Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130089 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8370 on: February 28, 2014, 07:10:53 am »

In 215, a dwarf civ attacked a goblin civ. The attackers had 2,283 dwarves, 200 humans, 5 elk birds and 5 cave crocodiles. The defenders had 12 goblins and 2 trolls. Dwarven casualties? 2,192. Goblin casualties? 12...
"Defender was victorious."
...HOW??
It is because game handles world-gen wars in rather "interesting" way. You see, these battles are done as series of one-on-one fights. So everyone on both sides waits for their turn. I bet after those 12 losses 13th gobo was some buffed mutha that slaughtered almost every dwarf in this attack.
I hope Toady will fix it soon*.

*Defined as "before heat death of universe".
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:41 am »

In 215, a dwarf civ attacked a goblin civ. The attackers had 2,283 dwarves, 200 humans, 5 elk birds and 5 cave crocodiles. The defenders had 12 goblins and 2 trolls. Dwarven casualties? 2,192. Goblin casualties? 12...

Could you please share your world-gen parameters? I'm looking forward to read into this wonderful goblin paradise...
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: February 28, 2014, 10:46:15 am »

Could you please share your world-gen parameters? I'm looking forward to read into this wonderful goblin paradise...

I wouldn't call it a goblin paradise since they were eventually defeated, had their cities pillaged and a dwarf government installed. I'm afraid I don't know the params, and trashed the world after not finding any embarks that I wanted...

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: February 28, 2014, 12:18:17 pm »

I wouldn't call it a goblin paradise since they were eventually defeated, had their cities pillaged and a dwarf government installed. I'm afraid I don't know the params, and trashed the world after not finding any embarks that I wanted...

Oh well... my quest for the ultimate goblin warrior continues.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: February 28, 2014, 06:19:15 pm »

Looking at how lopsided sieges in fort mode can be, i don't find those exchanges so unusual. With military, i tend to get something like two or three dead civilians and perhaps one marksdwarf who ended up in melee vs. 80+ dead goblins and trolls. And i think "defenders" only counts the actual soldiers a side has, so civilian casualties might be ignored in the records.

In purely trapped forts, all the action my dwarfs see tends to be "In the autumn of 285, the siege operator Urist McNinnyhammer was startled by a terrible hostile horse a hundred metres, a ditch and a fortification away." I don't think this kind of encounter is tracked in legends.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »

More of a whoops than a facepalm.

I used immolate all to do a clearing burn of the caverns and apparently I forgot that my bag quantum stockpile was next to a soil tile, so those, and my seed bags burned, along with all of the seeds. However, it's no problem since a majority of it was accumulated goblin theif bags and I have over 700 each of plump helmets and sun berries. Plus it's an opportunity to use the 500+ leather that I have quantum stockpiled.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: March 02, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

Looking at how lopsided sieges in fort mode can be, i don't find those exchanges so unusual. With military, i tend to get something like two or three dead civilians and perhaps one marksdwarf who ended up in melee vs. 80+ dead goblins and trolls. And i think "defenders" only counts the actual soldiers a side has, so civilian casualties might be ignored in the records.

In purely trapped forts, all the action my dwarfs see tends to be "In the autumn of 285, the siege operator Urist McNinnyhammer was startled by a terrible hostile horse a hundred metres, a ditch and a fortification away." I don't think this kind of encounter is tracked in legends.

The reason this happens, IIRC, is that worldgen battles are fought one-on-one rather than army-to-army. The first goblin fights the first dwarf; if he beats that dwarf, he fights the next one, etc. So, people can never be "outnumbered" right now — so long as one of the twelve goblins can beat each dwarf in the army individually, he can defeat the entire siege.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:51:47 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

lukaslpzi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: March 03, 2014, 08:34:48 am »

Im starting my first milta, my anvil got stolen, so noone of them have any armor, just random weapons. Baracks with beds, armor stands, wapon racks, and some coffers. Sometimes my soldiers wont train so im waiting to see them wrestle. Yes, they do ! But fiev moments later, one of my soldiers (the capitan) trip on one of beds, hit it hard with his hed and dies... Since then I train my milta in separate empty room.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: March 03, 2014, 10:04:37 am »

I don't think you can actually collide with furniture like that in DF.....

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Finis sanctificat media.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: March 03, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

That's hilarious. The crying at the end got me.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: March 03, 2014, 01:13:12 pm »

As much as I love the idea of the towering "How's the weather on that side of the clouds?" giant as the next guy, if anyone's seen the new Hanzel and Gretel (it's cheesy fun, don't judge me. :) ) I really like how they did the troll/giant in that.

It ALMOST works with the square/cube law, and goddamn that thing would just... yeah.  Holy crap.  However, he's not going over any walls, either.  THROUGH maybe...   :o

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: March 07, 2014, 05:32:11 pm »

My military just finished off a forgotten beast with deadly blood.
My captain and his first man have lost both a left leg in this fight.
Deadly blood apparantly was a muscle-rotting stuff, cause both got numb and both got miasmas around pretty quickly..
I have a special squad of nurses who have only helping wounded labours enabled. And they ignored both of my militaries for so freaking long!
I mumbled around with trying to take em out of squad, stationing them somwhere else, etc, but no one cared, and Nurses had 'No job' for a reaallly long time.
Now the suturing has begun, yes, but it begun after half-a-year of both my best men laying in caverns in pool of crap.
I am disappoint.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »

you need more diagnosticians. nurses won't do anything without a diagnosis.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

DanielTDS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:29 pm »

Yesterday, my recently started new fort has been ambushed by a very dangerous creature. The strongest I have ever seen. Here comes Cisli Honuices, the human... CHILD?

http://postimg.org/image/t5x4rj4cn

Serioulsy, is that meant to happen? Is this normal? What was that?

It wandered into my fort, didn't cause any trouble. But as I had never dealt with this situation before, railed the military, which easily dispatched him.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:40:19 pm by DanielTDS »
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 729