Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137233 times)

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5850 on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:04 pm »

Built a drawbridge across the river. Time to test it. Urist McRandom, PULL THE LEVER!
Sploosh, there goes Urist McExpeditionFisherdwarf.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

I was busy digging out my sheriff's quarters, when I get a sudden damp stone located warning. I say to myself "now that can't be right, I removed all aquifers. This game HAS to be glitching". So I ignore the warning and keep digging...and strike some puddingstone and yup, an aquifer. I forgot pudding stone does carry aquifers, AND it's found in inorganic_mineral(which I didn't bother with), not inorganic_stone_layer  :(. Fortunately, the was near the bottom of my fort, and I hadn't dug very deep, so it was no trouble to reroute my main staircase (though this did mean intruding on the caverns briefly)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: February 25, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »

My latest fort has been one disaster after another  :P

It started minor at first, like accidentally channeling my legendary miner to his death, which also resulted in him bloodying my water supply.  Then, a forgotten beast arrived, and things went from bad from worse.  The beast in question had deadly dust, so i was wary of facing it in direct combat.  So I decided to send in my expendable squad of marksdwarfs to kill it.  It was only when they started to try and beat it to death with their wooden crossbows that i realised I had forgotten to assign them any bolts  ::)  Suprisingly, the marksdwarves were actually killing it, but that changed when it let off its dust.  For about 20 seconds nothing happened, and i tohught i'd gotten off easy.  I was wrong.  After those 20 seconds, i noticed one of my dwarves was generating miasma.  Then another, and another, until they all were.  Roughly ten seconds after this, they all dropped down dead of blood loss.  Great.  As i was thinking of a new plan to kill it, i noticed more deaths appearing on my screen, non military.  I then remembered that i had forgot to assign the civilians to the emergency burrow when it arrived, so i currently had an army of dwarves making a beeline for the dead dwarves and equipment  :o   The only thing that saved me from complete disaster was that one of the haulers was my awesome 90 kill migrant wrestler man, who managed to scratch the beast in half before succumbing to blood loss.  All in all, i lost over 25 dwarves in that disaster, though I am beginning to recover (for now)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: February 25, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »

I decided to assign some War Beasts (Dogs, Elephant, Jaguar) to my Commander. I went to the [v]>Prf page of the elephant and it said:
"This animal is waiting for conflict"
"Ready for Slaughter [N]"
I set Ready for Slaughter to [Y] and before I knew it:

The Stray war Elephant (Tame) has been slaughtered

>:(   :-[   :'(

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: February 25, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

Human Civ Name: Durr Rope

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:23 am »

I decided to assign some War Beasts (Dogs, Elephant, Jaguar) to my Commander. I went to the [v]>Prf page of the elephant and it said:

>:(   :-[   :'(

Thought it meant "ready to slaughter" didn't you?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: February 26, 2012, 01:41:21 am »

Why, just why are the sieges way weaker than ambushes?

An ambush is capable of defeating a whole 6 armed dwarves caravan + a 5 Steel armoured army, putting the whole fort into a state of "let's all go mad together, possibly killing each others".
3 months later, a two squads ambush comes, nobody wants to pull the lever that closes the main bridge. The whole fort is now being protected by a short corridor, 3 wide, with two rows of cages and only two weapon traps, only with a few crappy weapons in them.
The two squad leaders manage to get captured and their whole army just stay near the cages. Fortunately for them a tantruming dwarf comes their way, and some comes after him, begining the wipe out of the whole population, that tries to resist with the few weapons and armours I have for them.
The battle let 5 dwarves in the hospital, a baby and a child in the main room, and a massive amount of animals, including a horse that the only remaining invader have been following for 5 months now, not managing to do real damages, and runing in circles around the fort.

Soon, the baby and the "injured" (two only had light injuries and would have been perfectly fine working) starve and dehydrate to death.
In the mean time, the child drink the reserve of booze and eat food, in quantities sufficient to last two years at least, and the chickens reproduce so much that there are many of them everywhere in the fort, like they were the inhabitants.

Why can't I have a fort wiped out at least once when it doesn't involves me actively doing it? (flood, magma...)
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: February 26, 2012, 02:38:58 am »

"Wait, it says my kitchen area doesn't have access to a millstone? Also, why is everybody in that burrow throwing a tantrum?"
"Well, it looks like your down stair...  8) is actually an up stair. (YEAAAAAHHHHH!)"

Duh. Feeling so stupid right now.

(Previously, everybody just went in and out through the unfinished refuse stockpile roof. After it was completed, however...)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: February 26, 2012, 02:49:26 am »

I have a goblin hammerman trapped but causing job cancelation spam...

HOW DID HE DODGE UP two z-levels to land on that ledge?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: February 26, 2012, 03:22:33 am »

I have a goblin hammerman trapped but causing job cancelation spam...

HOW DID HE DODGE UP two z-levels to land on that ledge?
Bug. A creature can rush and dodge upwards if done properly and only if under attack.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:16 am »

Make him dodge a cloud of bolts this time.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:43 am »

Make him dodge a cloud of bolts this time.

After digging a deep moat.
around him.
dont spill Armoks second favorite liquid on him.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Stuball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: February 26, 2012, 10:11:16 am »

I had just embarked on a new fortress and, as it was the middle of winter, the rivers were frozen over and all the ground was covered in snow. Once spring arrived, the snow melted and the rivers returned to normal. The issue came with the placement of my wagon upon embarking directly on the currently frozen river, due to the snow covering the frozen river I was completely unaware that there even was a river below me and pretty much exactly when spring arrived, everything melted, leaving my still fully stocked wagon to fall into the river.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: February 26, 2012, 12:45:08 pm »

15 dwarves.

Guys! Water Buffalo Bull Corpses! Aiii!!!!

Militia: no prob guys, we handled that one of ours that turned after the anaconda attack, we've taken out harpy corpses, eagle corpses, this is no big [SPLAT]!

[SPLAT][SPLAT]

Those were our three best dudes, man. Dude.

Send the marksdwarf!!!!

[SPL...] Wait, helmet bug! Three water buffalo corpses are stamping his bismuth bronze barriered skull, three feet from the fortress entrance!!!

5 minutes later, no change...

Your fortress has been abandoned.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: February 26, 2012, 07:44:58 pm »

Quote from: Lolfail0009 on February 25, 2012, 08:11:28 pm

>:(  :-[  :'(

Thought it meant "ready to slaughter" didn't you?

Just a bit.

Also, Caverns 2 and 3 are dry. No magma  :'(
Edit: Excepting the sea.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 729