Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130055 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4530 on: May 28, 2011, 04:37:24 am »

I started up a new world, and found out that my dwarves have never developed the high boot. They're all foreign.

Oh, and so is iron. I have caravan guards with no iron armor or weapons, caravans that offer no iron goods, and I cannot order them from the liaison.

I can order steel stuff, though.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: May 28, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »

The Keeper Civ The Musical Confederacy worshipped a deity named Calvaria, the sphere of control?

Suicide  ::)

The ironic part is they were the only surviving Keeper civ and the second most populous race in the world...

Obviously their deity expressed her power by making people who refuse to worship her so miserable they commit suicide.  I figure it involves following them around being annoying.

Kinda like how a Dwarven God of consolation is associated with alcohol.
Or maybe their music was just so awful a god began suggesting suicide to all believers.

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: May 28, 2011, 01:53:25 pm »

Back when I was still new I made a fort on an island. When I was warned the water was salty I ignored it thinking "Pfft, Real dwarves drink booze anyways!". In the end everyone died from either thirst, melancholy, or the fact my wood cutter went mad and killed people.I actually found out that water was important after the 1st few thirsty dwarves popped up.I tried (Failed) to make a water tower.I might reclaim one day.
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:15 pm »

I had a well built over a river.  But the well was bringing up stagnant water.

After looking around for a bit i figured that it was because the well was too far from the map edge on either side, making it not think the water was flowing.

So I build a little platform for a screw pump a little bit downriver, figuring I would freshen the flow by pulling from the river and immediately dumping it back in.  I then hook it up DIRECTLY to a water wheel to keep it powered.

*facepalm*

The map starts flooding because the pump starts spewing water everywhere, despite the output being directly above the river, the river is a full 7/7 there.  The water from the pump has nowhere to go but onto the shore.

The whole pumping structure is a turbulent flood of endless water.  There is no emergency lever, because it's connected directly to the water wheel, nothing can be deconstructed to stop the terror because all who try just get washed into the river and drown.

Fortress death by waterwheel+screw pump.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:38 pm »

Reclaim on a 120 high mountain. what was i thinking...

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: May 28, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »

So I am facing a mass dehydration in my fortress because I cant get any wood to make barrels during an invasion. I decide that Im probably going to lose the fort anyways, so I send my two legendary axedwarves to stand behind my drawbridge and prepare to make a heroic last stand.

I pull the lever...

...and the bridge atom-smashes the two dwarfs and the invaders kill my fort

... you know you can make pots, functional equivalents of barrels, out of stone, right?

Facepalm part 2

Facepalm part three

This guy is joking, right?
I almost threw up the kebab i just ate because of this

xRDVx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: May 28, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »

Thīkut Monangustuh, Miner has died from thirst.

He died in an area I designated for mining a few seasons ago to be mined after he channeled his way in. Somehow he managed to trap himself in without any slopes to go back up. Glad he wasn't one of my legendary miners....

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: May 28, 2011, 04:53:33 pm »

Thīkut Monangustuh, Miner has died from thirst.

He died in an area I designated for mining a few seasons ago to be mined after he channeled his way in. Somehow he managed to trap himself in without any slopes to go back up. Glad he wasn't one of my legendary miners....
You should check your idlers, your health screen, and what the fuck you're doing more often. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Heavily Armed Effigy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: May 28, 2011, 07:18:23 pm »

Two facepalm moments today:

1. My fortress, totally unprepared for battle, was almost completely annihilated by a goblin ambush. The goblins were beating up on an unconscious dwarf for literally months, unstoppable by my untrained dwarfs. Then a group of rhesus macaques spawned, and the goblins immediately fled the map.

2. The dwarf that was being beaten up by the goblins for months finally got rescued, and as soon as she was being carried to safety, she suffocated to death.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: May 28, 2011, 11:46:42 pm »

Someone told me I can assign weapons and armor to the sheriff, and I'm facepalming because I still can't figure it out.

Soon as I can get the elves to bring some *Balsa war hammers* guess what he's getting.
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: May 29, 2011, 12:33:49 am »

Someone told me I can assign weapons and armor to the sheriff, and I'm facepalming because I still can't figure it out.

Soon as I can get the elves to bring some *Balsa war hammers* guess what he's getting.

Go into the [m]ilitary screen, set up a squad for "Sheriff" or "Captain of the Guard" (after 50 dorfs), set him up in a squad by himself, and assign him specific weapon and armor from there.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:25 am »

Go into the [m]ilitary screen, set up a squad for "Sheriff" or "Captain of the Guard" (after 50 dorfs), set him up in a squad by himself, and assign him specific weapon and armor from there.

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't see 'Sheriff' or anything in the military screen.

Do I have to assign him as a militia captain, also?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: May 29, 2011, 12:54:46 am »

Feather wood will probably be your best bet for material. It is an extremely light weight wood. If you can make a training hammer out of that, it should be the weakest hammer known to dwarf-kind... Since feather wood has a density of 100 and THAT WEIRD METAL has a density of 200.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: May 29, 2011, 12:55:41 am »

Feather wood will probably be your best bet for material. It is an extremely light weight wood. If you can make a training hammer out of that, it should be the weakest hammer known to dwarf-kind... Since feather wood has a density of 100 and THAT WEIRD METAL has a density of 200.
You mean cotton candy right?

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: May 29, 2011, 06:40:40 am »

I just found out you can designate more than one wall to be constructed at once. I'd been designating one by one since... since I started playing DF.

Well, now I just found out. And the worst part is that it took me two days after having read this post to realize...

YEARS, I'VE BEEN PLAYING YEARS!! :o
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 729