Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130105 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4575 on: June 04, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »

I had 6 dwarves got driven down a channel and off an 80-z cavern cliff by draining water because they were trying to build coffins for dwarves that'd preceded them down, out of rocks from the channel of death.  That's over a quarter of the fort's population at this point.  One even took a freaking pick with him.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:41 pm »

Embark on a 'Deep Metals, Shallow Metals, Flux' location, extinct civilization.  Result:  Lots of tetrahedrite and colbaltite.  Oh joy.  Plenty of marble and limestone, though, and sand and fire clay available too.  Not so bad, except from a weaponry and armoring standpoint.

Alright.  Plan B.  Humans will come soon.   Let's make some junk to trade for bronze whatsits.  ... no humans.

Alright.  Plan C.  Goblinite.  ... but all the goblins have is copper and leather, too.

FINE.  Shiny bluemetal it is.

(Ironically, I set metal frequency to 1000, down from 2500 stock.  At 500 I was finding all sorts of goodies in every layer, so I bumped rarity back up a little.  There must be a sweet spot somewhere in between...)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: June 05, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »

(Ironically, I set metal frequency to 1000, down from 2500 stock.  At 500 I was finding all sorts of goodies in every layer, so I bumped rarity back up a little.  There must be a sweet spot somewhere in between...)

I've seen a representation of the mineral occurrence as a graph. It seemed to be exponential in growth. Kind of like:
y = x^2
1 = 1^2
4 = 2^2
9 = 3^2
16 = 4^2

The higher x gets the more dramatic the increase in y... with the exception here being x needs to get smaller or something.

So it may be less of a sweet spot and more just your standard exponential growth being a lot more than the intended reaction.

EDIT: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Advanced_world_generation
The graph is on this page.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:48:16 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »

Tanner just got a fey mood, takes over his shop and I have no idea what to expect because I don't do much tanning.
Few minutes later "Urist Mcdumbass has created Stigazbal, an elephant leather buckler!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: June 05, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

And that's bad why? It's much better than a useless loincloth or skirt.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:10 am »

I just got an ash flute, a turtle bone crown, and a cat leather earring. Blah. At least you guys can use yours.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: June 06, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »

I got a pig tail fiber bikini. :|

srsly, what would a dwarf look like in a bikini :/
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: June 06, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »

Such things are barely imaginable by mortal men, as when a dwarf would require to look alluring is.... difficult. The spores just drift around naturally. No encouragement needed.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

George Dorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:22 pm »

One of my first embarks, I started to wonder if I could mine out the base of a hill to remove any access to the top. Everything was going fine and then all of a sudden there was a gigantic crash, dust clouds everywhere, and four dead dwarfs.

I wasn't even aware that the game had cave-ins, haha whoops.

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: June 06, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »

Now I'm worried some stupid recruit is going to decide that a leather shield is the best way to protect himself, and I won't notice until his guts are all over the barracks.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »

Such things are barely imaginable by mortal men, as when a dwarf would require to look alluring is.... difficult. The spores just drift around naturally. No encouragement needed.

I'm imagining huge balls of beard with hands and feet. No wonder the kittens adopt dwarves; they think they're just big balls of string!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: June 07, 2011, 04:29:08 am »

I just send my dwarves to clean up the last goblin ambush which died in my upright spear trap. I forgot to cancel the "Pull the Lever - R" job. Now I have lost some dwarves to my own stupidity. *facepalm*
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: June 07, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »

Now I'm worried some stupid recruit is going to decide that a leather shield is the best way to protect himself, and I won't notice until his guts are all over the barracks.
But, shield materials are all identical for the purposes of blocking. The only difference material makes is weight, and ability to bash things.

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: June 07, 2011, 10:55:54 pm »

Alright so not long ago I caught a minotaur in a cage trap, almost as soon as he entered the map. After a bit I let him do some arena combat to help clean out my massive stocks of caged goblins. The very first time I let them all loose I forgot to lock the doors, but everyone got caught again in the traps I set outside the arena. Not long after that I got irritated with my dorfs for being too retarded and abandoned and reclaimed. When I returned I realized the minotaur had freed itself, and was currently mauling things in the caverns. Before long I had sealed him in well enough, and forgot about him again until I had resorted everything into stockpiles and such. Well when I finished I wanted to recapture the minotaur, so I set up a few cage traps outside the wall I was having him reenter the fort through. I am then distracted by a few ambushes, which manage to kill a few dwarves. When I'm finished with them, I go back to find that while the cage traps were set up fine, the minotaur had just walked on by them, and was slaughtering my fortress from the bottom up. My military, a bit the worse for wear from the ambushes completely failed to stop him, and he eventually caused my first total fort kill.

I'm reclaiming again and I swear I will capture that son of a bitch, and he is not getting loose again.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:38 pm »

Well, mine is a bit different.

So, my first time experimenting with macros, I recorded a lengthy session of an adventurer picking up a big stockpile of rocks, and throwing them back down. So my guy was sitting in some random woods, in sneak-mode, and I played my macro. It went ok, albeit much slower then just doing it manually, then I see a single approaching from the side. "No problem, I'll just cancel the macro and go smash this wolf".

Nope. The macro keeps playing, no matter what I do. The wolf attacks and displaces me to a grassy patch. Since it has "a" in the macro, over and over, I kept getting the announcement page coming up, blinking, while squeezing in commands to kill the damn wolf or something, which, in the process I managed to set fire to all the shrubs around with my arrow-key mashing to chase and kill this wolf while this damn macro is spamming other key commands.
So, I eventually get caught in the fires the macro was setting and I get "you are melting x59" before I ever kill the wolf and I die. That doesn't stop the macro, which is still hitting "t,t,enter" and on exiting advent mode, it selects my favorite fort save, which I'm suddenly looking at. Struggling to stop the madness, I manage to abandon the fortress.

Turns out I abandoned fortress on the only good save of a long-going project that set me back two weeks or so in IRL gameplay.

I manged to exit DF while the macro kept spamming "t,t,enter".

Not sure if that counted as "Fun" or not, but it certainly punished the crap out of me for inexperience, which is fun, I think.

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 729