Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129924 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4665 on: June 28, 2011, 06:53:13 pm »

If the game doesn't crash, and you have a playable race, that might be a very fun error. Entire races of Forgotten Beasts?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:30 pm »

Oddly enough, I have got fortress mode to run. All of my dwarfs are towering feathered bristleworms with wings. They have barrels made of turkey tallow and chests made out of human hair.

Also, the wagon appears to have been hauled by turkeys.

Yup, duplicate raws. The gift that keeps on giving (you insane amounts of insanity)!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: June 28, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »

Wait... Do they bristleworms have hands? Mwa-ha-ha-ha...

(Blarg. I should really get some sleep. Starting to get kinda giddy.)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »

They ain't got no hands at-all. All they do is look at their tools forlornly, feeling ashamed.

I'm going to mess around with this, though. A fortress of forgotten beasts is something worth trying for.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: June 29, 2011, 03:01:43 am »

My very first fortress, when I tried to irrigate a small cavern for mining.
Urist Mcleverpuller decided that, no, on second thought, that water on the other side of the room was really scary, so pulling the lever to close the floodgate on -this- side of the room had far too real a possibility of getting him slightly damp.
15 minutes and plenty of fun later, I finish loading my new fortress.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #4670 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:06 am »

Embarking on a temperate site, seeing only snow at the beginning, no water. Already thinking how to dig down to the lower cavern levels for water, then I do *one* layer down below the surface and I see frozen ponds under the snow. Facepalm, and happiness that I will have easy access to water in a couple of months.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:40 am »

Better that than *not* noticing the pool directly under your waggon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »

My militia commander passing out after killing an enemy goblin. Passing out while on top of my only weapon trap.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: June 30, 2011, 12:51:38 am »

my level puller pulling the bridge lever AFTER the savanna titan had crossed the perimeter bridge....**facepalm** wouldnt have been so bad except my military intercepted it on the bank of a pool....half drowned from dodging, the other half from the titan: which was eventually killed by a war capybara.

--sigh.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4674 on: June 30, 2011, 02:05:05 am »

my level puller pulling the bridge lever AFTER the savanna titan had crossed the perimeter bridge....**facepalm** wouldnt have been so bad except my military intercepted it on the bank of a pool....half drowned from dodging, the other half from the titan: which was eventually killed by a war capybara.
Hah, that's the way. Some dig safety ramps on pools to reduce their awesome deadliness.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: June 30, 2011, 02:09:44 am »

Hah, that's the way. Some dig safety ramps on pools to reduce their awesome deadliness.

yeah its usually not till after my first incident that remember to do this.....
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: June 30, 2011, 02:12:54 am »

Realizing that I could use bridges instead of floodgates to control water partway through my giant tower-cap farm project.
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

Pierre Monteux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »

Locking Urist McMoody in his room, only to discover a few months later "Urist McChild cancels sleep, interrupted by dwarf." shortly after Urist McMoody went breserk.  It turns out that I had accidently mined out a wall to the next bedroom.  I lost 3 dwarves before my military showed up. 

FUN.
I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

Laughing Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: July 01, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »

Finished digging the cistern and plumbing for my dining room wells (conveniently located 7 z-levels down).  Channeled the river to fill it, and suddenly realized that I forgot to depressurize the water.  Glub glub glub.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: July 01, 2011, 07:03:28 pm »

Just now realized what stone pots are for. Face to palm.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 729