Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2137416 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3435 on: December 21, 2010, 02:39:03 pm »

How do I get DF for linux (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS) without wine?

Use a real operating system?

There is a Linux version for 40d at least, so no need to be rude.

TolyK, here's the development page for 40d.  A link to the Linux version is under "Download links".

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50514.0

KG

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: December 21, 2010, 04:26:03 pm »

Horse invasion kill's six *facepalm*

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: December 21, 2010, 04:32:05 pm »

Horses are unstoppable engines of death and destruction. You have no idea how lucky you were.

Also regarding the linux thing: there has been a perfectly working Linux version since 31.12 or so and it is VERY easy to find it on the bay12games.com/dwarves page.
TheJackal, what do you use? How stupid your reply was depends on the answer. If you use a more sophisticated Linux distribution and it was a discrespectful remark towards an user of the lowly Ubuntu, then you are merely a snob. If you use Windows, you're dumb. If you use Mac OS, then please kindly get the fuck out and go find a fire to horribly die in, thanks.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 21, 2010, 07:52:21 pm »

I once tried to kill them all but I decided it was too long. I had the wonderful idea of letting someone else do it.

Hint: you don't want the someone else to die over time.
Hint²: They come from the deeps.
Hint³: I am talking of letting HFS get on them.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: December 21, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »

Computer has been wonky, hence long DF hiatus.  Lately it has been deigning to turn on.  New DF version!  Hooray!  I must generate a world!!

World generation (custom params imported from .16, volcanoes that go up to eleven) takes 4-5 hours.  That can't be right...  Oh well.  Wake up in morning, have nice happy world full of good and evil, and savagery out the hoo-ha.  Find entrancing site:  Volcano, small river, sand, flux, terrifying biomes.  Lovely!

Embark.  Hear horrifying screams immediately.

The volcano is draining through the lowest level of the caverns all the way into the circus, along with a water source that may or may not be infinite.

38 cavern collapses.  Had to turn off pauses in announcements.

Then the harpies came.

This would be the most awesome embark ever, but it has to go here because my FPS won't rise above the 2-6 range.  :[
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: December 21, 2010, 11:58:00 pm »

Discovering a magma pipe and in my excitement losing 20 dwarves due to a crazy magma flood (Out of 24 dwarves)
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: December 22, 2010, 10:18:29 am »

I forgot to include an elf reference in one of my last posts, so it ended up sounding serious and mean. Instead of light-hearted and funny, I came across as a big fat jerk.

P.S I also forgot to mention that I run my own self-written OS, Lycopolis.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: December 22, 2010, 10:59:30 am »

sweet
do you distribute copies? XD
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: December 22, 2010, 02:41:09 pm »

sweet
do you distribute copies? XD

The point of having my own is mostly security based. How do I know you're not a CIA plant, hmmmm?
Or worse yet, an ELF?!?!?!?!

....I mean, sure you can have a copy. Just stand right there. Right under that grate. Don't mind the heated floors and walls. Lemme step out, then just pull that lever there for your copy!

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 22, 2010, 04:27:53 pm »

Mistaking my cursor for a moving, teleporting, unselectable orthoclase up/down stairway that I never designated for construction.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Evanissimo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: December 22, 2010, 05:34:13 pm »

My new squads name. The symmetrical busts.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: December 22, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »

Before I could stash embark goods and wall my poor doomed embark party into a hole in the hillside, a clown attacked.  Drafted everyone.  The clown broke a single paw on an untrained dog.  Not a single scratch on any dorf.  And the local antpeople in the caverns took out two more clowns.

Must find way to improve FPS.  This site is too much Fun to abandon.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3447 on: December 23, 2010, 02:31:49 am »

Mistaking my cursor for a moving, teleporting, unselectable orthoclase up/down stairway that I never designated for construction.

"why arent they using that wooden stair? Oh, it is archery target..."

/facepalm

ascii can be fun :)

Lobster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: December 23, 2010, 04:38:53 am »

I'd made an automated bridge raising defence with a lot of pressure plates(or at least I thought I had), and a Hill Giant rocks up. It runs toward my fort, runs over the pressure plates, nothing happens, I panic and order the manual lever to raise the bridge. It takes too long for anyone to pull the lever and the Hill Giant is now in my courtyard.

I soon discover why no one was pulling the lever, as moments earlier the miners has breached the caverns and troglodytes had started pouring into my fortress. They end up in dining room and the vast majority of my dwarves panic and start running up my central staircase.

The Hill Giant has now found and started fighting my pet Giant Scorpion (i feel uncharacteristically thankful to the elves for bringing me that treasure). The Scorpion gets a few good hits in and now the Giant starts to leg it straight into about 30 dwarves running up away from the troglodytes.

So now we have a few moments where I look upon the chaos too stunned to do anything. I have a huge crowd of dwarves running away from a giant, in turn running away from a scorpion. They manage to do a good 3 or 4 laps of my courtyard (while my FPS plummets) before I realise that my gate was closed, someone finally managed to pull that lever. So I finally get someone else to pull the lever and the gate lowers, the Giant limps out of my fort chased by a Scorpion.

I. Love. This. Game.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: December 23, 2010, 06:31:33 am »

I'd made an automated bridge raising defence with a lot of pressure plates(or at least I thought I had), and a Hill Giant rocks up. It runs toward my fort, runs over the pressure plates, nothing happens, I panic and order the manual lever to raise the bridge. It takes too long for anyone to pull the lever and the Hill Giant is now in my courtyard.

I soon discover why no one was pulling the lever, as moments earlier the miners has breached the caverns and troglodytes had started pouring into my fortress. They end up in dining room and the vast majority of my dwarves panic and start running up my central staircase.

The Hill Giant has now found and started fighting my pet Giant Scorpion (i feel uncharacteristically thankful to the elves for bringing me that treasure). The Scorpion gets a few good hits in and now the Giant starts to leg it straight into about 30 dwarves running up away from the troglodytes.

So now we have a few moments where I look upon the chaos too stunned to do anything. I have a huge crowd of dwarves running away from a giant, in turn running away from a scorpion. They manage to do a good 3 or 4 laps of my courtyard (while my FPS plummets) before I realise that my gate was closed, someone finally managed to pull that lever. So I finally get someone else to pull the lever and the gate lowers, the Giant limps out of my fort chased by a Scorpion.

I. Love. This. Game.

That scorpion is a HERO
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 729