Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130001 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9180 on: February 27, 2015, 01:58:19 am »

Turns out, creatures with very high internal temperature (such as fire imps) still radiate heat from inside a cage. "Urist McCageHauler cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Head melted off."
That's very strange. Hauler doesn't touch the item he hauls. A dwarf can haul a minecart full of magma safely, and also can haul a corpse coated with poisonous blood without getting any contaminant on his hands.
The tile might heat up fairly quickly, depending on hauling speed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: March 02, 2015, 02:44:37 am »

Turns out, creatures with very high internal temperature (such as fire imps) still radiate heat from inside a cage. "Urist McCageHauler cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Head melted off."
That's very strange. Hauler doesn't touch the item he hauls. A dwarf can haul a minecart full of magma safely, and also can haul a corpse coated with poisonous blood without getting any contaminant on his hands.
The tile might heat up fairly quickly, depending on hauling speed.

I'm building *cough*shameless plug*cough* Ilrom Ziril, an epic community fortress around a volcano, and it turns out, if you drop anything into a volcano that's solid enough to reach the bottom then you awaken the Fire Imps, which will begin their slow journey to the surface and climb out of the crater in a few months.

I noticed that there was a trail of blood behind the dwarf carrying the cage and checked her stat page, which said "Her head is melted.", and I'm positive she hadn't been near any heat sources before that. She had stats like "incredibly weak, very flimsy", so that might be a prerequisite. A tougher dwarf was able to haul the cage quite a bit further without any symptoms, but he might have succumbed too eventually.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

DukeGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: March 04, 2015, 10:09:14 am »

I started walling the outside of my fortress entrance into something resembling a castle, both to guard my new attempts at tree farming areas and such. I thought myself lucky, since I started close to what I thought was a perfectly nice mountain, that surely would mean I didn't need to wall in that direction

So, I start from the "mountain" and wall around...

And then a wagon comes straight through the mountains walls. I check one z-level up, and find out, I haven't actually been with my backs toward a mountain, just some ramps...

Morsion

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Older The Beard The More Respect.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: March 04, 2015, 09:21:32 pm »

Sent Unarmed Dwarf's To Fight A FB.... Forgot To Arm Them.
I Would Hate To See Armok Drunk.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: March 05, 2015, 01:25:59 am »

That has happened to me once. Well, something like it. I sent them out armed... the FB unarmed them.

Led to a lot of "Urist McArmless cancels pick up dwarf arm: No hands" types of comments.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: March 05, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »

That has happened to me once. Well, something like it. I sent them out armed... the FB unarmed them.

Led to a lot of "Urist McArmless cancels pick up dwarf arm: No hands" types of comments.
Hehehe.

I once had a cave crocidile snap off, with incredible precision, the both hands of the migrant pump operator who encountered it, leaving said dwarf otherwise in good health.

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:01 pm »

Made my kitchen into an area with fortifications for windows. Was planning to lure the invaders into the main dining hall, then have my crossbowmen fire at them. But, I forgot to forbid the door INTO the meeting hall, so my zero melee experienced military charged the superior force with blunt objects.

The militia was massacred.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: March 06, 2015, 10:33:37 pm »

Saw a miner standing around with No Job, and looked over the level to see unmined designations. So I started loading him up with jobs that I usually take miners off of ("You can start hauling those rocks you've been leaving behind!") and check later, still No Job. So I called him to attention and checked to see if he was equipped. He wasn't, because he'd just dropped everything when I activated him as a soldier. The reason he had No Job was because he was stuck down a mineshaft I'd half-designated, but thought I left disconnected from everything else.

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: March 07, 2015, 08:08:47 am »

Two of my elite soldiers got killed by training spears because I had ordered a uniform change while they were training in the danger room.  ::)
The stripped naked on the spot and were promptly impaled  :-X

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: March 07, 2015, 08:40:52 am »

Two of my elite soldiers got killed by training spears because I had ordered a uniform change while they were training in the danger room.  ::)
That's the whole point of danger rooms, isn't it? "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", eh? I guess it didn't make them stronger this time...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: March 07, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »

That's the whole point of danger rooms, isn't it? "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", eh? I guess it didn't make them stronger this time...

They forgot their Safeword?

Plus of course: "No making nookie in the Danger Room!"
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: March 08, 2015, 07:29:30 pm »

Everyone got upset about a dead gorlak, so I had him stockpiled out of the way. For over a year, people still freaked out going past that floor, and I dismissed them as overly sensitive. While trying to get rocks dumped from the room I noticed his teeth still there, forbidden under a chunk of diorite. I might never have seen them. But was all this drama over a couple gorlak teeth necessary?

duleshna

• Bay Watcher
  • The Eyes are the Mirror of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:52 am »

Just recently learned why making stone blocks is useful. They weigh a ton less.
Been watching the poor dwarfs slaving their butts off slowly carrying regular rocks to my buildings and whatnot across the map until this point...
"Fear's a disease. You catch it. You spread it. You never really get better."
- World of Darkness: Mythologies

3x3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: March 10, 2015, 08:28:03 am »

Cave troll killed a child, another one saw the body. Much later the child started to hit other dwarfs, everything ended in a massive fight with some kills. Pretty sad.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: March 10, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »

Just recently learned why making stone blocks is useful. They weigh a ton less.
Been watching the poor dwarfs slaving their butts off slowly carrying regular rocks to my buildings and whatnot across the map until this point...

They also, reputedly (I've not done any ☼science☼ on it) make smoother walls. So that things that aren't legendary at climbing might have a harder time climbing the structures.
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 729