Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129976 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7935 on: August 28, 2013, 04:30:08 am »

tried to dig an open air cistern for rain water, which I planned on filling by deviating all the nearby 'pools' of water into it.
The Miner stupidly dug himself down 23 z-levels, climbed back up for the first tile he had forgotten, then plummeted to his death for 24 z-levels,

Note to self: Remember, dwarfs believe in Warner Bros Gravity. Gravity doesn't believe in dwarves.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: August 28, 2013, 12:12:30 pm »

Wy would you need a cistern 24 Z-levels deep?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: August 28, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »

Because you can?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: August 28, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »

I can't really argue with that.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: August 28, 2013, 04:54:30 pm »

Dwarf father to son: "Son, today, we're going to build a cistern for the fortress."
Son: "Alright dad, where do we start?"
Father: "Well, first, we check to make sure we've got good stone a good 25 stories deep."
Son: "25 stories dad!  Wow, that's a lot of water, why not just a level or two?"
Father: "Son, that's not a cistern.  That's a pond.  Elves bathe in those."
Son: "Oh, I see.  Well, what about 10 stories deep dad?  Sure that would be enough water  to keep the fortress safe for a long time?"
Father: "Son, a mere 10 stories is what we use for minor construction work with obsidian.  We wouldn't want our cistern to simply look like one of our obsidian coolers, would we?"
Son: "Well, if it was funct..."
Father: "WOULD WE?"
Son: (squeaky voice) "no..."
Father: "Good, so, now we go 25 stories down, and approximately 15 meters round...."

Passerby (to himself): "Oh gods, Urist is making another construction for the fortress.  I'd best warn the mayor."

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:40 pm »

I would note that a 1x1x24 cistern would be inherently more useful than even a 3x4x2 one... (amongst other things, you'd only have one tile exposed to evaporation at any given time)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:55 am »

by the time my 11x11x2 cistern (with 4 wells, though I could make more) gets anywhere near evaporation, My pump stack will fill it right back up. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I can't imagine a use for a 24 story water stack that would get me to switch.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:34 am »

shadenight123 specified the cistern was to be filled by rain capture, since the only tiles that convert rain to liquid water are the ones at the bottoms of the pools when you embark, his water supply is inherently very limited.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: August 29, 2013, 02:46:51 pm »

... and AFAIK water evaporates only if it is 1/7 deep, so at most the top level would evaporate.
But I like the reasoning - "elves bath in it", so very true and almost C|N>K (coffee piped through nose to keyboard).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: August 29, 2013, 06:56:01 pm »

In hotter climes, any water outside can evaporate. A bridge or roof will stop this, but also stop any water from being collected directly.

Water collection under these conditions will vary from normal with a dip in summer to a few dribbles only in winter.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »

In a desert though, all bets are off when counting on rain. Maybe you'll get seasonal rains, or maybe it'll only rain once every several years.

Anyways, had a semi-facepalm, not sure if you would call it a facepalm. Anyway, I had accidentially forbid and detasked an obsidian boulder that a mason mood was using after construction had started. I thought I had aborted the mood, but it came out with an iron door. Kind of makes sense since obsidian has a good deal of iron in it.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:33 pm »

I face palmed when I saw that Were animals can spread their disease, should have realized that.  It wasn't deadly, but it did kill my bookkeeper.  Also, when a group of migrants arrived in the one small spot where they would be trapped by a river, and by the time my dwarves got to them the migrants were throwing tantrums.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: August 29, 2013, 09:54:52 pm »

It wasn't deadly, but it did kill my bookkeeper.

Wait, what? If it kills, it's deadly, right?

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »

It wasn't deadly, but it did kill my bookkeeper.

Wait, what? If it kills, it's deadly, right?
Whoops, I meant it didn't cause my fortress to collapse.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: August 30, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »

I thought I had aborted the mood, but it came out with an iron door. Kind of makes sense since obsidian has a good deal of iron in it.
Iron is also the first item in the metals file, and the metals file is the first of the inorganic files.

I keep meaning to move some other metal to the first position in the file so I can see if that's why iron is chosen in the absence of the expected base material, but I keep forgetting. Forbidding the base material works for things other than metal -- I've had iron clothing. I've also had a mood stall and fail, but I'm not sure if that was caused by forbidding everything or forbidding bone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 729