Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130061 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3690 on: January 22, 2011, 10:35:37 am »

He died of thirst, and I removed a wall to get his stuff.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: January 22, 2011, 12:16:08 pm »

Well, that was a crappy start to Trumpetriddled.  ::)

I didn't really like the location when I got there, and it turned out that there were nine buzzards, two sturgeons, a sea lamprey and six alligators. Lovely. Oh well, get on with it, gave designations, left my mason/engravery fellow (female, actually) near my start in case of buzzard (not that I weapons) and before anyone actually really started with the designation poor Zasit Rashrovod, expedition leader, had his head pulled off by an alligator. Poor fellow. :(

Embark, elsewhere!

Maybe a new world.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »

"Hey, when did I build that orthoclase up/down stairway?! Wth, how far does it go up? I don't remember building that!
oh nvm, it's the cursor"

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:12 am »

1) imp
2) 3 fireballs
3) many pet animals killed, depot burned, entire wood stockpile burning
4) tantrum spiral
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

eepkeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Yawner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: January 23, 2011, 07:16:24 am »

Forgetting to shut the floodgate in the farming zone long enough to flood the lower levels, where all my dwarves were sleeping soundly in their bedrooms.
Eepkeep cancels Build signature: Needs creativity

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: January 23, 2011, 10:35:36 am »

Watching an axedwarf and a speardwarf get mauled by a giant bat, when earlier in that session, a giant bat had been eaten by my camel.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »

So, I started building "bomb shelters" at some places in my fortress. You know, you are never too safe, and if a siege, or HFS, or pretty much anything destroy my military it will save the civilians. It's also like a challenge. Each bomb shelter can protect ten dwarves for something like, one season. They are simple room, not too big, with beds, tables and chairs, food, and one copper pick. I planned on making farms and water inside, too, but that would be for later. These room have magma around it and you can only go at this place with a raising bridge. The lever is inside the bomb shelter. So, in my third one, I had a mechanic who was linking the bridge, and just to make sure it worked well, I tested the thing. The mechanic pull the lever, try to go eat something... and get crushed by the raising bridge.

/facepalm.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: January 23, 2011, 04:27:06 pm »

Great idea, I will try it.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: January 23, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »

Oh, the irony. I breached HFS because of a really weird adamantine vein by accident. I would have needed that bomb shelter.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: January 23, 2011, 08:12:00 pm »

So, I started building "bomb shelters" at some places in my fortress. You know, you are never too safe, and if a siege, or HFS, or pretty much anything destroy my military it will save the civilians. It's also like a challenge. Each bomb shelter can protect ten dwarves for something like, one season. They are simple room, not too big, with beds, tables and chairs, food, and one copper pick. I planned on making farms and water inside, too, but that would be for later. These room have magma around it and you can only go at this place with a raising bridge. The lever is inside the bomb shelter. So, in my third one, I had a mechanic who was linking the bridge, and just to make sure it worked well, I tested the thing. The mechanic pull the lever, try to go eat something... and get crushed by the raising bridge.

/facepalm.

Exactly what happened to my elf a few pages back. Building levers adjacent to bridges is a bad idea, I've learned.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Noctriate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:51 am »

After numerous forts lasting a couple years, I finally figured out how to assign a broker.

I want to cry.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: January 24, 2011, 01:19:55 am »

During a siege, some gobbos got through the trap corridor, and I sent my 16 legendaries to finish them off. But then, my count, also a legendary miner and a legendary mason from the starting 7, ran past all the armoured soldiers to get some sock the gobbos had dropped. Mass-forbidding everything in the trap corridor didnt help. Then hes around the corner and decides to charge the Jabberer and Goblin Mace Lord.

First hit crushed his head.

:o

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:46 am »

Happened a long time ago, started up in a snowy area, had one dwarf digging out my cave, another chopping trees and the rest gathering plants.  Over time we ran out of crops so I let the remaining five hang by the wagon.. At the first sign of spring I get a spam of 'so and so has died" messages, turns out my wagon was parked on a pond and when it unfroze the wagon, all my supplies, and five of my seven dwarves plunged to their deaths.

I thought long and hard about continuing, I had two dwarves along with an axe and a pick, I could drain the lake to get back what was in there and then rebuild, but ultimately decided against it.

By sheer chance some time later I ended up in a similar situation (I always check now) and managed to offload everything but a few quivers before the wagon fell into the lake, live and learn :)

-MB

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: January 24, 2011, 01:44:30 am »

Happened a long time ago, started up in a snowy area, had one dwarf digging out my cave, another chopping trees and the rest gathering plants.  Over time we ran out of crops so I let the remaining five hang by the wagon.. At the first sign of spring I get a spam of 'so and so has died" messages, turns out my wagon was parked on a pond and when it unfroze the wagon, all my supplies, and five of my seven dwarves plunged to their deaths.

I thought long and hard about continuing, I had two dwarves along with an axe and a pick, I could drain the lake to get back what was in there and then rebuild, but ultimately decided against it.

By sheer chance some time later I ended up in a similar situation (I always check now) and managed to offload everything but a few quivers before the wagon fell into the lake, live and learn :)

-MB

I had thought that buildings on top of ice did not collapse when it melted?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:01 am »

Ouch. I once dug straight down into HFS and flooded it with magma taken from the nearby volcano's magma reserves. Turned out fire imps can come out of running lava. Then flooded it with water to seal it up with obsidian to stop the fire imps. The obsidian diverted the magma into my fort. Only one dwarven child survived, and was promptly killed by a skeletal gibbon.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 729