Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130075 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3270 on: December 09, 2010, 12:13:07 am »

Just a minor one.

I've been making the caverns safe by caving in walls to block all the edges off. Pulling the lever for the last of the sections, part of it disappears and a few tiles of shallow water remain in the place where I should have a nice wall. So I forcequit and reload to try and figure out what's going on. Don't spot anything, so I go on with Plan B, which is the raising drawbridges. Turns out that the floor I was collapsing the wall onto was neatly lined up with the ceiling of the next cavern layer. Thing is, I already knew that cave-ins don't necessarily reveal the below terrain even if you're right on top of it, I just was not at all expecting the second layer to be right there and didn't think about it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: December 09, 2010, 01:48:37 am »

My mayor was a siege operator. I just had a liaison explode. WHY do they insist on standing directly in front of the ballista?

Because it's the best way of getting someones attention..
..Well, one of them..

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:29 am »

"Sir, please pay attention to me. Quit your f'n work and talk to me. If you continue then you will have acc*** ak! OOH! OW! yee... *dies*"
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 09, 2010, 07:20:20 pm »

So I noticed the river had frozen. Great! Now I can remove that floodgate and build in a wall so I can reclaim the mechanisms I used in building the floodgate to control my farm's irrigation!

I sent somebody to go remove the floodgate. Immediately the river thawed and flooded my fort.

*facepalm*

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: December 09, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »

Forgot in my current fortress that you had to manually assign ammunition to your military in the m-menu before they could use their crossbows the proper way.
12 years the marksdwarfs are trying to melee their targets to death. Several deaths. One lived long enough to become a hammerdwarf.

Worst part: I was not only aware of it while managing my previous fort, but I had also found that feature spontaneously. *facepaaaaaalms*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:13 pm »

Mining out a tube of cotton candy, managed to trap BOTH of my legendary miners at the bottom without a way up, and one of them is a starting 7. And so friends with half the fort. Can't WAIT for him to starve to death and start the tamtrum spiral.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 10, 2010, 12:02:01 am »

Mining out a tube of cotton candy, managed to trap BOTH of my legendary miners at the bottom without a way up, and one of them is a starting 7. And so friends with half the fort. Can't WAIT for him to starve to death and start the tamtrum spiral.

Build staircases from above?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: December 10, 2010, 01:12:19 am »

Dump food and booze down?
Build staircases from above?
This as well.

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 10, 2010, 12:28:38 pm »

Children will often walk into a danger room for no good reason.

One such child was impaled and slain in a single stab.

I was at least hoping he could provide some experience for my medics.

Babies are similarly brought in to a danger room. Not only does the spike hitting the baby deprive the mother of experience, but the mother will also never take her child to the hospital.

:facepalm:

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: December 10, 2010, 02:01:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and I just realized that I was playing .14 to boot :facepalm:
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: December 10, 2010, 04:28:22 pm »

I just got taken out by Kobolds.

Yes, freaking Kobolds.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: December 10, 2010, 09:27:46 pm »

My mayor was a siege operator. I just had a liaison explode. WHY do they insist on standing directly in front of the ballista?

not when I'm eating XD
good thing i didn't have food in my mouth

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #3282 on: December 10, 2010, 10:06:15 pm »

The trick with controling hauling stuff, is to turn off the hauling labors on dwarves you don't want getting distracted, and specialize your idle haulers once you get a set number. The reason for this, is that dwarves will claim items for hauling even if they are in the middle of a hauling job (if you have 20 idle haulers, and you need 20 stone and 20 wood hauled, you may see 10 haulers moving wood and 10 moving stone, but each wood hauler has claimed a stone for hauling and vice versa. If you set it so 10 of them are wood haulers and 10 of them stone haulers, then the woods will stick to their wood and the stones to stone).

/facplam
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: December 11, 2010, 01:44:22 am »

So, I've found 2 new things out about fluid physics in Dwarf Fortress:

1. Fluid behaves more realistically then I expected, meaning that if you channel a tunnel downwards, the horizontally, then back up one z-level, water that flows down the shaft will fill the horizontal area then travel up that one z-level.

2. A well will not stop water from overflowing and flooding your entire fortress, covering everything in mud.

Gotta build and remove floors everywhere.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: December 11, 2010, 03:00:15 am »

Kept on giving dwarves the stonecrafting skill, wondering why nobody was Engraving the Memorial slab.  ::) It's stone, right? It's at the craftsdwarf shop, right?
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 729