Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130085 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3000 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:29 am »

" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: November 08, 2010, 07:40:57 am »

HAHA!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:02 am »

HAHA!

HAHAHA!

Back to facepalmity:

Anytime I did not check for goblin availability on the site, and build extensive defenses preparing for sieges that will never come.

Yes, this used to happen a lot before I learned the lesson.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:09:56 am by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: November 08, 2010, 09:35:47 am »

oh, and how would you do that  :-\

anyways I sometimes did the same thing with the marksdwarves, only with the kill command... much more Fun.

*Recent news*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: November 08, 2010, 09:41:11 am »

oh, and how would you do that  :-\

[...]

If that's a question, then press Tab when you are on the site choosing screen. It will shift between a few modes, one of them being civilization availability. Goblins are marked with a -------, which helps to see if they will attack you or not easily.

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: November 08, 2010, 10:37:52 am »

I just discovered that platinum crafts are 1000x more valuable than stone crafts. I wonder why I ever bothered with stone crafts as trade goods.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: November 08, 2010, 10:43:39 am »

excuse me guys, something is puzzling me. why was this thread stickied? :\

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: November 08, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »

excuse me guys, something is puzzling me. why was this thread stickied? :\

Well... other than dwarfs being a constant producer of face palms...

A couple useful and interesting tips have surfaced here and there on this thread.

My moment is probably a rather common one...  I was playing adventure mode and was practicing swimming when a lonely fish swam by... so I killed it... but then... Lots... and lots of fish started appearing at the edge of my sight... and they started attacking me and I attacked back... but ultimately I got killed. The river ran red that day.

I realized that fish could be very dangerous even if they aren't as strong as the fabled carp of olde...

A fortress moment would be when I practiced building a tower.  Despite the obvious possible errors, nothing went wrong and I was happy. Until I started getting messages... Dwarven Child has died of hunger... War Elephant has died of thirst...

I was like... what?  I start to investigate the mystery.  And found a couple corpses and a handful of dying children and elephants on top of the tower.  My only thought is they sneaked up there while I was removing the scaffolding.  But why only children and elephants, I have no idea.  They had no reason to be up there. I only had one reaction. :facepalm:
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: November 08, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »

Well... They're both types of pet, right? :P
Musta followed your workers up there, who didn't miss an opportunity to get rid of them.

EDIT: Another facepalm... I just found one of my injured dwarves, yes, the one with the guts popped out.
She wasn't in the hospital. She's crawling along planting fields, with intestines trailing along behind her.
My medic dwarves really aren't doing their jobs well... *facepalm*
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:30:46 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: November 08, 2010, 05:45:11 pm »

Urist (yes, his name actually was Urist this time) got a strange mood and demanded cloth, stone blocks, bone, and wood. I got him his stuff, wondering how they'd be used together.

I ended up with a mule bone gauntlet. Nothing special about it whatsoever, no images, no spikes, nothing.

What I want to know is what on earth happened to the wood, stone and cloth.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: November 08, 2010, 05:48:17 pm »

I read that bone artifacts are bugged, their decorations always disappear. :( I got one too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: November 08, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »

Urist (yes, his name actually was Urist this time) got a strange mood and demanded cloth, stone blocks, bone, and wood. I got him his stuff, wondering how they'd be used together.

I ended up with a mule bone gauntlet. Nothing special about it whatsoever, no images, no spikes, nothing.

I read that bone artifacts are bugged, their decorations always disappear. :( I got one too.

Had this happen quite a lot. Just like now: a dorf got posessed and snagged my crafts workshop right when I was frantically making stuff to get seeds off the elves (they're nice to me again despite the horrible deforestation of the map) and demanded two units of bone and one of cloth. I had to butcher a donkey and a mule to get him what he wanted, and all I got was an undecorated bone bin worth less than some of the stuff made outside of moods. Probably the posessors took the rest of the stuff away.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: November 08, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »

Had this happen quite a lot. Just like now: a dorf got posessed and snagged my crafts workshop right when I was frantically making stuff to get seeds off the elves (they're nice to me again despite the horrible deforestation of the map) and demanded two units of bone and one of cloth. I had to butcher a donkey and a mule to get him what he wanted, and all I got was an undecorated bone bin worth less than some of the stuff made outside of moods. Probably the posessors took the rest of the stuff away.

Ah, it's not his fault, then? I guess somebody else will get the job of inspecting the dark, forboding downward passage to see if there are any eldritch horrors waiting to visit their wrath on any dwarf unfortunate enough to stumble upon it.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: November 08, 2010, 06:15:57 pm »

Musta followed your workers up there, who didn't miss an opportunity to get rid of them.

EDIT: Another facepalm... I just found one of my injured dwarves, yes, the one with the guts popped out.
She wasn't in the hospital. She's crawling along planting fields, with intestines trailing along behind her.
Actually, I've had a simmilar bug.  I think Toady probably put it in so that dwarves stop becoming invalids, and just go back to work if they don't get treatment after a while.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: November 08, 2010, 07:04:55 pm »

My expedition leader got kicked by a wild horse a few years ago, and has been running around ever since with bones sticking out of his arm like nothing is wrong.  He was infected for a while, but that went away.  I'm not sure if I should put him on military duty in the hopes he gets slightly more hurt and actually fixed, or if I should hide him away.

Also, it seems that nobody's wounds heal, though that could just be nervous wounds that don't heal.  Hmmm.

Edit: no, it seems to be that almost none of the wounds are healing.  I wonder why.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:13:19 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 729