Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129934 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4275 on: April 14, 2011, 09:06:14 pm »

Drown him in wooden bins. Or make so many that the elves get pissed and you can throw him outside when they siege you later.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: April 14, 2011, 10:12:31 pm »

You let your wooden bins go off-site?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: April 15, 2011, 12:41:17 am »

I just had a moment that wasn't a facepalm for me, but for two thieves.

I'm playing the dungeon keeper mod, and got a dragon in a migrant wave. He was quickly placed into my military, and sent to defend the front entrance from two racoons. They got roasted nicely.

I look closer, and there's two thief corpses.

The firebreath killed them, without actually discovering them. I laughed for quite a while.

EDIT:
An update on my dragon soldier:
A few fires have started. No major influence yet.
He also chased another thief with my militia commander. My milita commander had to block dragonfire 4 times. There's a facepalm waiting to happen there.

EDIT 2:
I brought a ton of coal on embark, and I left it all in my wagon. One of the fires reached the wagon. Well, no more fuel. No casualties, then my game crashed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:24:35 am by major_sephiroth »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: April 15, 2011, 02:06:50 am »

Can you replicate this?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: April 15, 2011, 02:58:19 am »

I'm setting up a fort in Fortress Defense for DF 0.25. Create a danger room, buff ten soldiers to legendary shield-user and grandmaster lasher. Armor them with a new, steel analogue I created in DF version 0.12. Then, nightwing swordsmen attack.

Laughing, I send out my lashers to drive my enemies before me that I might hear the lamentations of their women.

My elite soldiers are soon all dead. The one nightwing squad that annihilated them lost only one soldier. Apparently, when material values changed between versions, the original values of steel became as soft as butter or something, because in the combat reports the nightwing blades passed right through my soldiers' armor like it wasn't there.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

major_sephiroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: April 15, 2011, 03:37:00 am »

Can you replicate this?
Well, I daresay it was ~230 rocks of Bit Coal in my wagon igniting.
My save is a bit far back, so I can't replicate it too easily. Maybe some dwarven !!SCIENCE!! is in order.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:58 am »

Apparently, when material values changed between versions, the original values of steel became as soft as butter or something,
That doesn't sound right. Can you post the steel-analogue's values?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Premium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: April 15, 2011, 05:58:07 am »

Why yes, water DOES flood faster than miners can dig.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: April 15, 2011, 07:22:17 am »

I didn't realise it, but most of my booze was gone and the only stuff still available was the booze in my jail...

A lot of my prisoners died of thirst because all of the other dwarves were drinking their alchohol.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: April 15, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »

Apparently, when material values changed between versions, the original values of steel became as soft as butter or something,

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:SAINTSILVER]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:saintsilver]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten saintsilver]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling saintsilver]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:15:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:50]
[SPEC_HEAT:1050]
[MELTING_POINT:16444]
[BOILING_POINT:18600]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[SOLID_DENSITY:18500]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:10000]
[MOLAR_MASS:84500]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1080000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:1080000]
[IMPACT_ELASTICITY:650]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1080000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:1080000]
[COMPRESSIVE_ELASTICITY:690]
[TENSILE_YIELD:160000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:240000]
[TENSILE_ELASTICITY:170]
[TORSION_YIELD:400000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:900000]
[TORSION_ELASTICITY:210]
[SHEAR_YIELD:160000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:880000]
[SHEAR_ELASTICITY:210]
[BENDING_YIELD:170000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:700000]
[BENDING_ELASTICITY:190]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]

It was meant to be better than steel, actually.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: April 15, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »

Okay so I embark inbetween 2 biomes, a freezing and non. The freezing one has a lake the non has the river. I embark and dig down into my nice little ice fortress. It's all going smoothly: I've got a room for all the starting 7 and tons of others + beds for any migrants, and a legendary dining room below the lake.
Spring passes, the lake's still frozen so I don't have to wall off and relocate out of the ice, which is amazing (even had an ice bridge, pit, and wall protecting it). Summer passes I see the occasional water puddle ???, but "Hey, Summer's just about over it won't matter."
So a few migrants come and on their way to the fort when I get the message "Autumn has arrived". The lake fort melts with everything and everyone inside it . *Face Palm*
I look around and see "The dining room survived, SCORE! ;D" ( it was hatched off). And its all sunshine and daisies until I realize the remaining non-drowning dwarves don't have a pick and can't dig down to it. *Super Face Palm*

Edit: I'd never tried anything like it before, and after rechecking apparently it was a cold biome  ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:04:28 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:47 am »

I'm in the second winter of a new fort and I'm doing so well that the outpost liaison has already arrived to offer to make my fort a barony. No thanks, perhaps later. So I was quite suprised to receive an alert that a fish dissector had gone melancholy. I looked up and down the announcements list to see if a pet had died. Nope, that wasn't it. I wanted to find the dwarf on my unit list to see what had made him unhappy but he wasn't there. Then I found him, away from my dwarfs, reported as 'friendly'. "That's new!" I thought, It does make some kind of sense, but it's a pity the game now loses the info about dwarves' friends and happiness when they go insane".

So I unpaused the game. Then I got a message that a diplomat had left unhappy and it dawned on my what had happened. I embarked in a savage freezing biome. With no reason to go out on the surface I'd barricaded up the fort for the winter... with the outpost liaison inside.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: April 16, 2011, 11:55:00 am »

Code: [Select]
[SOLID_DENSITY:18500]

It was meant to be better than steel, actually.
I need to check the raws, but the solid density looks way too low. Edit coming in a minute.
Hm. Nope, not it. What sort of material are the weapons of the enemies?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:56:49 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: April 16, 2011, 01:15:03 pm »

Okay, how about this:

I just shut down all food production. Farms are all fallow for every season, no brewing is going on, fishing and hunting labours have been deactivated. The only food-related activity is butchery and the processing of the meat into masterwork roasts, and that only because I'm busy combatting FPS loss. Why, you ask? Because I have too much food. Total food stores are currently at 12253; 803 of meat, 512 of fish, 2414 of plants, 1830 of seeds, 4238 of drink and 2456 of prepared meals and extracts. This fort is currently producing food faster than I can make space to house it, even with a third of the non-food producers dedicated to mining out new space, a third dedicated to hauling away the stone in new stockpiles, and the final third dedicated to either food hauling or barrel making.

Any suggestions for what I should do with all of this food?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: April 16, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

dump it in the magma?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 729