Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129913 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7050 on: October 02, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »

An alternative that seems to work fine is channeling an area then flooring over it. The underground part will be marked Above Ground Inside Light.
You have to go outside to do that. This lets you make above-ground farms without ever creating a walkable path from the surface.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »

An alternative that seems to work fine is channeling an area then flooring over it. The underground part will be marked Above Ground Inside Light.
You have to go outside to do that. This lets you make above-ground farms without ever creating a walkable path from the surface.

I can see your point but I have to argue that my way is easier.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:07 pm »

Make sure your hammerdwarf that is currently in combat isn't wearing bismuth bronze leggings when you designate all bismuth bronze leggings to be melted from the stock screen...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:11 pm »

What happened to the bismuth bronze legging wearing dwarf?

Also, I forgot to bring booze for this embark.... but we have a volcano!!! Damn no booze = civil war.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:47 am »

No, wait, actually a mutant fae-dog set fire on my wagon and the blackcurrant wine I embarked with was set on fire catching the horse pulling the wagon in a burst of boiling blackcurrant wine. Nooooooooo, why, whyyyyyyyyyyy! Damn horse, it's his fault. No wait, it's the elves fault. Ya definitely an elf sent that fae-dog since elves like faes and other stuffs. I pity the elves who comes here.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: October 03, 2012, 12:05:29 am »

What happened to the bismuth bronze legging wearing dwarf?

He took them off and lost a leg. At least that's what I think happened...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: October 03, 2012, 12:43:07 am »

What I thought is that he went back to his room trying to figure out how to get that armok damned legging off his legs, then out of desperate frustration, he tore his leg off and threw it at his room neigbor embedding the leg(with the legging still on) in his skull shattering the brain and felt better for that. The leg was stiched back together with adamantine strands altough I doubt thats what actually happened.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: October 03, 2012, 04:01:32 pm »

Oh, absolutely. This is what you'd do when you really can't afford to have dwarves above ground for any time at all and you're out of other plant-creating options.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: October 03, 2012, 04:05:54 pm »

Oh, absolutely. This is what you'd do when you really can't afford to have dwarves above ground for any time at all and you're out of other plant-creating options.

Ohhh I get it now.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: October 03, 2012, 05:59:01 pm »

As is every other underground crop bar pig tails. Sure, plump helmets are the only brewable crop you can grow in winter, but above-ground crops are all growable all year round.

Getting a greenhouse going even on a supportive biome might be tricky if anybody going outside is likely to be attacked. You can dig a moat upwards with two steps. First you dig an up stair, then channel out the tile above it. The floor tile on the surface is channelled as normal, but can't form a ramp because the stair tile won't support it. From there you can turn the area inside the moat into a greenhouse, although you can't do this with enemies in seeing distance. A temporary measure might be to create something like this:

Code: [Select]
level 0

level -1
#####
#<#<#
##>##
#<#<#
#####

level -2
#####
#####
##X## <--fort access
#####
#####
And then remove those up stairs. You get four tiles that are open to the air but with limited visibility, and while ranged attackers can shoot in (based on arena testing) and fliers can either wander in or use it as a shortcut should they get a ground path it's less risky than trying to set up a walled area on the surface itself. Placing it in the middle of the map will make wandering squads less likely to stumble upon it, and placing the open-air tiles so that they're surrounded by trees will cut visibility further. Something's going to find it eventually though, so get the channels covered as soon as it's feasable.

As with mood items, this is one of the things best set up in the first couple of peaceful years.

Unless I'm reading the diagram wrong or missing something, you could channel out the up stairs on Z -1 (bringing the lowest "Light, Outside" tile to Z -2) and then replace them with walls. That would block off flyers and ranged attacks, since the wall would also form a floor on Z 0. Also, you could do all eight tiles around the central staircase, channeling and walling the corners before doing the same to the cardinal sides... assuming the surface threats are far enough away for that to be safe. But I'd imagine if the four are safe, the eight would be also.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:08 pm »

I have a well that gets fed from a river. Open a floodgate and, 'bam', more water. I was letting my little reservoir fill and went to take care of setting up trades with the elves pansies and forgot to keep an eye on it. I flooded half my underground farm before I managed to block off the hallways leading to the now destroyed well.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:59 pm »

I have a well that gets fed from a river. Open a floodgate and, 'bam', more water. I was letting my little reservoir fill and went to take care of setting up trades with the elves pansies and forgot to keep an eye on it. I flooded half my underground farm before I managed to block off the hallways leading to the now destroyed well.

I assume you had a manual toggle(lever) to turn flow on and off.  Link it to a pressure plate at the full line of your reservoir and it will automatically shut off before FUN.

-----------------------------------------

Had a great Spring start on a new embark.  A preliminary wall had been built along with a closing bridge/gate and a set of cage traps past that.  First migration wave has a decent farmer, soldier, and a Carp God cult leader**.  My plan was to have him set up an Altar of Armok and then keep on trying to offer his life.  This means some slade warhammers and hopefully his death.  Instead he converts three of the five migrants into Cult of the Carp God Acolytes as soon as they enter the map.  Two were family members, which of course makes him very depressed.  The child precedes to bite off and the head of my only soldier.  I then realize they are not trap avoid and could have simply sent everyone into an internal burrow to let them get caged.  *facepalm*

**DT told me this.  However looking at his history made it plain.  He was 15 years old yet had been part of four different forts.

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: October 03, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »

Face palm moments?  Just lost another fort to a goblin on a wall.  There he sits, wounded, near death.  Every dwarf in the fort came up to look at him, and ran away into a corner.  They all are running in circles, slowly starving to death as they are too scared to go back into the fort (the stairs are too close the goblin).  My archers are refuse to get any bolts.  I've added two dozen archers to the military, but they refuse to get any bolts either.  It appears reloading is a civilian act, and as a civilian they can't approach the stairs.   Bah

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:48 pm »

I assume you had a manual toggle(lever) to turn flow on and off.  Link it to a pressure plate at the full line of your reservoir and it will automatically shut off before FUN.

Wow... that bums me out...
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: October 04, 2012, 04:48:17 pm »

Face palm moments?  Just lost another fort to a goblin on a wall.  There he sits, wounded, near death.  Every dwarf in the fort came up to look at him, and ran away into a corner.  They all are running in circles, slowly starving to death as they are too scared to go back into the fort (the stairs are too close the goblin).  My archers are refuse to get any bolts.  I've added two dozen archers to the military, but they refuse to get any bolts either.  It appears reloading is a civilian act, and as a civilian they can't approach the stairs.   Bah
Maybe turn all your archers into wrestlers?
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 729