Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137387 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7320 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:00 am »

Oh, I'll just leave the door holding back 10 floors of water unlocked, what's the worst that'll happen? It's not like they'll open the door to step around somebody walking the other direction, rght?

WRONG.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: January 09, 2013, 07:41:25 am »

Oh, I'll just leave the door holding back 10 floors of water unlocked, what's the worst that'll happen? It's not like they'll open the door to step around somebody walking the other direction, rght?

WRONG.

Always lock doors. Always.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

KaraMong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31:51 am »

I understood now why you shouldn't build a staircase that pass from your fort to the caverns below.
Flame breathing FBs like my booze stockpile, somehow. I didn't like the fireworks, tho.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: January 10, 2013, 06:01:49 am »

I just embarked and was inside a volcano on the SMR.

What?  Why is that possible?  I have no idea what would cause that.

It was over before I thought to take a screenshot.  My sincere apologies.

So it was like "what the heck?"  *unpause*  *your settlement has crumbled*  *facepalm*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:20 pm »

I was like digging calmly into magma drains trying to increase the size of my smelter complex, i totally forgot that I carefully carved the lower z-level to accomodate the magma drains...

and then i saw smoke. "What the fuck ?" It wasn't a cave-in, then some random Urist cancels movement due to dangerous terrain.

I go one z-level lower...

... and then I realized I flooded half of my bedroom complex with magma.  :P

Oh well, it was !!FUN!!. Hell, i'm still laughing about it now. Now just to save the previous fort save...

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: January 11, 2013, 05:12:34 am »

In one of my first fortresses I wondered how deep my dwarves could mine and I discovered.

The demons ascended, ripped and burned everything and everyone in an horrific slaughter. Everyone? No! The Expedition Leader was fishing heroically in a nearby pond!
Apparently he didn't hear the screams or smelled the smoke.

The demons got him when he took a booze  and entered the fortress to get some beer.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: January 11, 2013, 05:26:51 am »

So if you have and aboveground fort the demons won't reach you?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »

The Honey Badger has become enraged!
- a little later -
The Stray war Dog <Tame> has bled to death.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: January 12, 2013, 07:06:47 am »

Magma is FUN.

I just lost four legendary miners at the same time.

That sentence is still correct if you only take the first three words.

Many facepalms were had.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

I was playing Masterwork and i wanted to create some campfires. (Bonfires)
To prevent them burning my entire map, i builded some floors around them and i builded my fire.
A few minutes later i was getting tons of job cancellation.
i zoomed to the place and saw a MASSIVE fire.
I examined the fire and saw: Wooden floor

I builded the floors of wood.

*facepalm*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: January 13, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »

But constructions don't burn?

So, testing my own firearms in the Arena, and they work fine for larger creatures but apparently anything smaller than a dwarf gets sent flying and explodes on impact. I checked the raws, apparently I added an extra zero to the force. Whoops.

Testing out minecart shotgun designs, but accidentally set the hauler to get in the cart. Aimed at the chained troll.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:40 pm »

So, testing my own firearms in the Arena, and they work fine for larger creatures but apparently anything smaller than a dwarf gets sent flying and explodes on impact. I checked the raws, apparently I added an extra zero to the force. Whoops.
Care to share those original "send small critters flying" raws? I'd love to have a reference for the values capable of sending anything flying a good distance away at a reliably frequent rate.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: January 14, 2013, 01:50:49 am »

Code: [Select]
[SHOOT_FORCE:60000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:60000]
Something like that, don't remember if it's the fixed version or not. Probably keeping those values, though, worked as intended on anything larger than a cat.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Myshaak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:22 pm »

Yep, I finally had a real, real facepalm moment... Imagine this: Your dorfs are all of a suddent starting to starve, there is not enough plump helmets for beer, not even enough to eat raw... yet the fiels are full! What the little buggers do? They leave it to rot and straight to the refuse pile! WHY?!

Let me tell you why: do you know what a key combination of " o-f " does? Why is it even there?  :D

I must have pressed it by mistake, fort nearly starved out because of it. Fortunatelly, I have a strong dog and Giant Badger meatgrinding breeding program, but still... my plumps, my beautiful plumps!  ;)

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: January 15, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »

The fact that my dwarvens shit their pond-grabber leather pants every time they see this one skeletal raven. This thing is flimsier then a kitten and can be killed in one hit by anything, the problem is that it keeps raising from the dead about every two seconds. So I send one dwarf to kill it and he does. Only for it to raise the dead and scare the same exact dwarf into the fortress. I mean seriously, I heard jokes about dwarves being cowards before but this is something else.
Unf.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 729