Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137127 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4290 on: April 16, 2011, 03:14:58 pm »

It was meant to be better than steel, actually.
Some of those tags don't exist in any of the metal raws. _ELASTICITY is only applied to bending, the rest of the stress types take _STRAIN_AT_YIELD. Also, many of the values are inferior to steel's. With the exception of elasticity and strain at yield, higher is better.

Did you test this metal in .12? The steel raws haven't changed between that version and the latest one.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »

1. didnt know you could zoom through Z levels with hotkeys.. and I'm a guy who always builds forts deep underground and manages the moving from top to bottom.

2. didnt know you could get your dwarfs to drop those "named" weapons/shields by making them get exact matches in armor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: April 16, 2011, 06:56:59 pm »

Apparently at some point in the past, for some unknown reason, I built all of my cages containing werewolves and attached them to the same lever as my atom smasher. The cages were approximately 20 tiles away from my dining hall. I activated the atom smasher...

Not nearly as much as a facepalm as it could have been. My war grizzlies and jaguar took down one of them, while my militia commander who was for once on the scene killed the second. One of the grizzlies was mildly injured, and the jaguar has semi-serious injuries, but probably not anything fatal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: April 16, 2011, 07:59:10 pm »

An important combat lesson was learned today: Armourless axedwarves < Serpentman Blowgunners.

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: April 16, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »

A snow storm has come.
It's summer.
>.>
(I think that counts :/)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: April 17, 2011, 02:54:25 am »

uh... i hit an aquifer and pumped it out...
... into my river.
there does my fresh water supply  :'(
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: April 17, 2011, 12:02:08 pm »

Playing civilization forge, arming my dorfs with the best i had:

Commander: Mithril longsword
3 soldiers: Orichalcum war hammers
3 soldiers: Shimmersteel spears
3 soldiers: Shimmersteel battleaxes
Manager ordered them, done, lets equip them... what? no axes? :P Maybe i forgot them.
Let's do them again: 3 crucible steel battleaxes
Done, let's equip.. AGAIN!?
Stocks, weapons... they are there wtf? zoom... Urist McPeon*6 have the axes
FACEPALM
(my peons are masons, engravers, carpenters, woodcutters and haulers, currently i have more than 20 (useless migrants))

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: April 17, 2011, 02:44:38 pm »

Son of a bitch! A Forgoteen Beast's deadly dust somehow crashed the game! I lost so much progress! draining a subterranean lake, building a whole residential wing, a Dwarven Child with a strange mood...

Shit.

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: April 17, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »

Oh dear. Green glass windows are apparently not acceptable supports for a tower roof.

11 dwarven casualties, 20+ animals. and about 20-25 floors to rebuild. Not counting the tantruming and berserking that, of course, followed after with a big grin.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: April 17, 2011, 05:52:49 pm »

2 WTFs in quick succession… goblin siege arrives so I raise the drawbridge. 2 war dogs outside to attract them through my 7 x 3 trap field and into my lava trap (mwahahahaha!). First wave of trolls arrives, one gets minced the rest leg it. “bwahahahahaa! Yes! Run in fear!” I declare. The rest of the horde arrives and enters the killing field. Limbs start flying all over the place, corpses start to pile up. Then… one goblin appears the other side of the traps! No injuries!  He dodged 7 (more depending on which way he dodged for each) traps! All with high quality parts. It looked like he just teleported there! The rest of the goblins decide to leave whilst all their limbs are still attached. So I think “ah well. Send out a squad to deal with Mr flying goblin”. Nope. HE DOES IT AGAIN! Gets away with the rest of them (2 badly wounded archers and a troll left behind. Quickly dealt with by aforementioned squad).
To commemorate that battle a metalcrafter goes secretive. Picks up a piece of cotton candy. “interesting” I think “wonder what he’s going to make. Armour? A weapon? Another cage?”. Nope. Starts working with just that. End result… an earring. With a picture of a black-cap on it. *facepalm* does he think blue-stuff grows on trees?

erissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: April 17, 2011, 07:24:56 pm »

Oh dear. Green glass windows are apparently not acceptable supports for a tower roof.

You can use green glass blocks to build floors and walls.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: April 17, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »

I thought I had proper defenses set up, so when an ambush came I closed the drawbridge and grinned...only to realize that my shiny-new defensive walls actually made a very nice path straight to the pond my dorfs had been using to clean themselves.   Which they were still using to clean themselves. In the middle of an ambush. *facepalm*  I had to try twice to get it fully blocked off, and lost about a fifth of my population the meantime.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: April 18, 2011, 02:24:37 am »

I embarked on the most legendary volcano in the world. The mouth opens at the base of a valley, hundreds of readily available ores of almost every kind, readily harnessable magma, and no threats except a bunch of skeletal yak and goats in the surrounding mountains.

TOO EASY FACEPALM

I'm abandoning after my second year because it's just too simple. Everyone is drafted the military and all are decked out in steel. All surfaces in the liviing quarters are gold, silver, copper and zinc. And finally, the circus was visited, and everyone whooped some clown ass. My squads are holding them at bay and the fort is still continuing as normal.

Goblin ambushes were repelled, iron towers were built, and everything  I could think of short of dumping boiling magma onto the world was tried to make it more fun. Just too easy.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:59 pm »

everything  I could think of short of dumping boiling magma onto the world was tried to make it more fun. Just too easy.
And why not? Good enougth for Boatmurdered, good enough for you.
Just watch the butterflies, sneaky little beasts.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Milarki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: April 18, 2011, 05:18:13 pm »

Well, this is the first facepalm I can report...

Situation: I had lost a legendary miner to drowning in the nearby river as I tried to transform it from a brook to an actual river. The idiot somehow managed to pull a cave-in in the brook. Seems that the brook floor acts exactly like the normal floor. I had built a couple of pumps in order to pull some water out and try to make a dam, as well as rescuing the miner I lost (or at least his things). Quite the beauty, 16 pumps, fed by three water-wheels and only using two gears.
Didn't work at all. Not sure if it was that the pumps weren't pulling the water fast enough, or if the draining system (a tunnel that drives into a small part in the north where there weren't many people) couldn't drain as fast as required. Anyway, Project Rescue went down the drain (pardon the pun).
Now, I have just found the magma sea, and am making plans to make an obsidian farm. Very easy, but somewhat slow, because I have to build a pump stack from level -62 to level -22 so that it isn't too far away from the rest of my fortress and building things fast isn't a forte of my dorfs. I plan to also use the Project Rescue thing to get enough water for the obsidian making. I have yet to know whether it will actually work, but water easily reaches its intended objective through a set of stairs (that I have to forbid so that the guys don't get drowned, though I could just erase the ramps in the higher part to prevent dorfs from taking that route at all).

Now, the facepalm: I see something walking over the outer bridge and decide to pull its lever to see it fly. I accidentally pull the level that engages the gear that activates Project Rescue, and suddenly I start getting messages of people not being able to bring something to the tomb.

Ending result: 4 dead guys. Not as impressive as some other things around here, but it's a first attempt :D.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 729