Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129926 times)

rangerplus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6390 on: June 02, 2012, 10:18:28 am »

The first time I say this purple stuff all around my fort and getting a tantrum spiral without knowing about happiness or moods

The first time I learnt about the "missing status"; I found 6 masons dead in a wall :(

The first ambush; I thought they were traders, brought out my broker (my do it all noble) and had everyone haul. (They were massacred)

The first time I learnt about digging... on my first 2 forts, I chopped down trees and built log forts. :( Then I found the wiki

When I started playing, I found the game not from this website, but on the AppStore, which had a extremely out dated game. I played with it for 5 forts or so, then started playing adventure. I read the adventure guide which said, "the sun on the top of the screen tells you the time" I looked at the top of the screen and there was no sun. I finished 2 adventures before realizing.

Building an elaborate sequence of levers, bridges and traps to destroy any siege. When it finally came I thought, "Those goblins don't know whats going to hit them. I got a dwarf to pull the lever. Nothing happened. I had forgotten to link everything up!!! :)

I could go on forever, thinking a giant eagle was my elf ally in adventure...you can guess what happened. Dwarf Fortress is amazing.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »

*Migrants have arrived*

NOTHING BUT LEGENDARY POTASH MAKERS! ALL 10 OF THEM!!

GGRRRAAAHHH
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: June 02, 2012, 06:47:06 pm »

*Migrants have arrived*

GGRRRAAAHHH

This is what allows some people to get 10 high level smiths in a single wave.  I think due to town specialization and migrants often being related you are much more likely to get lots of people with the same skills in a wave.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

psikez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: June 02, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

I recently came back from a long hiatus, many things seem different so I choose an easy flat serene map with a volcano. I get the fortress up and running nicely. Nice engraved dining room, full on farming of above and underground crops. An underground pasteur started. I dig out my 2x40 channel for magma forges and smelters. One of my miners dies breaching the volcano side. Oh well I think, at least I got my magma forges started. I build a slab and dedicate it to my poor melted miner. Then it happens. The miners mostly melted skeleton crawls out of the magma. As far as I could tell from the number of missing parts it was really nothing more than a rib cage. It proceeds to slaughter my yak. Then a dwarf is dead. I have no idea whats going on. Then I see on the unit list there is a NECROMANCER on my map. The dead yak rises. I set all my dwarves (around 30) to recruit wrestlers and send them in. They are slaughtered quickly and raised as more and more undead until all thats left is one child running around dodging a horde of zombies and skeletons. And then it was all over. Welcome back to Dwarf Fortress I thought

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: June 02, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »

Sicked my premier halberdiers on a plains titan, only for it to have it's head bitten in bya  dog with a broken leg.

-Facepalm- I WAS GONNA MAKE THE KILLER CHAMPION YOU BASTARD DOG!!!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: June 02, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »

I recently came back from a long hiatus, many things seem different so I choose an easy flat serene map with a volcano. I get the fortress up and running nicely. Nice engraved dining room, full on farming of above and underground crops. An underground pasteur started. I dig out my 2x40 channel for magma forges and smelters. One of my miners dies breaching the volcano side. Oh well I think, at least I got my magma forges started. I build a slab and dedicate it to my poor melted miner. Then it happens. The miners mostly melted skeleton crawls out of the magma. As far as I could tell from the number of missing parts it was really nothing more than a rib cage. It proceeds to slaughter my yak. Then a dwarf is dead. I have no idea whats going on. Then I see on the unit list there is a NECROMANCER on my map. The dead yak rises. I set all my dwarves (around 30) to recruit wrestlers and send them in. They are slaughtered quickly and raised as more and more undead until all thats left is one child running around dodging a horde of zombies and skeletons. And then it was all over. Welcome back to Dwarf Fortress I thought
Good introduction to necromancers I guess?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: June 02, 2012, 07:38:15 pm »

More like a good introduction to the dangers of zombie yaks.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: June 02, 2012, 08:57:10 pm »

More like a good introduction to the dangers of zombie yaks.
Yeah, yaks will mess you up, especially if angry. I once sent my military out to go chase a yak herd, one of them turned round and decided to gore 5 dwarves. I was just a begginer at the time, so I decided that he was a super yak and left him the hell alone.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:14:47 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »

*Migrants have arrived*

GGRRRAAAHHH

This is what allows some people to get 10 high level smiths in a single wave.  I think due to town specialization and migrants often being related you are much more likely to get lots of people with the same skills in a wave.

BUT STILL

WHO THE FUCK NEEDS 10 LEGENDARY POTASH MAKERS?
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: June 02, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »

Someone who fertilizes their super-fields. But... I've never even thought about fertilizing, fields produce WAY more food than I could ever need just base. Maybe you could make a Potash tower. We've already got soap towers and such.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »

i finish my ultamate construction i was about to save but then i pressed the disk eject button and theen my laptop crashed... it did not save it..... facepalm always look at what your pressing in df

Disk eject button?

DF on CD? :O

probably more like abandon fortress.... ive done it a few times and it sucks
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: June 03, 2012, 11:12:22 am »

BUT STILL

WHO THE FUCK NEEDS 10 LEGENDARY POTASH MAKERS?

Someone that's making a LOT of clear glass items?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: June 03, 2012, 05:32:13 pm »

Someone who fertilizes their super-fields. But... I've never even thought about fertilizing, fields produce WAY more food than I could ever need just base. Maybe you could make a Potash tower. We've already got soap towers and such.
Potash doesn't exactly scream dwarfy, which soap does. A lot.
"We don't need to clean ourselves, so we made soap into a tower."
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: June 03, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »

It's like a GIANT airfreshener.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: June 04, 2012, 12:10:39 am »

It's like a GIANT airfreshener.
As in, wandering giants come in and wipe their armpits on it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 729