Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137314 times)

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8175 on: December 02, 2013, 11:44:37 am »

Nah, stick it in a weapon trap to boost the value of a room.
No traps allowed in this fort! Military only. I might do what I usually do with artifacts and put it in a custom stockpile in a private statue garden for the weaponsmith. I know that has no effect on room value, I just do it for my own aesthetic enjoyment really. Or make a room full of a number of one tile stockpiles deep underground as a treasure vault haha.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: December 03, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »

Or make a room full of a number of one tile stockpiles deep underground as a treasure vault haha.

Has anyone successfully done this?  I've made a few desultory stabs at it but so far, no luck.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: December 03, 2013, 02:28:00 pm »

It's easy really, make a one tile stockpile and set it to only allow artifact quality items, of the type and material of what you want in it. Make sure other stockpiles for mundane versions of that item type have artifact quality disabled. And be sure to disable bins if you want to actually see the item. Add traps, drawbridges/floodgates as a vault door maybe some guards at the door... gotta find something to keep the fortress guard busy! Or some captured monsters... whatever, go nuts! It'll give your adventurers something to aim for.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: December 04, 2013, 09:33:47 am »

Urist McSleepy cancels sleep on stonefall trap: interrupted by falling stone
Urist McSleepy cancels sleep: dead.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: December 06, 2013, 07:46:31 pm »

I know this isn't exactly a DF moment, but it's related.  So, I've been fighting with figuring out how to properly 'highlight' a portion of the screen, darkening the rest, in movie maker.  Pick one, any one.  They all do it (basically) the same way but my brain just wouldn't connect the dots.

I've watched about 15 hours of tutorials and read another 150 pages of stuff while watching them off to the side until I hear some keywords I'm interested in.  Meanwhile I've been banging away at the different movie effects thinking "This CAN'T be a special feature in a download pack!" and been generally banging my head on the wall.

It's actually pretty simple and I'd used all the tools for it already, just not together.  After looking at a page for Adobe Movie Maker (whatever it's called) and reading through using titles and greenscreening with underlying opacity, my brain immediately went straight to *headdesk*.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: December 07, 2013, 01:06:47 am »

I spent hours, days, weeks, trying to iron out all the kinks in a minecart spiral to bring up magma (the cart was derailing and bouncing off a wall back onto the track.).  I finally fix it, and get a fair amount of lava up to my top level, but not quite enough to power my smelters.  On the eleventh or so trip, it gets stuck between two impulse ramps in the magma channel.

I now have to cut off the flow, cast the entire thing, re-mine, and re-carve just to get the cart out.  And figure out how to stop it from sticking, without derailing.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: December 07, 2013, 11:27:31 am »

I spent hours, days, weeks, trying to iron out all the kinks in a minecart spiral to bring up magma (the cart was derailing and bouncing off a wall back onto the track.).  I finally fix it, and get a fair amount of lava up to my top level, but not quite enough to power my smelters.  On the eleventh or so trip, it gets stuck between two impulse ramps in the magma channel.

I now have to cut off the flow, cast the entire thing, re-mine, and re-carve just to get the cart out.  And figure out how to stop it from sticking, without derailing.

I would have thought the proper thing to do to fill up a magma cart was to run it through a magma fall.  Now I am figuring out how to make a magmafall that doesn't overflow, can be shut off at need, and allows the cart to be manually pushed when off.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: December 07, 2013, 11:52:58 am »

Why don't you just use pumps?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: December 07, 2013, 01:59:12 pm »

For the spiral, may I recommend checking out the link in my sig about impulse elevators?

For the actual fill, I recommend a DWR and a short roller system.  I haven't found anything else that's consistent enough.  You need power at the fill point, just not for the rest of the run.

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: December 09, 2013, 02:51:38 am »

I got a nice facepalm moment yesterday. I've built a wall around my fortress entrance with a drawbridge, but I forgot to set it to raise, instead when a dwarf pulled the lever the bridge just retracted. I found this out when a goblin siege started, but I stayed calm, because I digged a two tile wide moat full of water around the wall, so I thought I was safe and went to check on my workshops. When I scrolled back to the wall area, the goblins were happily murdering my dwarves .. only then I noticed that they were riding cave crocodiles, which ferried them through the water.

Facepalm..
Reclaim..
Edit:
Note:
Change the water to MAGMA!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:57:24 am by Icecoon »
"This is a well crafted billon statue of Urist McChickenlover.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.
Urist McChickenlover is embracing the chicken."

Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>>

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »

I finally fix it, and get a fair amount of lava up to my top level, but not quite enough to power my smelters.
Maybe you can dig a slightly smaller reservoir and manually pump the magma you have into it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »

I am fooling around and get into water with a no swimming character. As they learn to swim, I decide to learn swim skill. Doing perfectly fine,  up and down the river, and they drown and die. My best character...
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: December 09, 2013, 08:49:49 pm »

I am fooling around and get into water with a no swimming character. As they learn to swim, I decide to learn swim skill. Doing perfectly fine,  up and down the river, and they drown and die. My best character...
you just forgot to train your breathing skill alongside it, it's a common mistake, especially for dwarves that fall in the water.

Nordanvind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:02 am »

I hurled giant boulders with my catapults against human invaders, only to see my dwarves hurriedly chase after the rocks to bring them back to the fortress.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: December 10, 2013, 03:06:07 pm »

No, I thing my main problem is the fact half the time my dwarves are fighting and fall into water. This makes me assume they know how to  swim.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 729