Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136735 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5970 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:38 am »

You may have a world with no caverns, hence no underground plants.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: March 14, 2012, 11:55:41 am »

*ignorant* I've seen the caverns and there's wood down there, but no plants. What does cavern plants have to do with getting seeds? Does this mean I won't even be able to trade for those precious plants? :(

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: March 14, 2012, 12:34:18 pm »

*ignorant* I've seen the caverns and there's wood down there, but no plants. What does cavern plants have to do with getting seeds? Does this mean I won't even be able to trade for those precious plants? :(
If your world doesn't have caverns with plants, then those plants have nowhere to grow and become extinct/never exist in the first place.

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: March 14, 2012, 12:37:22 pm »

If your world doesn't have caverns with plants, then those plants have nowhere to grow and become extinct/never exist in the first place.

Then I believe this also qualifies as a facepalm moment. Found the perfect spot with all the right minerals and now... nothing exists to make booze out of.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: March 14, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »

Then I believe this also qualifies as a facepalm moment. Found the perfect spot with all the right minerals and now... nothing exists to make booze out of.
You can try farming aboveground plants.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: March 14, 2012, 04:00:32 pm »

Is there water in the caverns? AFAIK, a dry caverns will grow trees but no plants.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »

Noticed my hospital wells were filled with stagnant water. I figured I'd flush it through, get some new water in.

Hah, no. Trees sprouted up.

Cue making a bypass, draining the clogged bit, smoothing, tiling, draining the second clogged bit, another tree sprouts, cut it down, drain further, etc. To make a long story short a one-tile wide pipe is now three wide with a a one-wide bypass starting around halfway.

Fill it back up, water is still stagnant. Fresh from the river, but the river is stagnant.   

All that for nothing.
Oh man, I remember the first time that happened to me in a huge system of  one tile wide sewers it took me forever to clean up again.  I had smoothed all the floors thinking that would prevent growth.  It doesn't.

So after I finally cut down all the offending trees and built floors in I seal it all up again, only to discover that trees will still gro over pressure plates and floodgates if there isn't a floor there first.  Meaning I had to empty the whole damn thing again, deconstruct my plates and floodgates, build more floors, put the flood gates and plates back in and re-link everything back together while making sure my dwarves could still get out safely.

The only solution I've found for this is to dig a hallway next to where you want the water to flow, and carve fortifications on the wall where the pipe would normally be. Water passes through the fortifications, and trees will never sprout there. I've never had a tree grow where I've placed a floodgate or pressure plate, but the hallway is easily cleared and allows maintenance access. (Provided you have a way to drain it)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: March 14, 2012, 07:14:28 pm »

What? Why don't my dwarves have weapons???

... exact matches...

/facepalm
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:52 am »

what does the 'exact matches' option do?

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:24 am »

OK, let's release this Kobloid Theif with no equipment in my barracks of 5 guys for some training!

Que one of my recruits dying. To an unarmed/armored Kobloid. In a 5 on 1.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: March 15, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »

what does the 'exact matches' option do?

They have to pick up exactly the equipment you specify.  So if you say "iron breastplate", "iron high boot", "iron helm", "steel greaves" but you only have the iron helm and some bis.bronze armor pieces ... then the only armor they're wearing will be the iron helm (and even that is a maybe...they might "give up" when they hit a piece of armor they can't equip).

When you get a more advanced military with lots of available soldiers and a metal industry, you can literally assign each dwarf a specific piece of armor for each slot on their list and they will go get it and keep it in their inventory or in the armor racks/bins for their barracks.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:34 pm »

"how did puny goblins fell a mighty Dwarf Fortress!?"

"forgot to lock the door....."

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: March 16, 2012, 01:21:25 pm »

OK, i was building a tower when i ran out of bricks, so my roof was a bunch of random colors, later i made this massive mine and then i had way to much rocks, and useless stuff, so i decided since the roof looked ugly, i decided to get rid of it, i marked the entire roof for deconstruction, and then went to the Jon, (bathroom) when i cam back, i found i found around 6 dwarf dead, and the rest wounded, and because my Hospital was ill prepared (did not have enough beds) we moved everyone we could to the hospital, and left the rest at the barrek (cause it was the closes bed available). well everyone at the hospital died of infection, and dehydration cause it was winter and i still have yet to master the "well" and i only had 3 soap, but no body was using it..., mean while while everyone was dyeing cause 2/3 of my doctors was injured/(to be dead) back at the barrack, my injured Hunter (who is legendary marksmen, ambushes, and hunter) died of no food... and he wasn't even infected. so in the end with the account of all this death and tantrums (that continue after a lot of other people died) around 15 out of 50 of my pop died, and i was saved from the tantrum spiral by locking everyone in there own rooms, with lots of pretty statue... some of which died of dehydration cause i forgot about them.

it took me around another 2 years to finish replacing the roof and because my 2 hunters died in the... accident... i made random people hunt (even though i didn't really need but the wildlife was annoying) and a few of them were mauled by a grasshopper man.

so with my Cemetery full, and my population finally under control with only 1 or 2 people felling sad in and out, i did a face palm at the end of it.
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: March 16, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

The new "rivers have edges" thing has a downside. I mean sure dwarves who fall in a river can easily climb out of it. Hooray!! .. but there's a problem.

See I embarked near a river with a waterfall. I built a bridge over the river and told my two woodcutters to chop down trees on the other side. So far so good right? Well at the edge of the waterfall the water level is a mere 1 or 2 because of the powerful torrents and the massive fall. Quite natural, right?

Well dwarven logic dictates that a low waterlevel is completely passable. Something they wouldn't even have thought about before the ramps along the river edge were implemented. So they both took a shortcut through the waterfall and ended up 10 z levels down in a crushed mess. I facepalmed as I watched their blood being swept further down the stream.

For now, just use dfhack to deramp the area near the waterfall, or floor it over, or wall it off, or etc.

Reading up on funny stories I facepalmed reading this. Right, I can do this with DFHack. (looks at a pile of about 30 corpses beneath a 2 z-level waterfall drop). Sorry guys. And girls. And were-creature. And assorted goblins and other invaders.

______

I usually use exact matches and say for example metal breastplate. Partial match for that would be any metal upper body wear or any breastplate, including a wooden one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:37:18 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: March 17, 2012, 01:40:26 am »

Well... Kind of a facepalm...

My Legendary+5 stonecrafter was just taken by a mood... He BETTER make something good, lol.

EDIT: Oh wait, nevermind, it's a possession. So not a waste of a mood, after all... Kinda :p

E2: Native gold, with giant weasel bone spikes, and a gabbro image. Dwarves killing a gloom hag. Value 74,400. So I guess not a waste.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:44:30 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 729