. Guess not.

Actual facepalm, now:

After calculating few hours for other possible designs for exact month-long toggle (mainly to prevent individual training in inactive barracks, though swimming kids would be neat), realized that I can toggle between 299 and 301 signals by just installing a retratcing bridge over ?. Which gives exactly a month with 112 pushes/cycle (ex. by high friction track stop, and 46/129 urist minecart weights).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:47:58 am by Fleeting Frames »

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: December 05, 2016, 05:24:36 am »

Moat problems solved. Damming the brook's exit stream made a big difference (even though it was only 1 deep near there so I hadn't thought I was losing much), as did building a wall halfway along (the moat is 2z deep so it filled up all the way along, then overflowed the wall and filled up the other half). Worth noting that rain helps a lot too, as it seems to slow or stop evaporation.

Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: December 07, 2016, 05:08:52 pm »

You might have changed seasons and the rate of evaporation and rate of rain changed. Regions in Australia have dry seasons where there is just mud during the dry season where ponds or streams were. Some critters that depend on the water hibernate.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: December 09, 2016, 04:36:35 pm »

After painstakingly plugging an aquifer, making it through and starting a fortress underneath, then accidentally digging into a portion of the aquifer that extended into a lower level and flooding that fortress.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #9939 on: December 11, 2016, 09:48:42 pm »

Couldn't finish constructing my catapults. Set two dwarves to do nothing but siege operating and architecture. Turns out my siege engineer was dead. He tried to rescue a comrade who had chosen to sleep in a forbidden corner of the fortress while a colossus was invading. I suicided 40 dwarves trying to save them, and then raged when a forgotten beast invaded the fort one month later. The forgotten beast died in one hit. I think I need a barracks dormitory for my squads. Also... When trees grew branches and creating floors nearby would cause game to crash :( And every time I've forgotten to clear a path to my depot >.>

realized that I can toggle between 299 and 301 signals by just installing a retratcing bridge over ?. Which gives exactly a month with 112 pushes/cycle (ex. by high friction track stop, and 46/129 urist minecart weights).
Oh - pshaw - yeah! *hunches shoulders* Totally obvious...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:54:12 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:06 am »

One of my dwarves prefers to eat giant Moon Snails... Fair enough.
Oh, but he also absolutely detests Moon Snails.

Size matters I guess.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: December 12, 2016, 02:59:16 am »

One of my dwarves prefers to eat giant Moon Snails... Fair enough.
Oh, but he also absolutely detests Moon Snails.

Size matters I guess.

I have a friend who hates and fears fish.  She absolutely loves eating sea-food.  Maybe it is the same with this guy.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: December 12, 2016, 08:13:13 am »

Oh - pshaw - yeah! *hunches shoulders* Totally obvious...
Thanks for quoting me. I now look at it and realize that it can't be right, it wouldn't toggle between different ramp slants but ramp slant and flat...and test reveals it does act as stop button instead >_>

Back to drawing board, I guess.

Ah well. At least can still just use two of them and wedged grate or bridge to toggle whether 299 or 301 input is used alternatively. Kinda works for month-long timer, but not so much for shorter ones.

Or put 301 and 299 opposing each other for 299^2 steps per two pushes...Which is far too large and clumsy to be useful for much anything expect perhaps child seals, what's with 9,02 pushes fitting in a year.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #9943 on: December 12, 2016, 12:55:56 pm »

I don't know how to make bridges OR minecart tracks. Still trying to make plaster powder, chain mail, and enough coffins/caskets. Then I can think about steel or power generators.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: December 12, 2016, 05:50:54 pm »

One of the resident dukes has made a demand!

A steel bed in his room.
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 729