Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129961 times)

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2970 on: November 05, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »

'Nother face palm moment here, my Mayor wanted, and I quote, 3 SLADE doors, so I panicked and thought it was slate, so, I dug into the caverns, killed 20/35 of my dwarfs due to fishmen, then saw it was SLADE doors, lets say, he got killed, horribly the special treatment my ELVES get from me... 
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: November 05, 2010, 04:01:13 pm »

My Recent fortress happen to be under a mountain, and all the good ores were at the very very top.

I had about 6 Legendary miners so they were pretty quick mining, so I have been clearing out big masses of rock at a time.

At the same time I had a trading Caravan come up to my fortress, i noticed the game paused. I looked at the announcments, and to my awe and wonder a multitude of dwarfs have been crushed and killed. "A Cave in?! How?" i thought to myself.

I zoomed to where the dwarfs died, and I discovered that I cleared an entire floor at the peak of the mountain, so when they finished clearing the rocks... well... all my miners got killed + a ton more who where grabbing iron ore are storing it.

* mnjiman palm
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: November 05, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

Just found out that two of my marksdwarves have apparently spent the last 2 years splitting apart stacks of food and claiming it for themselves. Now half the food in the fortress is owned by two dwarves and inedible by anyone else.
Hopefully starving them to death will release their ownership of the food.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: November 05, 2010, 09:57:54 pm »

Just found out that two of my marksdwarves have apparently spent the last 2 years splitting apart stacks of food and claiming it for themselves. Now half the food in the fortress is owned by two dwarves and inedible by anyone else.

If I recall correctly, once it has been claimed, it won't be reverted back, unless you have the dwarven economy running (tax collector will un-claim stuff owned if they can't afford it, but good luck with getting that running in 31.xx, read this). Your best bet is to make sure they aren't carrying any backpacks (for rations, which is one reason they are claiming food and dropping it, most likely) and that they have time to go eat (this is the other reason they are claiming all that food, no time to eat, scheduling them some downtime is always good, allows them to drink, eat and sleep, I suggest 2 months training and 1-2 months bumming/working at other jobs)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »

As long as the marksdwarves have no tombs or family, the food will indeed be freed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:10 am »

As long as the marksdwarves have no tombs or family, the food will indeed be freed.

Of course, you can "speed up" the process a little, have them both in a different squad, no uniform, remove all equipment from them, drop them in the caverns to play with the batmen, or use them as the front lines in the defense against sieges :)

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: November 06, 2010, 08:21:28 am »

You don't have to manually assign every dwarf a bed. Just designate it and when they want one, they'll claim it

/facepalm
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: November 06, 2010, 11:16:03 am »

Well, actually I've seen a bug with the bed thing, Toady might have fixed it by now though.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: November 06, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »

Well, actually I've seen a bug with the bed thing, Toady might have fixed it by now though.

There was a point where dorfs would just sleep in the nearest bed, which meant then never slept in a free room to claim it (and would sleep in the barracks even when they had a room) but it appears to be fixed in 31.16
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: November 06, 2010, 01:57:42 pm »

There was a point where dorfs would just sleep in the nearest bed, which meant then never slept in a free room to claim it (and would sleep in the barracks even when they had a room) but it appears to be fixed in 31.16

IIRC, the bug was present in 31.12. Which is also the last version supporting Dwarf Therapist, as far as I know. No wonder people still suffer from it.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: November 06, 2010, 02:08:10 pm »

IIRC, the bug was present in 31.12. Which is also the last version supporting Dwarf Therapist, as far as I know. No wonder people still suffer from it.
DT now has support 0.31.16.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: November 06, 2010, 02:10:10 pm »

DT now has support 0.31.16.

Whee! Taking a two day long break and so much stuff happens. Thanks! Maybe it was made earlier than that, but I didn't know anyway.

Constitutes a facepalm moment for me, since I hate to display wrong data.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

ET

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: November 06, 2010, 03:50:29 pm »

About a year ago in my first fort I didn't realise there was a Z-axis then migrants appeared on a different level. I spent about 10 minutes looking for my dwarfs. Then I looked in the readme and saw that if I pressed question mark I could look at help. Then finally realised there was a third dimension.

I felt really stupid.

Also it wasn't until my second game I realised farming existed and that I didn't have to rely on gathering plants

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: November 06, 2010, 06:01:49 pm »

Forgot to change raws so cats didn't have a body temp of 99910070. Fire made my dwarves bleed to death?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: November 06, 2010, 06:04:06 pm »

Forgot to change raws so cats didn't have a body temp of 99910070. Fire made my dwarves bleed to death?

It wasn't the fire.
It was the GIANT SHOCKWAVE OF THE THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION!! It crushed them against the ground and trees and their equipment and even themselves!
Every instance of a thermonuclear catsplosion is awesome by default. Regardless of the results. No, especially because of the results.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 729