Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130064 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7020 on: September 17, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »

Whoa, when did they reopen this? And when did this topic become something else than a endless series of puns?

Edit: Sorry I just read the first post and realized that this was started with something else in mind and maybe a tribute to the original Face Palm thread (sorry I don't have a link anymore to that epic thread).

i like how this is also a facepalm moment.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #7021 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:44 am »

I was constructing an above-ground hall on top of my fort when, due to a bit of careless deconstruction, I caused a cave in that pierced two z-levels to hit the bed of one of my dorfs, who was apparently sleeping in it at the time. He got smashed under three granite boulders and his bed was destroyed. He survived, but he lost his ability to stand and can't really grasp things any more.

The thing is, I didn't actually notice this until quite a bit later when I was preparing to pave the hall's floor and noticed an open space in the ground and followed it down to the dorf's 1x1 bedroom, which was splattered with his blood.

I am not good at micromanaging.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: September 21, 2012, 02:19:57 am »

Brand new fort in its second year that just hit the third cavern layer...

Raw spoilerite!  Praise the miners!

"Oooh, lets dig some, it won't have its stick so close to the top, right?"

*begins to mine Spoilerite.*

An elven caravan from SomethingICannotPronounce has arrived.

Queue Uninvited Guest one.  Right on top of a miner who decided to take the long way around the cavern pool.  Facepalm 1.

About a minute later.

Uninvited Guest two, uncovered by the same dwarf who is now running in fear in some random direction as poison melts his skin off.

One more minute.  At this point, I'm not being careful with the spoilerite and just trying to get what is exposed in the cavern out of the grou--

*Horrifying screams come from the darkness below.* Facepalm 2.

Insert Uninvited Guest three, less than ten seconds after that.  Facepalm 3

Oh s***

Much scrambling and flailing was had to try to put a floor over the shaft, with no luck.  The ten military dwarves didn't stand a chance.  Uninvited guests and guests from below come pouring out of the shaft, and much carnage is had.  The previously bland shale walls are now a beautiful red.   Facepalm 4 & 5.

And then there is one last dwarf left alive, with guests from below closing from every direction...

*some migrants have arrived.*

*facepalm 6*

Death count:

Dwarves: 95
Uninvited guests: 1
Guests from Below: 6
Cats: 16
War dogs: 8
Kittens: 5
Sheep: 7
Elves: 3
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:22:02 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: September 21, 2012, 05:01:24 am »

Latest facepalm I forgot that war rabbits are still grazers. I positioned them all over my CDL* and they prompltly starved to death.

*Cavern Defense Level.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:06 pm »

I managed to break my DAS while S'ing the A's of D's.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:40 pm »

Trolls can wreck the locked hatch covers that keep forgotten beasts off the surface.

Whoops

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: September 25, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »

A giant cave spider attacked and sprayed webs all over the place. He spent the whole time trying to chomp a dwarf wearing an iron helmet. I lol'd. Five dwarves got trapped in cages though due to the webs. I constructed the cages and linked them all to a lever, and then went to sleep.

A few days later I have forgotten ALL about the giant cave spider incident. I don't realize what's happened until I get the third or fourth dwarf that's been missing for a week.

*Face Palm* You win this time, giant cave spider. 5 casualties that you'll never get credit for.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: September 26, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »

Realizing that my expedition leader was bitten by a Werechameleon... first he killed his wife... then his child (it was a baby)... then he bit two others and I just thought, what should I do now?
Well, I hit my head against the keyboard...
And managed to designate my emergency cave in... the last tile that held the ceiling in place, in the end only the leader was left, not even the dogs survived.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: September 26, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »

>Legendary soldier gets hurt, but can walk to hospital and proceeds to do so.
>>Legendary soldier dies not waiting for rescue, but because hatch was accidently relocked.
>>>Assume he was abducted by something in the hospital.
>>>>Notice miasma near where said soldier was injured. Find him dead on the stairs up.
>>>>>*Facepalm*

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »

I was wondering why there was always some vomit on the food stockpiles by the kitchen in AnnualHate.  I realized while watching the cook grind meat to make sausage (masterwork mod) that dwarves who were nearby got nauseous from the spectacle...even the cook, who seemed to be vomiting into the food while he worked...I decided to put a door between the kitchen and the food storage.

/facepalm. Who could watch a cook grind goblin guts into sausage for 3 days straight and not get nauseous?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: September 28, 2012, 02:06:46 am »

Flying Kea men were stealing my doctor's masterwork rock toys, which eventually drove him to tantrum.  He killed the fortress leader and smashed the trade depot, threw some stuff around, and seemed to calm down.  Then I accidently dropped some dwarfs down some flights of stairs due to deconstruction.  Cue tantrum spiral, wiping out the rest of my fortress.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: September 28, 2012, 02:49:20 am »

Flying Kea men were stealing my doctor's masterwork rock toys, which eventually drove him to tantrum.  He killed the fortress leader and smashed the trade depot, threw some stuff around, and seemed to calm down.  Then I accidently dropped some dwarfs down some flights of stairs due to deconstruction.  Cue tantrum spiral, wiping out the rest of my fortress.
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: September 28, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »

I'm still really new to the game, which was apparent when I dug into a cavern. I set up a defensive line in the tunnel leading to the cavern, figuring I could seal it off if I ran into trouble. I was mining out some gems when I got attacked by a blind cave ogre and it's buddy. The ogre killed a fisherdwarf, so I figured 'an eye for an eye'. these two ogres proceeded to beat my military to death. I try calling them back, but they keep getting interrupted by the ogres, so I go to seal the entrance to the cave and cut my losses.

The problem is, I was so busy micromanaging the miner and fisherdwarves (and my mechanic who kept hauling when I turned it off) in the cave that I forgot to check up on the constructions, which were never built. I forgot to designate a new mechanic after my other one got trapped in the cavern. The ogre's proceed to wander into my bedroom area and kill every dwarf within sight (one of whom ended up with a full title to her name). The last Dwarf standing is my manager. The titled Ogre chases him down into the cavern, beats him into submission and walks away, leaving my noble for dead. He lays there, comatose for a full winter and half of spring, until a migrant wave arrives.

The migrant wave has some fairly skilled combat dwarves (primarily 2 marksdwarves and an axedwarf). They are immediately drafted to wipe out the two ogres, who seem to have moved into my fortress. They charge against the titled ogre, who puts up strong opposition at first. Finally a good shot lodges into her heart and the battle turns, eventually felling the bitch. The other ogre turns out to be a challenge for the military, but they're holding an even battle and the ogre is still fairly tired from his last rampage. Suddenly a flock of Elk Birds arrives from the caverns, flanking my military and saving the ogre (I did nothing to antagonize these birds). My military falls before I have a chance to send in backup.

I rage, and seal the bedroom floor, circumventing the bedrooms and abandoning the area and items there rather than lose more dwarves. Life continues on, with some very miserable dwarves. Cue tantrum spiral. The migrant wave gave me 24 new dwarves, and the battle killed 4, leaving me with 20 working dwarves and one ex-manager who somehow wouldn't die. Tantrum spiral kills all but 8 dwarves, leaving me to reassign jobs so the Fortress can sustain itself until the next migrant wave. Just when I think I'm ok, I accidentally break ground into a new cavern, pissing off a cave spider who decides these dwarves must be sacrificed. It webs every dwarf I have left, bringing life to a standstill. It then systematically tears apart each dwarf piece by piece until there is nothing but partial corpses, body parts, and enough dwarven blood to sate Armok for the day. All because I forgot to assign a new mechanic.  :'(
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: September 28, 2012, 02:18:33 pm »

Actually, it was unplayable because max embark size is goddamn crazy. Nothing short of a computer handbuilt out of the most utterly perfect components developed in a hundred years time will run a 16x16 DF embark at a speed approaching something pleasant to start on.

3 years ago when I bought this comp I was able to play that size. It was ~34_08 that that changed to 10 by 10. Now days I'm limited to 8 by 8. I still have no lag except on season change. My comp is a then cheap ~655$ Asus 4 gig single core with a cheap ~50 dollar graphics card built in. I guess hardware could make a big difference. Most comps are Multi-core. Muti-core comps divide their power between their cores. This game is single threaded so only one of your comps cores can do anything with this game at a time.

Now to make you hate me.

As I type this post I've realized I have 18 tabs open between 3 window. 5 are open on Youtube vids with 2 others open to podcast sites, 2 are open on facebook games, & the rest are in this window, Forums/art sites/everything else. I love this comp & love having no lag with all that going on. & I play DF with all that going on. Normally it's only 12 tabs open.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »

... 2 are open on facebook games...

Heretic! The Facebook games are nothing but little copies of the mighty Toad's work! Down with the browser games!
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 729