Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129990 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7065 on: October 04, 2012, 04:50:34 pm »

I facepalmed when i lost something important to a story I'm writing. And now I know just how monsterous monsterous beetles are: Monsterous enough to decapitated an elephant. And there's still collosal beetles I'm hunting....

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:33 pm »

And now I know just how monsterous monsterous beetles are: Monsterous enough to decapitated an elephant. And there's still collosal beetles I'm hunting....

Don't giant insects have really short natural lifespans though? Although if they aren't that short then I suppose they'd make a good breed for war beasts. It's not like creatures would die of old age in fort mode anyway.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:01 pm »

Unless I'm reading the diagram wrong or missing something, you could channel out the up stairs on Z -1 (bringing the lowest "Light, Outside" tile to Z -2) and then replace them with walls. That would block off flyers and ranged attacks, since the wall would also form a floor on Z 0. Also, you could do all eight tiles around the central staircase, channeling and walling the corners before doing the same to the cardinal sides... assuming the surface threats are far enough away for that to be safe. But I'd imagine if the four are safe, the eight would be also.
That's a good idea, extending the lit area downwards and then sealing it with a wall. You could freely expand the farm area that way, as once a wall is placed onto the level below the surface the tile it's on acts like the original soil wall, providing support and protection.

It'd also allow you to roof the farm from below, which would be a more pressing concern on maps with evil weather or syndrome clouds combined with regular rain, the latter of which will leave your site carpeted with unpleasantness in short order*.

*I have a site like this, though I haven't gotten around to playing it. It's husk clouds, in a swamp.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: October 06, 2012, 03:51:14 pm »

I just LITERALLY facepalmed in real life after this one.

So i embarked without picks or battle axes and instead with some tetrahedrite, charcoal and an anvil, so i could simply produce my own.

Got my smelter + metalsmith going no problems.
Got 2 picks going and my miners went off to work, perfect!
But for some reason the axe wasn't being used by my woodcutter, i'd never been on a "good" biome so checked if that was a problem. It wasn't.
Made another axe, ran out of charcoal and still my woodcutter had no axe.
Completely bemused i take my metalsmith forge apart so i could see the axes... no axes?!
Check the stocks, i have 2 axes.

I then remembered that i also brought 2 military hammerdwarves, also without weapons. I was going to make them weapons also, and they stole my 2 axes i made, so my woodcutter was on his arse.

sigh. I was "this" close to abandoning.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: October 06, 2012, 05:00:15 pm »

When the most recent dwarven caravan entered my fort's trade plaza and unpacked, all my dwarves - every single one with a hauling labor enabled - dropped everything and stormed the trade depot, ransacking the horrifed caravaneers' stocks and carting off every strand of thread and bolt of cloth they owned. They charged out in a multicolored mass of greed, and flowed back towards the newly established office of the Dwarf Surgeon General.

I now have more fabric than I know what to do with, or wouldn't know, if any of it were left outside of the hospital for general consumption. It was the most impressive display of dwarven coordination I have ever seen.

...if only they could get themselves together enough to fight the goblins, this fort might have a shot.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: October 06, 2012, 06:21:48 pm »

I now have more fabric than I know what to do with, or wouldn't know, if any of it were left outside of the hospital for general consumption. It was the most impressive display of dwarven coordination I have ever seen.

...if only they could get themselves together enough to fight the goblins, this fort might have a shot.

Sigged.

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: October 06, 2012, 08:19:48 pm »

So for one game I decided to start something new. I set out for an icy area by a river. I would bring bunnies instead of my usual animals. They would breed...like rabbits, you could say. And I would get a huge supply of meat from that.

Well, bunnies don't give meat. And the river fucking froze. All of my dwarves died.

Another time I had to switch pastures since the grass was running out. I found a nice patch a distance away from the fort.

And left the animals alone to be slaughtered.

Yup.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: October 07, 2012, 01:32:41 am »

I would bring bunnies instead of my usual animals. They would breed...like rabbits, you could say.
Dogs breed like rabbits, and so do pigs (though they're a little expensive to bring). In fact, most things do, as they share the same reproductive defaults.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: October 07, 2012, 02:32:00 am »

I embarked on a frozen river in the middle of a mountain. Everyone drowned while barrels battered them to pieces.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: October 07, 2012, 02:52:08 am »

So for one game I decided to start something new. I set out for an icy area by a river. I would bring bunnies instead of my usual animals. They would breed...like rabbits, you could say. And I would get a huge supply of meat from that.

Well, bunnies don't give meat. And the river fucking froze. All of my dwarves died.

Another time I had to switch pastures since the grass was running out. I found a nice patch a distance away from the fort.

And left the animals alone to be slaughtered.

Yup.

I'll post the raws for my modded rabbits here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're trainable and technically have a steel coating so I think you might like them.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: October 07, 2012, 10:27:11 am »

But they're the same size and relative meat mass as normal rabbits, and therefore don't solve the original problem of zero edible butchery returns.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:00 am »

I just LITERALLY facepalmed in real life after this one.

So i embarked without picks or battle axes and instead with some tetrahedrite, charcoal and an anvil, so i could simply produce my own.

Got my smelter + metalsmith going no problems.
Got 2 picks going and my miners went off to work, perfect!
But for some reason the axe wasn't being used by my woodcutter, i'd never been on a "good" biome so checked if that was a problem. It wasn't.
Made another axe, ran out of charcoal and still my woodcutter had no axe.
Completely bemused i take my metalsmith forge apart so i could see the axes... no axes?!
Check the stocks, i have 2 axes.

I then remembered that i also brought 2 military hammerdwarves, also without weapons. I was going to make them weapons also, and they stole my 2 axes i made, so my woodcutter was on his arse.

sigh. I was "this" close to abandoning.
Deconstruct the wagon and use the wood from them to make training axes. They work just as fine for woodcutting.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: October 07, 2012, 11:28:50 am »

Modded jabberers and GCS to be common domestic animals available on embark, but with a pet value of 19999 to put them out of reach for the first couple of years (for my playstyle, anyway). Last migration wave, guess what pet the Dyer has? You're missing the point, Bomrek. Why couldn't you have been a metalworker instead? 35 immigrants, and the only metalworking skills are Novice Blacksmith and Adequate Armoursmith. But maybe it's not that bad. The armoursmith likes adamantine, the site has enough of it to redo any botch jobs, and DT considers her the fourth best dwarf for the job.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 07, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »

While trying to get a well for my fortress, I had to build a workaround for the pump by the river (which wasn't working correctly for some reason despite all efforts). While channeling a route for a new pump, I collapsed the one wall that I needed to stand. Any other wall I would have been fine. This is the beginning of spring. I have to wait until Winter, using a makeshift rig to pump excess water, to fix the wall and stop the flooding. My dwarves are ankle deep in water on their first floor.

Its a pain in the ass, but I will not give up on ringseized!
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 07, 2012, 04:54:06 pm »

I caught a necromancer and decided to use him to set up a training room. Dug out the room, dug out the pitting floor above it, made hatches, build fortifications, etc.

First mistake: pitted the necro too early, before I had hatches over the pits. Took me nearly a season to cancel and reassign the hatch jobs until my dwarves stopped cancelling due to line-of-sight into the necro's pit.

Second mistake: left LOS into my main courtyard. Dwarves would be running around, not even near the pit, and drop bins and stuff because the happened to glance down the ramp fifteen tiles away and see an enemy behind the fortifications. Took half a season to get barriers up to prevent that.

Third mistake: left general LOS into the fortifications. I was thinking, "I'll only ever have my military down here, no need for civilians, so it should be fine." Firstly, wasn't thinking about needing civvies to dump the bodies to prevent miasma. Secondly, every time a soldier decided they were going to drop some equipment in the pit and go get a new piece, a dozen civvies would run into the pit to stockpile the abandoned armor and then run away like pansies.

Fourth mistake: I didn't have any sure-fire way of getting rid of the necromancer when I decided that this had been a bad idea all along. I ended up killing him by pitting all of my large domestic animals in with him. A llama kicked his head in.

EDIT: Left the fort running while I went to do dishes. Came back in the middle of a tantrum spiral caused by troglodytes pouncing on haulers in the caverns. Various insanity took me from 60+ dwarves down to about 10, when a necro siege and two goblin ambushes showed up at the same time. The goblins that survived the zombies and my cage traps killed everyone but my most accomplished soldier, who was stranded in the lowest cavern with only one leg. He was starving, dehydrated, extremely tired and miserable, but still had the spunk to elect himself mayor and ban the export of rings. Shortly after this an anklosaurid FB showed up, ran to a spot three tiles from him, stood there for a day or so, then ran around the corner and killed him in one hit.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:54:16 pm by Drazinononda »
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 729