Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130049 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6480 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:05 pm »

I got 32 migrants in a wave about 2 years in.  Of these , 14 were peasants, the rest fisherdwarves and tanners, and one High Master Weaponsmith.  En route to my fort, they are accosted by a undead giant eagle, who proceeds to kill one, and only one dwarf before fleeing. 

-.-

Poor Peasant #11 :(

:P

This is Dwarf Fortress. It was the High Master Weaponsmith. The good news is he is easily replaced from the faceless masses your swarm Fortress just absorbed welcomed with open arms. Make copper weapons ALL day with the little bastard. Or silver, I don't judge.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:25 pm »

Them silver beatin' sticks are quite handy in skilled hands actually. and even the cheap ones fetch a good price on open market...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: June 19, 2012, 10:27:11 pm »

Not to mention... Experience for your peasant HIGH MASTER WEAPONSMITH!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:32 am »

The time my dwarven caravan, dwarves and domestic pack decided to go jump off the waterfall. I spent a long time trying to stop that from happening after I save scummed by digging a bridge/floor tiles underneath/grates........ but it just didn't work.

And the site was beautiful. A long waterfall with carp,camels, sedimentary stone and stuff.

Neekerbreeker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: June 20, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »

My latest artifact:

Kezkig Amem -- The Connection of Curls, a dog-leather face veil

This is a dog leather face veil.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is decorated with jabberer bone and encircled with bands of birch and oval galena cabochons.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of  tunnel tube and menaces with spikes of dog leather and nickel silver.  On the item is an image of two muck roots in galena.  On the item is an image of waves in rope reed fiber. 

Dog leather?  Jabberer bone?  Muck roots?  What fine dwarven lass wouldn't want to wear that for her wedding?

At least it had some silver on it. 

On the plus side, I now have two . . . legendary . . . tanners.   Gad, I can't take it.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: June 20, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »

So, I drafted some new militia to replace the dorfs who died at the hands of the 2 vampires I had in my fort. I tell them to get equipped, so they do. Just one problem: they refuse to drop the extra clothing they're wearing, so I end up just hoping for the best and sending them into the danger room. I set the lever to repeat. Just one problem: the lever for my front door and the lever for my danger room are right next to each other.

I think you can see where this is going.

I end up with 2 people getting drawbridges dropped on their heads, and a legendary engraver gets a broken leg and I have to set up a hospital.

*Facepalm*
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: June 20, 2012, 04:07:19 pm »

Trolls. I hate trolls. I wish I had aerial creature-mounted dwarves with crossbows in each hand JUST FOR TROLLS.

They broke my trap hatch before my little dorfies could pull the 'DIE TROLLS DIE' lever. Now I have to kill them the old fashioned way.  >:( Hanslanda is not amused.
He's fucking with us.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: June 21, 2012, 02:47:27 am »

Did open up one of the caverns in the first half year by accident (sometimes, it's not deep down ... geez) and immediately started to wall it off as good as possible. Suddenly a cave troll is inside my fortress, running up all the way to the surface, hunting down one cat, killing it and moving off the map. No real harm done. And I was already like: damn.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Unknown-Figure1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:27 am »

Web attacks are unbalanced. :/ I keep using the CTRL-ALT-DELETE sequence every time a black fiend webs me in what has to be the cheapest attack ever: Unwebbed, I can hit him on an equal basis. Within a web, however, I always miss him even with a Legendary weapon skill level. >.>

Spooky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: June 21, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »

I embarked in a nice little hilly area, with a good amount of trees and fruits to support my fort.

Things were going swimmingly for the first few migrant waves, when suddenly I notice 'Urist McMason has been interrupted by Giant Gray Langur'

Confused, and not knowing what a Langur was at the time (http://www.discoverlife.org/IM/I_TS/0004/320/Trachypithecus_geei,_golden_langur,I_TS478.jpg), I looked over at what was now the deceased corpse of my mason, laying on top of the body of an already slaughtered child of mine. I drafted my woodcutter and my hunter who begin to beat them back, but in the chaos a Langur ripped the arms off of the other dwarven child in the fort then tackled him to death. My expedition commander dealt with that one to a pickaxe to the face, but received a crippled leg in the process. My hunter drove most of the rest off, after pumping 30-ish crossbow bolts into a now named Giant Langur, who ended up falling in and out of consciousness outside my fort for a few months before someone dispatched it.

This, and rampant kobold thievery made me realize that I needed weapons and armor, and fast. My current fighters were all armed with copper daggers taken from dead kobolds (FUN FACT: all the kobolds died via their skulls being punched through by my militia commander), so I set to attempting to make charcoal, not having found any coal yet. I stacked up a queue of charcoal, and set myself to other matters.

A dwarf month or so later, I come back to add more to the queue, which somehow was still full. Puzzled, I changed several labor jobs to include furnace operating, thinking that was the problem.

Apparently not, as it was still not being worked. I built another one, making sure there was nothing blocking it and I had a full wood stockpile. 3 dwarf months later, neither furnace has been touched since they were built. So yeah, bit of a frustration facepalm on my part.
Now, our defense system is good, but i think it needs more bears covered in lava.

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:20 pm »

How long did it take to figure out you need Wood Burning to make charcoal?

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »

One of my first face-palm moments was when I finally figured out that to survive I should build a wall! So I did, a diagonal one. Then facepalmed when invaders simply walked "through" the wall diagonally...
Feeling down? Click Here!

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »

One of my first face-palm moments was when I finally figured out that to survive I should build a wall! So I did, a diagonal one. Then facepalmed when invaders simply walked "through" the wall diagonally...

LAWL!!!  Not to laugh at your misfortune...more to recall my own facepalm the first time that happened to me! :-\

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: June 21, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »

I closed my main gate/bridge while some dorfs where standing on it, so they got flipped off and injured, in my rush to have them carried to safety I opened the gate immediately so my CMD could get to them. She was standing under the bridge when I opened it and got Atom smashed.
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: June 21, 2012, 04:11:06 pm »

The first wall I built was of fortifications.  My dwarves died like fish in a barrel.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 729