Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136796 times)

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4950 on: August 29, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »

I didn't bother to read the wiki on how to mass pit my caged animals for my soldiers to shoot at, and just designated a pit zone... it resulted in much Fun, as well as the loss of one of my legendary miners.

Now I have a nice system with hatch covers on my animal stockpile in place, so that animals and goblins can be pitted safely.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »

I just accidentally crushed my legendary axedwarf under a drawbridge because he chased a crundle in a bout of zealotry. He was wearing full masterwork steel, and an artifact cotton candy helm, bearing an artifact steel and diamond axe.

I could cry >.<

My best armoursmith went insane as a result...
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: August 29, 2011, 08:31:28 pm »

I do hope he didn't die in vain; was the crundle crushed as well? :)

Oh, another facepalm moment I had today: I killed my entire war dog population in a danger room, because I didn't think about assigning them to a pasture...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: August 30, 2011, 03:32:36 am »

A bit spoilery this one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JTH

• Bay Watcher
  • Selemat Pagi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: August 30, 2011, 05:36:03 am »

I started a new fort after losing my previous one to a botched save (my computer just loves to crash at the worst times). Since I had read a bit from Weaver's rather short bid with Pony Fortress: Dying Is Magic, I decided I'd try my hand at it. I love it so hard. I decided to embark in a Pocket Region to save FPS and it's running so fast I can barely keep track of the seasons. I started with a "Rainbow Pony" civilization (which means that it contains all pony species) and I'm having a ball reading their status screens. There's Pegasi, Unicorns, Vampire Ponies, ponies with a tentacle instead of a unicorn horn, and even SPIDER PONIES with eight legs that shoot webbing (making enough socks for them is a bitch). Bonus points to the modder who made this since Pegasi and Vampires can actually fly. That surprised me when a caravan was pelted with wooden arrows as a group of diomedian ponies swooped down and raped them.

Strangely, I seem to have isolated myself from all humans, elves, and dwarves, leaving only two other pony civilizations to trade with and one to assault me. At one point two years in, I had three waves of thieves and four ambushes all at the same time. Thankfully, I have four engineers who all made a bunch of cage traps. I'll have to work on military soon, but I like to have at least sixty or so civvies before going for the old steel and iron. Alas, recent events point that I will soon have to take a more active role in my fort's defense.

I'm still working on finding some good weapon ore and am preparing some able bodies to scour the caverns in search of magma. It's ironic, my previous fortress' biggest problem was lack of trees. It had everything from a volcano to ample metal ores, but the lack of trees made steel-making and beds an utter nightmare. Now that I've embarked in a foresty mountain, I have very little ore, no magma, but plenty of wood for all my wood needs. Perhaps the Ponite the ambush ponies left me will fulfill that role.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:13 am »

Trying to even play this game D:
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: August 30, 2011, 05:31:44 pm »

I do hope he didn't die in vain; was the crundle crushed as well? :)

Thankfully the crundle was in a million pieces a fraction before the bridge came down. Who knows what damage it could have wrecked against my fortress /rolleyes  :-\
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: September 01, 2011, 02:56:59 am »

Trying to even play this game D:

That is a good facepalm.  ;)

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: September 01, 2011, 03:43:52 am »

Two dudes, my legendary miner/bookkeeper/broker and a legendary mechanic were caught by a siege in a dragon-cave under construction.  Fortunately they were safe, and I could supply them with food and booze through the chute that was going to be the dragon-feeding hole of despair.  Since they had nothing better to do, I set them to smooth the cave.

On the level above, I have a drowning-tunnel, which I used to good effect, drowning two large squads of gobbo's.  Looking to avoid rotting corpses in my tunnel, I hit the "flush" lever, which sends all the water and junk into the dragon cave, which contains a large conical drain that leads to some pipes that lead to the caverns.  The waterfall would cheer up my poor stuck dwarves, I thought. 

And it did!  Until my mechanic got thirsty and decided to walk through the waterfall to the booze barrel on the other side of the room.  He slipped on the wet rock and was quickly swept into the drain. FACEPALM!! Down he went, through about half the first pipe before gaining control of himself and starting swimming back.  He had no swimming skill, but even against the current he made it back and almost touched the pipe opening.  But alas, he struggled in vain.  His friend in captivity would never see his return. 

A slab will be mounted in the memorial hall, because I'm not letting anyone else go into that drain. This is the third dwarven death attributable to that structure, and we don't need any more. 

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:27 am »

This is the third dwarven death attributable to that structure, and we don't need any will have many more.
fixed that for ya!

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: September 01, 2011, 12:53:01 pm »

When I was building Archery Ranges quickly to train, and didn't realize I had made them out of gold bars.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: September 01, 2011, 01:09:59 pm »

Using k I realized that all the "gold" I had spent the last two game year mining out was limonite... Which be great if i didn't already ahve a massive magnetite stockpile.   -_-#

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »

Ugh, that reminds me of the time I went ahead and spent most of my wood supply making practice bolts because I had that huge limonite deposit I could always make coke out of. You make coke from limonite, right? I'll check the wiki later, just keep making those bolts, Urist.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »

When I realized mechanisms were classified as furniture, and as such....I have tons of <=Limonite Mechanism=> of gems. >.>
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: September 01, 2011, 03:16:52 pm »

I think the biggest facepalm i had was when i made a trap to cave-in the floor/roof onto some gobbo invaders and it took out the goblin, and half the farm level underneath them, and the workshops beneath them and the the dormitory below that. I lost 17 dwarves to kill 8 goblins.
SUCCESS!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:19:05 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 729