Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2144261 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3495 on: December 27, 2010, 02:50:16 pm »

Maybe sober-drunk relations are reversed for dwarfs?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: December 27, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »

for !!science!! I'm starting a water fort.

with water traps as customary  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:54 pm »

I've noticed all the accounts of how stupid dwarves are, so...

If being drunk (which dwarves are all the time) dulls the senses in humans and makes them think poorly, shouldn't it do the same to dwarves? So, in theory, if we forced our dwarves to be sober all the time (Armok save them) shouldn't they make better choices and act like their brains aren't made of the rock they dig? It's brilliant!
Well, sober dwarfs ARE slower for some reason. Also, alcohol distracts them quite a lot. I'll also add that in their world full of llamas serial killers, psychopath carps, pointy-haired bosses, unspeakable horrors of the deep, worshipers of devils who brainwash kids into fighting for them, more unspeakable horrors of the deep, fey moods and possession that very well may eat away one's brain, and the horrid diseases brought by the previous mentioned unspeakable horrors of the deep... I would also need a lot of booze to function properly.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: December 27, 2010, 11:24:41 pm »

Cleaning up after a siege, some statues lining a bridge had gotten toppled. as I was rebuilding them, I realized I'd have to lower the bridge they had been blocking access to. When the coast is clear I order the lever pulled. 3 steps before it lowers, my Legendary +5 blacksmith walks under it. *Facepalm*
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: December 28, 2010, 02:30:44 am »

Decided to start a new fort recently; figured I'd have a go at trying out water power, so I pick a site crossing a minor river.
I know the site has an aquifer, and stone will be hard to come by.
I know the surroundings are prolifically forested, and have never heard a peep from elves about what I cut down.

So why do I proceed to pile a dozen logs on the wagon and not a single rock?

(I did manage to find some siltstone, but this is definitely going to be a learning experience about How To Break Through Aquifers)

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:22 am »

Oh oh, i got a fort that got ambushed by goblins when a human caravan came along. I sent my axedwarf squad out, and they happily butched the little buggers(with no casualties! woo!), but oh what then? My computer crashed, so i lost about a season or two. I reloaded the fort, and again came the anticipated ambush. Again i happily sent my squad out. 4 casaulties, 3 seriously wounded, and 3 grief-stricken veterans. Because i forgot to make soap, the bed-ridden wounded died, sending those angst-ridden dorfs into a massive rampage throughout the fort, fully equipped in iron. Many died and I ended up abandoning the fort, damn those veterans D: (and damn this computer)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: December 28, 2010, 04:52:02 am »

I just flooded my pump stack designed to drain flooded pump stack designed to drain 3 levels of my mine flooded due to small accident with levers and floodgates. And I flooded my room filled with levers connected with my floodgates, bridges and doors. I am waiting for winter.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3502 on: December 28, 2010, 04:59:47 am »

(I did manage to find some siltstone, but this is definitely going to be a learning experience about How To Break Through Mod Out Aquifers)

Fixed :P

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:05 am »

A door was kept open because of some shit stuck in it. Directly responsible for the death of many dorfs during the last siege that would go through it instead of finding it locked and returning to safety. Following the steps of Boatmurdered, one FunŽ at a time. *facepalms*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: December 28, 2010, 09:06:55 am »

i designated huge bedroom level(for 102 dorfs) like 7 levels deep. my miners discovered underground cavern after first couple of strikes.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: December 28, 2010, 03:08:49 pm »

Built a massive above ground fort with 7 deep moat all around with 2 level z high walls.

didnt realise that when digging the moat i'd dug out a murky pool which let anyone who could swim directly past all of my defenses. God damn giant toad riders....
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: December 28, 2010, 03:19:04 pm »

Good news: a soldier gained her title. Yay!
Bad news: she was injured for unknown reasons. Several fractures. Huh, alright.
Worse news: she died of an infection one week after being diagnosed.

*FACEPALMS*

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: December 28, 2010, 05:59:52 pm »

Parsing logs yielded this:

The militia commander attacks The Elephant but He rolls away!

a freaking ELEPHANT rolls? How ... acrobatic of him.
This is hilarious. I wonder how it managed to stop once it started rolling.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This too, is hilarious. Did your troops kill the koboldigoldis?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »

Due to the caverns being inexplicably very close to the surface, Rather than dig out a fortress, I'm just building a fortress in the caverns themselves.

This is proving to be very Fun.

My medical dwarf is getting lots of practise, and my mason is getting very good at making coffins.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: December 28, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »

Urist McShootsalot is out hunting a deer. Not a zombie deer, not a skeletal deer, a regular old deer. He puts about 40 *Goblin Bone Bolts* in it, before closing in on in, only to be struck down whilst standing next to his kill. The deer is fading in and out of consciousness, having taken several crossbow bolts to the legs, having both lungs punctured, and several internal organs ruptured.

With its dying breath, the deer kicked poor Urist in the head, killing him instantly, and then slipped out of consciousness for the last time.

*facepalm*

He couldn't just wait a few seconds, could he?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 729