Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130049 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8100 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:07 am »

Urist McManlyChild has been content lately. Urist has lost a mother to tragedy recently. Urist has lost a father to tragedy recently. Urist enjoyed starting a fist fight recently (and breaking a grown dwarfs arm...). Urist was forced to endure the decay of a mother recently.

Urist McGrownDwarf has been miserable lately. He complained of the nasty water recently. He was dehydrated recently. He admired a fine chair recently. He lost a friend to tragedy recently. He was forced to endure the decay of a friend recently.

Urist McGrownDwarf cancels Eat: Went insane
Urist McGrownDwarf is running around babbling!

Yeah, so guess who is the better dwarf; AKA, guess who will be drowned and who's body will be entombed in the magma pipe when they die, which will be in the line of duty, btw.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: November 01, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »

So I embarked on a nearly treeless site, only enough cacti for 6 beds. To get more wood, I look for the first cavern level. Not only do I some how miss both the first and second levels, but when I came out in the third... Well...

*You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground.*
*Enter*
*You have discovered a mysterious structure deep underground.*

Three dead dwarfs later, the stairs to the third caverns are successfully floored over.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: November 02, 2013, 06:57:29 am »

Had a Forgotten Beast attacking my fort. Organic oversized flying Skunk with 3 eyes and poision. Send my Military after it.
In the end things went a little differently than actually planned.... those pets i tell ya...

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: November 02, 2013, 07:05:30 am »

I love how it says above 'The Age of Myth was a time when living gods and mighty beasts still held sway'. Maybe the Age of Myth was a time when peacocks ruled supreme?
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: November 02, 2013, 10:14:35 am »

I had about 30 cavies just stuck in a pasture and they ate the grass I need for my horses, imagine my surprise when slaughtering 20 cavies doesn't yield an ounce of meat, but 20 tiny skulls... the next traders to come by are going to be carrying some totems away, that's all I know... Also, I spent about a year game time getting tame gray langurs, but they're still weak compared to other animals. Langurs are still better than cavies, they don't eat all our grass and they still give meat... Any other common pets I should be slaughtering en masse?

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: November 02, 2013, 10:29:24 am »

I had about 30 cavies just stuck in a pasture and they ate the grass I need for my horses, imagine my surprise when slaughtering 20 cavies doesn't yield an ounce of meat, but 20 tiny skulls... the next traders to come by are going to be carrying some totems away, that's all I know... Also, I spent about a year game time getting tame gray langurs, but they're still weak compared to other animals. Langurs are still better than cavies, they don't eat all our grass and they still give meat... Any other common pets I should be slaughtering en masse?

Kittens.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:34 am »

Urist McManlyChild has been content lately. Urist has lost a mother to tragedy recently. Urist has lost a father to tragedy recently. Urist enjoyed starting a fist fight recently (and breaking a grown dwarfs arm...). Urist was forced to endure the decay of a mother recently.

Urist McGrownDwarf has been miserable lately. He complained of the nasty water recently. He was dehydrated recently. He admired a fine chair recently. He lost a friend to tragedy recently. He was forced to endure the decay of a friend recently.

Urist McGrownDwarf cancels Eat: Went insane
Urist McGrownDwarf is running around babbling!

Yeah, so guess who is the better dwarf; AKA, guess who will be drowned and who's body will be entombed in the magma pipe when they die, which will be in the line of duty, btw.
So you've got a whiny grown dwarf and child batdwarf... keep an eye on him, or those goblins could be getting a really tough commander...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: November 02, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »

So I embarked on a nearly treeless site, only enough cacti for 6 beds.
One bed for a dorm, five beds for military bedroom or for spare beds in the dorm.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:47 am »

So I embarked on a nearly treeless site, only enough cacti for 6 beds.
One bed for a dorm, five beds for military bedroom or for spare beds in the dorm.

Five beds should hold you out until the first caravan comes, which will bring a good deal of trees.

Cinnaboss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: November 03, 2013, 06:25:35 pm »

I had a Forgotten Beast enter from the first cavern layer, a highly threatening blob of salt.  He had climbed up from the bottle of a chasm and was walking along the edge of a cliff towards an open-air picnic area I had set up for the dwarves (a genius plan, I know).  My best swordsdwarf runs at the creature, gets spooked, and plummets to his death at the bottom of the chasm.  A dwarf civilian sitting at a picnic table hits the Forgotten Beast and it disintegrates after one swing.

(face-palm)
Run, Fisherdwarf!  Run from the Thrips Man!

poisoned_salami

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling RAWsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: November 04, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »

I am currently having the Great Reservoir Fiasco of 133.  :)
Firstly, being a noob, i ordered a pit to be channeled out, down near the hospital. (I was intending to make a well, so that wounded dwarves could drink non-stagnant water) This claimed the lives of 2 miners, and a baby. Later, i ordered a floodgate to be placed... It was. But, for some reason, it had trapped NO LESS THAN 20 DWARVES in the reservoir. (No clue why they were there)

On an unrelated note, I ordered the main gate/drawbridge to be raised. Unfortunately, a dwarf was attempting to cross it when this happened... he died on impact.
Current Fortress: Renownspear

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: November 04, 2013, 04:25:28 pm »

More of a funny facepalm than anything. I had taken my hammerdwarves off duty for a while so that they could get some good thoughts in (plus all were legendary) when they started getting the 'embarrassed to be naked' thought. I was confused until I took a closer look at inventory and I had apparently forgotten to put greaves into their uniform, oops!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: November 04, 2013, 04:34:26 pm »

More of a funny facepalm than anything. I had taken my hammerdwarves off duty for a while so that they could get some good thoughts in (plus all were legendary) when they started getting the 'embarrassed to be naked' thought. I was confused until I took a closer look at inventory and I had apparently forgotten to put greaves into their uniform, oops!
I believe greaves cover the lower leg, how about adding pants?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:32 pm »

But, for some reason, it had trapped NO LESS THAN 20 DWARVES in the reservoir. (No clue why they were there)
Maybe they were on break? (Do you use meeting zones? My dwarves used to wander to all sorts of places they shouldn't have been before I started using them.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: November 04, 2013, 04:49:33 pm »

I believe greaves cover the lower leg, how about adding pants?

I haven't had any problems with just greaves covering the legs when the armor is set to replace clothes.

I'm starting to have the same message for the civillian population and I've neglected the clothing industry.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 729