Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129845 times)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7125 on: October 18, 2012, 06:25:01 am »

Once again I had an obsidian casting project with unforeseen consequinces. I tried to slowly fill a candy tube with obsidian but forgot that the clowns evaporate the water a bit too fast for it to work. Instead of a tube full of obsidian I ended up with a tube full of magma, clowns and steam. Atleast the darn thing found another place to make obsidian. Straight on the top of my floorgrate that sealed the tube. Naturally this led to both the magma and water flooding and I had build my floodgates too far away. It turned out that I had also forgotten to link one of my magma floodgates. Some leakake followed. Naturally the water also found another direction to go. Up. I had forgotten an old temporary passage above the water pipe. My candy is now 7 levels under water. ::)

I ended up with my candy mines being flooded by BOTH magma and water (and a few idiotic decisions later, infested by clowns.)
Edit: Did I mention that the part flooded with magma included barracks with my best soldiers? (wanted them close incase something went wrong)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:26:57 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:07 am »

it nearly happened to me... But just before doing it Idecided to rework it all to make a checkerboard instead...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: October 18, 2012, 07:11:04 am »

Once again I had an obsidian casting project with unforeseen consequinces. I tried to slowly fill a candy tube with obsidian but forgot that the clowns evaporate the water a bit too fast for it to work. Instead of a tube full of obsidian I ended up with a tube full of magma, clowns and steam. Atleast the darn thing found another place to make obsidian. Straight on the top of my floorgrate that sealed the tube. Naturally this led to both the magma and water flooding and I had build my floodgates too far away. It turned out that I had also forgotten to link one of my magma floodgates. Some leakake followed. Naturally the water also found another direction to go. Up. I had forgotten an old temporary passage above the water pipe. My candy is now 7 levels under water. ::)

I ended up with my candy mines being flooded by BOTH magma and water (and a few idiotic decisions later, infested by clowns.)
Edit: Did I mention that the part flooded with magma included barracks with my best soldiers? (wanted them close incase something went wrong)

I have avoided many flooding and other face palms with one of the easiest things to make en masse. Doors. I put them every where.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: October 18, 2012, 07:58:32 am »

I overflowed the intake pipe to my magma cistern network from the volcano and caused a terrible wildfire. Beds are now a privilege, not a right.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: October 18, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »

So my fortress is this big 250+ dwarf beast that I'm running purely through the manager screen now.
I have made some soap in the past, and wanted more for my expanded hospital.
These messages about "not enough lye" keep comming up, so of course I submit 100's of "render fat" jobs.
Well, my friend tells me today that lye actually comes from ash/trees....?

oops....

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29:29 am »

Did I mention that the part flooded with magma included barracks with my best soldiers? (wanted them close incase something went wrong)

Well, they WERE close when it went wrong, so thats a partial success...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »

Did I mention that the part flooded with magma included barracks with my best soldiers? (wanted them close incase something went wrong)

Well, they WERE close when it went wrong, so thats a partial success...

Lol, I don't think the soldiers thought so.

"Sir, how do we fight ****ing MAGMA?!?"
"Uh, get a bucket, and then we'll- AAAAAIEEEEEEEE! IT BURNS!"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pletter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: October 20, 2012, 05:49:13 am »

they grow up so fast!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: October 20, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »

Set up a Track to move the rock blocks up to the surface in order to speed up the building of the Tower of Blizzard (fort name: TowerBlizzard).
Built a starting stop with autodump. Built a second starting Stop next to it without autodump. Set the hauling route to start from the second Stop and to go over the first.
Removed the first after a whole year of pushing empty minecarts.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: October 21, 2012, 07:00:46 am »

...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: October 21, 2012, 11:32:11 pm »

This... ugh, just after I dug it out :'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemarchand%27s_box
That actually fits quite well with what my world is like (take a look at the topic linked by quote in my sig  ;), and by that I mean perhaps as a doorway to the normal world)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:36:01 pm by Snorunt30 »

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: October 23, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »

Well, to start, mine:
I have been building a out of the mountain wall to encircle the entrance and work for the outside needs of my dwarves. Ok, after I had built the entire wall, the second store floors, a barracks over the main gate, etc. I finally discover that, well, you can built constructions more than one tile at a time. Yes, after building a few hundred tiles with painstakingly micromanagement, I discover that I could have done that with a tenth of the work...

Well, mine I guess is that this is how I discover that you can build like this.  I've also been building tile by tile...

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: October 24, 2012, 01:46:46 am »

Well, to start, mine:
I have been building a out of the mountain wall to encircle the entrance and work for the outside needs of my dwarves. Ok, after I had built the entire wall, the second store floors, a barracks over the main gate, etc. I finally discover that, well, you can built constructions more than one tile at a time. Yes, after building a few hundred tiles with painstakingly micromanagement, I discover that I could have done that with a tenth of the work...

Well, mine I guess is that this is how I discover that you can build like this.  I've also been building tile by tile...

Don't abuse of it. Or at least wait to build the external walls of the tower after finishing the floor, otherwise UristMcIamacompletemoron would wall himself out of reach.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »

I just realized that you don't have to type "construct" or "make" in the job manager screen to find the proper job.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:57 pm »

You don't have to type whole words either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 729