Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129923 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3225 on: December 03, 2010, 11:51:04 pm »

Windtunnel., sixth year in, 128 happy dwarves.

Adamantine industry going well, with militia picking up adamantine weapons and armour as they came off the anvil... FB's happily killing themselves, and the annual trog/crundle slaughter well established.

Then, to get more shiny adamantine, I decide to follow it under the lake by puncturing the magma pipe.... It sort of worked, with obsidian meaning the dwarves could get to the shiny stuff, but the draining of my surface lake, and associated defences, combined with goblin sieges and various dwarves being trapped on the wrong side with another, nastier FB....

Not good, especially with the game slowing to three FPS....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: December 04, 2010, 02:36:13 am »

I accidently caved in half my fortress by channeling one wrong tile.

A piece fell, through the two floors below it, then down onto a large section overhanging a magma pit.  The overhanging section fell, through the floor of the magma pit, this took out the key support holding up an underground keep I had built and the whole keep crumbled into nothingness, falling into the magma sea and taking 121 dwarves with it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: December 04, 2010, 02:48:02 am »

So. Is it possible to flood it with magma?

Also. Can you still mine out walls that are smoothed/fortified/engraved?
1. Yes, but it won't stop the clowns. Instead, put hatches or bridges above them, as BDs can't destroy things on different z-levels
2. Yes.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: December 04, 2010, 07:04:52 am »

A piece fell, through the two floors below it, then down onto a large section overhanging a magma pit.  The overhanging section fell, through the floor of the magma pit, this took out the key support holding up an underground keep I had built and the whole keep crumbled into nothingness, falling into the magma sea and taking 121 dwarves with it.

Oh wow, that's kind of sad, it reminds me of some futuristic lab built under sea, suspended over a giant chasm, and then the support goes and then entire team is sent plumeting into the deep...

MEGAPROJECT!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: December 04, 2010, 08:39:17 am »

Now THAT is DF. Blood for the Blood God.
This is exactly why I try to support my buildings using walls, natural or constructed. Just as good as supports, but I don't have to build a floor on top of them, and single-tile walls are still a 'pillar'.

I probably shouldn't have sent my ENTIRE militia down to kill a FB with deadly dust. I now have 30 blind soldiers.

Oblivion flashbacks. Build a chapel and two small houses over your fort and make your entrance go through the chapel's basement.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: December 04, 2010, 09:22:42 am »

...one in each head. Then it killed me.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: December 04, 2010, 03:38:21 pm »

This is Doctor UristMcScientist,  year three, day fifty-six, of the Atlantis Project. I can hear the support out there, creaking away. I don't know exactly what happened by McMechanic was out there two days ago and he's not come back. McLyemaker said she saw his body float by shorty after the crash. She was probably right. The shakes are getting faster and there is one every Urist or so now, we sounded the job cancel spam but I think they disabled it, we're going to die down here.

*The sound of a large, dull grinding comes from outside*

...that was the largest one yet *Sounds of pipes bursting and water leaking* it's going to happen soon... Armok bless us.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: December 04, 2010, 03:51:58 pm »

Oh wow, that's kind of sad, it reminds me of some futuristic lab built under sea, suspended over a giant chasm, and then the support goes and then entire team is sent plumeting into the deep...

MEGAPROJECT!
Now THAT is DF. Blood for the Blood God.
This is exactly why I try to support my buildings using walls, natural or constructed. Just as good as supports, but I don't have to build a floor on top of them, and single-tile walls are still a 'pillar'.

The best part?  I didn't even realize how bad it was at first.

I had a cave in.  One tile.  No biggie.  Unpaused.  Another collapse.  Aw damn, it took out my nice altar to Armok. 

Unpaused again.

Wut?  it froze up for 5 minutes.

Another cave-in.  Oh shit, that's my whole fortress.

Urist McSomeone has died after colliding with an obstacle / bleed to death x121.

Urist McPoorGuyWhoLostEveryoneHeKnew is stricken with melancholy!

(a while later)

Your fortress has crumbled to its end.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: December 04, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

Aw damn, it took out my nice altar to Armok. 
There's your problem right there, Armok couldn't have been very happy.

As for my own facepalm, I designated remove up stairs/ramps on the side of a small hill beneath my fortress entrance. A very short while later I was desperately trying to figure out what was preventing my dwarfs from reaching the surface. Turns out I accidentally designated my central stairway as well.

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »

All of my migrants run smack into the waves upon waves of ambushes.
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

Winged00m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: December 05, 2010, 01:26:41 am »

I came to some creepy lair to kill a spouse of shadow, who was haunting people of villages around.
She punched me in the face and my head blown into pieces.
This happened to ~4 more my heroes (even with some squad I was always headshott'd).

Then I came to her again, waiting for crushing punch. Bitten her in the throat, shaken around few times. She bled to death.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: December 05, 2010, 06:06:43 am »

Preparing for the journey I had the idea to bring lots of cow's milk along instead of food. I figured I could cheese it up and make some valuable meals while I dug everything out. Got to the site, and ordered everything from the wagon dumped underground before frostbite set in. When that was done I noticed a lot of the dwarves cleaning around the dumpsite. They had removed the frozen milk chunks from the barrels, and set them on the floor to melt.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

gasman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Word
    • View Profile
    • Rusty Spatula
« Reply #3237 on: December 05, 2010, 01:50:11 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Oh man same here for me.

I remember digging out a large room, and then sighing as I would press 'k' then I'd press right, D, right, D, right, D etc etc until i marked like 200 stones for dumping.

Then someone showed me mass dumping...  I love that man.
Wait, what?! Oh ye gods, I am so glad I walked into this discussion.
And I guess that tells my facepalm moment...
I sing of a tale of dwarven lore
Of glorious and bloody war
Of ale to be feared,
And long braided beards
On the women we all do adore.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: December 05, 2010, 01:58:08 pm »

Yes, I was fortunate enough to read this thread before encountering that situation, so I came prepared with knowledge. I owe a lot to the people who facepalmed for me.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: December 05, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »

Useing to much
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In my explosion mining system.

My fort is now a giant hole
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 729