Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136993 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2880 on: October 23, 2010, 08:09:47 am »

"Why the fuck is my miner not cutting down trees?"
*Checks tools*
*Sees that I don't have an Ax*
"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"
*All dwarfs get eaten by wolfs over night.*
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: October 23, 2010, 01:58:10 pm »

"Why the fuck is my miner not cutting down trees?"

Because he's a miner?  :D
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: October 23, 2010, 02:05:27 pm »

My first one was a classic : The First Cavein.
31.03, I was reshaping the cliff face around my first fortress entrance. There were some floor tiles left after I mined the stone underneath, so I decided to try my hand at some directed cave-in by clipping them from the cliff.
I was careful not to let my miner work on the doomed tiles, and I made sure no-one was under the cliff.
REAL carefull!

"Here it goes! Woah, that's a lot of dust, here. Fortunately, nobody was nearby!"
"Uh, what are those purple announcements that keep appearing? And why is there a hole at ground zero?"

Z+1 : Cliff face, and a very proud miner.
Z (Entrance level) : Bottom of the cliff near the entrance, 5 tiles hole in the ground
Z-1 (Warehouse level) : Devastated booze supply, big hole right in the middle, A few shocked survivors trying to get to their feet, and to find their friends and more importantly, the beer.
Z-2 (City level) : My carpenter's bedroom. Bits of carpenter and bits of dog strewn about, while beer, stawberry wine, and dwarf blood are trickling from the hole right over the bed.

Bottom line : 4 dead dwarves out of 15 (including starting seven carpenter and planter), 1 dog, and 90% of my booze supply gone

/Facepalm/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:11:31 pm by kardwill »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: October 23, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

What a coincidence, I also just had my first cavein. Completely by accident; no idea how it happened. The dorf serving as my avatar ended up several levels into the caverns. I mean, parts of my dorf. It took months for the rest of the fort to safely bring back everything into a tomb.
No, wait, actually, that wasn't exactly the facepalm-worthy event.
The real one is when I tried intentionally making one afterwards in order to dig my garbage pit a lot faster.
Well, that worked.
Things didn't work out as well for the miner, but at least, he fell a shorter distance, stayed in one piece, and it took him a few seconds to die post-impact. So yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to do that. I'm not sure why.

Potential next facepalm moment: I'm planning to flood the caverns. For science. There's no way it is going to end well, but I still want to do it.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: October 23, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »

I had my first cave-in recently as well.
Almost killed a legendary miner, and did kill a new migrant miner.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: October 23, 2010, 06:00:55 pm »

Give Urist McJobless the cooking labor?

Huh. Could have sworn that building a workshop required Novice+ skill in the associated labor. Just tested that on a fishery, and apparently I was wrong. Was this the case pre-2010, or have I been loading my embark profiles down with uneccessary skills the whole time?

(Turns out I did have a cook, so the point is moot.)

And the fresh facepalm? I noticed that there were quite a few decent rock outcroppings at the bottom of the hill I embarked on. No need to cross the river after all. (I'm doing it anyway.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: October 23, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »

Considering that I actually managed to get a no-skills, no-equipment except the wagon fort going on multiple occasions in 40d, this has always been the case that you don't need skills to build workshops.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: October 23, 2010, 09:36:31 pm »

I just realized how much havoc Blizzard Men can cause.

It killed off 4 of my 20 dwarves, including the expedition leader and militia commander. All with a <cave spider silk dress>.

I guess that's what I get for sending green, unequipped militia against a monster.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

neil_v

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: October 23, 2010, 10:43:24 pm »

When my wife was just starting into playing this game, It was maybe her 4th fortress. She embarks and makes designations, zones, and stockpiles. Then she unpauses the game and watches her miners mine out a nice cliff face while a giant mole steals ALL her supplies, EVERYTHING!!!.  I facepalmed.
She gets the situation under control (re-made everything, and restocked), and in the second year a goblin ambush comes and kills everyone. They even hunted down every single dog and cat before killing the last dwarf.

---
I built a large walled fort with a large moat around its entire circumference. I didnt have a mechanized draw bridge accessing the fort, but a carved bridge bristling with traps across a chasm 10 or so Z levels deep...
The traps were getting cluttered with body parts from goblins, raccoons, foxes, and deer, and my dwarves were too busy to haul body parts all day... SO, I had the bright idea of creating a cistern above the carved bridge with a mechanized bridge at the base of the cistern to release water onto the carved bridge underneath, thereby washing all the bodies and limbs into the chasm where I had access to the bottom from the inside of the fort.... Bear with me now....   
I had a talented marksman as a hunter, he had 2 war dogs assigned to him. These guys were awesome killing machines that usually offed snatchers and raiders long before they reached the trapped bridge...
I finally got the cistern filled to 6 deep with water, and I wanted to test it. I checked the bridge under the cistern for friendlies, and the surrounding area, but saw no one. I order the lever pulled, and I see that my much loved hunter is coming back to restock his ammo.... Hes too far away and I can see the guy who's going to pull the lever almost adjacent the lever. No worries, the timing is right I think.
Dwarf pulls the lever, YAY it worked!, the bridge is clear of clutter.
I go the the bottom of the chasm to see the product of my handy work, only to see a war dog that had been accidentally washed off in the process. Its only a war dog, the fact is got hurt sucks, but a least its not a dwarf. I check its injuries, and sadly I find its entire lower body is crushed to a pulp. The War dog doesn't die, it pulls itself around sadly in amongst the limbs and corpses of countless others for a month before I decide Its not going to die on its own, and no one is going to tend to it. It needs to be put out of its misery. I order it slaughtered and butchered (which I didn't think you could do with war animals, but apparently you could at the time, 31.12 I think). Not to long Later I check my Dwarf Therapist, and I see my hunter is Miserable. What the heck, 'It must have been his war dog', I think to my self. So I check out my hunters status... I like to have butchery and tanning activated on my hunters, because it seems only right...
Apparently he had been the only butcher available... He had dragged his horribly mangled pet up from the chasm, slaughtered it and butchered it. And moved the corpse and hide to the refuse pile. It said in his thoughts:
"He had to watch a beloved pet rot"...
Wow... I'm the worst kind of person...

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: October 23, 2010, 10:46:27 pm »

Give Urist McJobless the cooking labor?

Huh. Could have sworn that building a workshop required Novice+ skill in the associated labor. Just tested that on a fishery, and apparently I was wrong. Was this the case pre-2010, or have I been loading my embark profiles down with uneccessary skills the whole time?

(Turns out I did have a cook, so the point is moot.)

And the fresh facepalm? I noticed that there were quite a few decent rock outcroppings at the bottom of the hill I embarked on. No need to cross the river after all. (I'm doing it anyway.)

Anyone with the skill enabled can build a workshop.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

wad67

• Bay Watcher
  • HI :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: October 23, 2010, 10:47:08 pm »

When i figured out that you could dig underground, and that there were multiple levels.
YAY!

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: October 24, 2010, 02:24:10 am »

When i figured out that you could dig underground, and that there were multiple levels.

Wait till you hit the Cotton Candy and the Clown Car  ;D

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: October 24, 2010, 10:16:24 am »

When I embarked on my current site, it was covered in snow. When I built my depot, one tile of it was buitl over ice I didn't see because of teh ice. That biome melts for a month in midsummer. I didn't notice the lack of depot until merchants showed urp.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: October 24, 2010, 11:21:16 am »

Since theres been a bit of a cave-in trend on this page...

My first cave-in.

Decided the mountain just 15 tiles south of my cliff-face entrance is really blocking the wonderful view from the windows built into the cliff above the tunnel.

Sent out a pair of legendary+5 miners and ordered them to dig out the entirety of the top layer of the mountain.  cave-in predictably ensues and my miners are sent sprawling though both survive.  Confused a little at why the top z-level should collapse yet reassured by lack of injuries i decide cave-ins are nifty but harmless and order the digging of the next layer down........2 dead McLegendarys.

Head to wiki and learn about 'floors' between levels left over by dig commands
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: October 24, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »

When digging outside, I find it easier to instead of DIGGING the stone/soil, I turn it into a RAMP and then remove the ramp...

Been using this method for a LONG time.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 729