Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137423 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9270 on: May 09, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »

I accidentally linked my food plots to each other and to my still so that the plump helmets I needed to make beer where always being moved around, I am pretty sure that at one point I had around 120 plump helmets in a barrel being moved to a different barrel and from there to another one and finally back to the original one. on the plus side my dwarves aren't wandering near the pack of war elephants left by the damn elves. now if only hauling could level stats like strength and agility.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: May 09, 2015, 09:29:56 pm »

In my excitement at having figured out scaffolding for multi-z constructions, I completely forgot to cut my stones into blocks :-[  I was wondering why my Dwarves were taking so long to build stuff.  4 ingame years later, I realized they had been hauling raw boulders.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: May 10, 2015, 10:53:30 am »

How encouraging.

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: May 10, 2015, 08:32:17 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Oh man same here for me.

I remember digging out a large room, and then sighing as I would press 'k' then I'd press right, D, right, D, right, D etc etc until i marked like 200 stones for dumping.

Then someone showed me mass dumping...  I love that man.

You two just saved me so much time 0_0
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: May 10, 2015, 09:29:41 pm »

Of course, only after I embarked did the goblin civilization die out... Sigh. We can only hope for better adversaries.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: May 13, 2015, 03:42:52 pm »

Yeah... I had nearly completed my 3-floor magma cast "experiment" when the dead came walking in. I barred the entrance corridor with lead just behind the traps then sat down to notice that the dead had used my magma cast pipe to enter the fortress. I had forgotten to remove the ramps leading up the hillside of the obsidian moat... Should have built a higher moat.
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Uberpooch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: May 14, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »

One of my first successful fortresses.  It had it all: magma forges, legendary dining hall with mist generators, a thriving steel and gem crafting industry, everything a good dwarf could want.  I had just finished equipping and training a strong military, which guarded the fort from a granite tower, equipped with enough siege engines and bowdwarfs to repel a colossus.  The final touch was to be a moat surrounding the tower, more for the coolness of having a moat than out of necessity.  I dug a channel around the tower, then filled it by channeling to the nearby river.  Within seconds, I began getting job cancellation warnings.  I checked and found that the bottom four levels of my fort were full of water, and the rest was filling up fast.  The cause?  I had channeled the moat right across the ceiling of my dining hall.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: May 15, 2015, 11:11:05 am »

One of my first successful fortresses.  It had it all: magma forges, legendary dining hall with mist generators, a thriving steel and gem crafting industry, everything a good dwarf could want.  I had just finished equipping and training a strong military, which guarded the fort from a granite tower, equipped with enough siege engines and bowdwarfs to repel a colossus.  The final touch was to be a moat surrounding the tower, more for the coolness of having a moat than out of necessity.  I dug a channel around the tower, then filled it by channeling to the nearby river.  Within seconds, I began getting job cancellation warnings.  I checked and found that the bottom four levels of my fort were full of water, and the rest was filling up fast.  The cause?  I had channeled the moat right across the ceiling of my dining hall.

Hehe... I can only symphatize you. Currently I've reclaimed my obsidian basement and casting a second 5 stories magmacast on it. It's starting to look like something awesome. I like to channel moats in aquifers. Those moats won't be deep but at least easy to fill. And you can't mess up with them so easily. It's just starting the new fortress with having to break through the aquifer >)
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Thuris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: May 18, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »

Started a fort that was going extremely well. Then suddenly, Werebeast. Killed 1 and mauled 3, but was put down by a recruit in steel. Werebeast managed to land a bite on the recruit a few ticks before it died of blood loss. Except for an Engraver, who just got a good kick that broke ribs and punctured a lung (went a whole year blinking without any issues until I finally got the hospital up), everyone who got bit was to be left outside until the next moon healed them and then dealt with. Ordered the gate to the entryway courtyard pulled and the fort continued it's business. Occasionally checked on them with no issues, but when I checked last, the recruit had vanished since I last checked. 'z'oomed to him, and somehow, whether he jumped into the 2z level dry moat and used the retrieval passageway I forgot to raise the bridge to block, or he climbed a tree near the walls, he was in the fort in the farms. Tried to burrow him somewhere safe, but he turned seconds after unpausing and proceded to kill a farmer and bit another farmer, my main brewer, and my broker before being killed by a pickaxe. Had to atom smash the survivors. I now really hate werebeasts, especially since my fort gets 6 a year almost.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:14:09 am by Thuris »

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:08 am »

i got two:

first time i found adamantium. i decided to take it easy(i knew about the circus) so i started nitpicking one at a time. i selected one adamantium block to be mined. mined it. AND boom. "circus came to town"

second happened just five minutes ago. i had just survived a large goblin siege, my military was resting when BLAM. my first ever forgotten beast. i panicked. took all of my militia and sent them at him. then i watched how the titanic beast slowly kept creeping towards my underground entrance..untill it fell down a chasm into water...where it is stuck now...i have chosen to ignore it. and maybe someday flood the underground lake its stuck in with lava or something if it doesnt drown..

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: May 19, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »

i got two:

first time i found adamantium. i decided to take it easy(i knew about the circus) so i started nitpicking one at a time. i selected one adamantium block to be mined. mined it. AND boom. "circus came to town"

second happened just five minutes ago. i had just survived a large goblin siege, my military was resting when BLAM. my first ever forgotten beast. i panicked. took all of my militia and sent them at him. then i watched how the titanic beast slowly kept creeping towards my underground entrance..untill it fell down a chasm into water...where it is stuck now...i have chosen to ignore it. and maybe someday flood the underground lake its stuck in with lava or something if it doesnt drown..
What's the forgotten beast?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: May 19, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »

i got two:

it was actually quite underwhelming. i no longer have the reports for it but..it was something like a bloated body made out of something i cant recall with external ribs,poison breath and excreted some sort of gas from its skin. ofcourse the gas it created didnt help him for shit as he was choking on it himself...

it only took one military squad to kill him after a prolonged fight. and from that squad only 3 died and 2 ended up in hospital...ofcourse they WERE a full squad of hammer lords..so that might be helping it a little. but still. it was quite underwhelming for my first fb...

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: May 19, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »

i got two:

it was actually quite underwhelming. i no longer have the reports for it but..it was something like a bloated body made out of something i cant recall with external ribs,poison breath and excreted some sort of gas from its skin. ofcourse the gas it created didnt help him for shit as he was choking on it himself...

it only took one military squad to kill him after a prolonged fight. and from that squad only 3 died and 2 ended up in hospital...ofcourse they WERE a full squad of hammer lords..so that might be helping it a little. but still. it was quite underwhelming for my first fb...
Next time try to capture him with a cage traps circling a chained up cat in and area near where he is at Brit far enough away that he won't agro to the builders immediately
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: May 19, 2015, 11:01:25 pm »

Are forgotten beast encounters rare? I run into them quite frequently, but I hear experienced players say they haven't seen any before or have run into their first one frequently on the forums.

That being said, I've never seen a megabeast that wasn't either a forgotten beast or a titan.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: May 20, 2015, 02:03:32 am »

Are forgotten beast encounters rare? I run into them quite frequently, but I hear experienced players say they haven't seen any before or have run into their first one frequently on the forums.

That being said, I've never seen a megabeast that wasn't either a forgotten beast or a titan.

AFAIK this depends on the initial number of FBs, the length of history (how many are slain before you start) and whether your caverns are open to the outside. I play with high number of them and short history, so they keep queuing up in front of (or under) my doorstep. Usually they take care of each other. I would totally love it if they would not be hostile towards each other, as it takes me usually quite a while to get my military up and running...

FP: apparently my military has been training with a convolute of weapons... though I told them: get these nice and shiny masterworked steel axes, see them? tyhey are over there.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 729