Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129955 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5925 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:33 am »

Danger Room......made out of menacing spikes instead of training spears...

and then i AFKd for a bit to let them train....= endless cycle of training/dying <- then haulers go to remove corpses and die as well -.-

In Soviet Dwarf Fortress, game exploits you!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: March 07, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »

Genned my first world in 34.xx today. I set the time limit to 5000 years.
When I check the legends screen, I notice the surprisingly high number ( ~360) of artifacts.

Turns out, every single one is a legendary book, written by a mole monster (demon, i guess) who is also the leader of a human civ. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
The whole classic literature of this World are "vicious" essays about Making Love to Diseases, Being a Mole Monsters and the Superiority of Man OR essays about the mentioned essays OR essays about the essays about the essays.
I think some of them are even named like that...
This mole monster is the only person in this world who can write! What does it even think it is doing?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: March 07, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »

Genned my first world in 34.xx today. I set the time limit to 5000 years.
When I check the legends screen, I notice the surprisingly high number ( ~360) of artifacts.

Turns out, every single one is a legendary book, written by a mole monster (demon, i guess) who is also the leader of a human civ. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
The whole classic literature of this World are "vicious" essays about Making Love to Diseases, Being a Mole Monsters and the Superiority of Man OR essays about the mentioned essays OR essays about the essays about the essays.
I think some of them are even named like that...
This mole monster is the only person in this world who can write! What does it even think it is doing?
I think you told a story of a world of time-traveller.
"Mole monster" were the one scientist of the survived race of moles who travelled to the past and stucked then.
So he wrote a lot of books in a hope that even though one of the books will somehow somewhen reach the far descendants and he will receive help from future.
Finis sanctificat media.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: March 08, 2012, 04:44:59 am »

The whole classic literature of this World are "vicious" essays about Making Love to Diseases...

Where is this world, and are they accepting new migrants?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:33 am »

The new "rivers have edges" thing has a downside. I mean sure dwarves who fall in a river can easily climb out of it. Hooray!! .. but there's a problem.

See I embarked near a river with a waterfall. I built a bridge over the river and told my two woodcutters to chop down trees on the other side. So far so good right? Well at the edge of the waterfall the water level is a mere 1 or 2 because of the powerful torrents and the massive fall. Quite natural, right?

Well dwarven logic dictates that a low waterlevel is completely passable. Something they wouldn't even have thought about before the ramps along the river edge were implemented. So they both took a shortcut through the waterfall and ended up 10 z levels down in a crushed mess. I facepalmed as I watched their blood being swept further down the stream.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: March 08, 2012, 09:23:03 am »

A known and reported bug.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »

my marksmen standing behind fortifications, the enemies before them, none of the Dorfs was shooting, they had bolts!!
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: March 08, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »

my marksmen standing behind fortifications, the enemies before them, none of the Dorfs was shooting, they had bolts!!
Had the same thing, just with an archery tower. Down on the ground was a bowman. In the tower were my marksdorfs. One of them. Died. From arrows to the knee. But no, they didn't shoot back.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:26 am »

The new "rivers have edges" thing has a downside. I mean sure dwarves who fall in a river can easily climb out of it. Hooray!! .. but there's a problem.

See I embarked near a river with a waterfall. I built a bridge over the river and told my two woodcutters to chop down trees on the other side. So far so good right? Well at the edge of the waterfall the water level is a mere 1 or 2 because of the powerful torrents and the massive fall. Quite natural, right?

Well dwarven logic dictates that a low waterlevel is completely passable. Something they wouldn't even have thought about before the ramps along the river edge were implemented. So they both took a shortcut through the waterfall and ended up 10 z levels down in a crushed mess. I facepalmed as I watched their blood being swept further down the stream.

For now, just use dfhack to deramp the area near the waterfall, or floor it over, or wall it off, or etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: March 09, 2012, 02:33:10 am »

started building a floor tile bridge across a gap, changed my mind, designated it all to be removed...

Yup, someone removed the supporting floor tile while 3 other dwarves were removing tiles further out.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: March 09, 2012, 03:27:30 am »

For now, just use dfhack to deramp the area near the waterfall, or floor it over, or wall it off, or etc.

Nope. I just set the riverbed to "restricted" and the dwarves happily started using the bridge instead. :)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: March 09, 2012, 03:46:08 am »

Nope. I just set the riverbed to "restricted" and the dwarves happily started using the bridge instead. :)

I'm having the same problem right now, cept it's a 17 z drop...

I'm damming the river at the map edge, instead;-)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: March 10, 2012, 12:35:37 am »

Build a reservoir to hook up to a brook. Never noticed the brook was stagnant somehow until it was all done.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: March 10, 2012, 01:42:56 am »

Just spent 20 minutes working out what the different colors meant under the Units List, since there doesn't seem to be a wiki page for it. As I'm posting a new thread on it, asking if I got this right, I noticed Dwarf Therapist has the colors laid out in the same basic arrangement.

Face palm.

Then noticed the skills/attributes wiki page breaks it all down with the same color-coding.

Double face palm.

wastedlands

• Bay Watcher
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: March 10, 2012, 07:08:45 pm »

Survived my very first goblin ambush, only to have the dwarves tantrum because I hadn't been paying attention to their food needs.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 729