Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129890 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2745 on: October 06, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

he's in the hospital now too being worked at by Urist MCcrazydoc (grizzly bear did less damage than llama somehow)

There seems to be an inverse danger system in dwarf fortress, animals that look less harmful do more damage than dangerous looking ones. Seen this on many occasions.

quite ..esp. llamas are dangerous ... my first miner was trampled to death by one that passed him while he was sleeping outside  in the early building stages (wonder how they manage to carve a mile deep into sandy environment .. with foodstocks and all being carried after them .. but then after eating walk outside to sleep there)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:46:23 pm by schussel »

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: October 06, 2010, 10:47:50 pm »

For awhile I was oblivious to the mass forbid/dump/melt features; I spent more time with the game paused after a siege marking stuff than the siege lasted.

This minus the siege :\

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: October 07, 2010, 12:17:07 am »

Crundles from the bottom, Giant from outside -

Quick, I'll flick both levers in the dining room that connect to the two bridges outside. That will delay the Giant while I install more traps in the caverns.

Only one bridge moves.  Crundles and Giant all caught in cages, and forming a nice zoo.  Go back and toggle both levers a few times - one controls a bridge;  what does the other do? :o

Message - baby McDwarf has bled to death.  Why is there magma in my living quarters? WTF?

Oh sh*t - the floodgate holding back the magma under my forges.  Magma-proof floodgate, but not mechanism.  Watch the flood fill up the fort slowly, and vow never to leave a dangerous lever unlabelled next to a functional one.... :-[

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: October 07, 2010, 01:16:41 am »

Crundles from the bottom, Giant from outside -

Quick, I'll flick both levers in the dining room that connect to the two bridges outside. That will delay the Giant while I install more traps in the caverns.

Only one bridge moves.  Crundles and Giant all caught in cages, and forming a nice zoo.  Go back and toggle both levers a few times - one controls a bridge;  what does the other do? :o

Message - baby McDwarf has bled to death.  Why is there magma in my living quarters? WTF?

Oh sh*t - the floodgate holding back the magma under my forges.  Magma-proof floodgate, but not mechanism.  Watch the flood fill up the fort slowly, and vow never to leave a dangerous lever unlabelled next to a functional one.... :-[

Dwarven regulatory code 15 A paragraph 20: 
All self-destruct levers shal be labeled as such, separated by a large distance of at least one hundred feet from any non self-destruct levers, under penalty of death by magma.  In addition, all non self-destruct levers should also be clearly labeled, under penalty of the Hammerer.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: October 07, 2010, 11:00:45 am »

mh why do i find that my forges never overflow ...

i normally tap volcanos far below the magma surface with just fortifications and a grate in the magma moat .. it never overflows even if i dont shut it when filled^^

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: October 07, 2010, 01:25:07 pm »

Ugh.

These... stupid dorfs...

I have spent the last year finishing my 15x15 danger room.

And a tantruming dwarf just knocked over the lever that all the spears were connected to. Mechanisms everywhere.

As soon as I think of a suitable punishment for this idiot he will die.

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: October 07, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »

quite ..esp. llamas are dangerous ... my first miner was trampled to death by one that passed him while he was sleeping outside  in the early building stages (wonder how they manage to carve a mile deep into sandy environment .. with foodstocks and all being carried after them .. but then after eating walk outside to sleep there)

You did remember to put a meeting zone with "i" indoors even when no meeting hall is there, right? The embark caravan spot is a intermediate meeting otherwise...

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: October 07, 2010, 01:32:56 pm »

Why do I keep forgetting to watch what the masons are doing?

Someone tried to build a wall that was supported by nothing but a drawbridge - and those don't support constructions anyway.

The resulting cave-in killed a mason, wiped out a food stockpile and caused some general chaos.

Damn.
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

rogueleader25

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: October 07, 2010, 05:07:05 pm »

I locked my military dwarves into my main barracks when a dragon showed up so that it would first walk into my flood chamber. 

Instead, one of my swordsdwarfs in full steel (and attached to a copper short sword) ran out and hacked the dragon to pieces.

I then paused the game to go afk (or so I thought), only to come back with 4/5ths of my military having starved to death.

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:03 pm »

Step 1: I made a world in .14
Step 2: I played a good 4 years on it with lots of created wealth and stuff, but no military since there was no siege or ambush. I had created far over 100 000 wealth amongst other things.
Step 3: I updated to .16
Step 4: I'll let you guess.
Step 5:I made a new fortress in .16........

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:29 pm »

Invasions back on?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

newguy12354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: October 07, 2010, 10:24:30 pm »

Of course and 30 or so gobs decided my fortress was ready for a little beating.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: October 08, 2010, 12:16:00 am »

I tunnelled down and found a cave with a volcano half-way to the surface. wanting to put a whole bunch of magma forges and such on its banks, I decided, "I'll just flood the cave with water and the top will turn to obsidian and I can have all the roo I could ever want. well I tunneled to a river and luckily had the forethought to put of floodgates. then I dug a deep channel spanning multiple floors so that it would fall right into the center of the magma. it was a mistake obviously because every couple seconds for the next two hours the game would pause and "A section of cavern has callapsed!" would appear.

Oh, and not to mention this time that I got too many nobles in the newer version. i was a noob and I was getting tired of them so I took this recently trapped black bear and put it in his room, hooked it up to a lever and waited. when he went to sleep, I locked him in and pulled the lever. watching the bear maul the mayor was fun. it wasn't so fun when I realised I forgot to lock the door for pets too.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:32:43 am by Terrahex »
What do you think? Yes? No?

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: October 08, 2010, 07:45:01 am »

I made the biggest mistake ever.

Basically here's what happened:
I was building a moat, a 3 z-level down moat, good idea yeah... but i forgot to mention the fact that my expedition leader was conducting a meeting at the bottom of it with a diplomat when i decided to flood it from the brook, of course i only realized a few seconds later this mighty problem.I watched helplessly as he ran from the tower of 3 z-level 7/7 water. He broke several ribs, lost an arm, a leg and broke the other leg, yet... he was still running with his broken leg attached... from the tsunami. Since he was a legendary miner i figured, well... if you can dwarfy dig this route out... of course, it didnt happen.
 He happened upon a corner in the moat. He was a cornered rat, this Degel Endokmognang. When it crashed down on him, he struggled for 2minutes and then died. Apparently the other diplomats left unhappy.

What a fail moment in my history. I killed my expedition leader and my only legendary miner (this is at population of 20ish). Oh and by the way, I'm proud of this mistake, I just made enemies with elves, and thats always good.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:46:39 am by shadowzfire »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: October 08, 2010, 07:46:55 am »

it was a mistake obviously because every couple seconds for the next two hours the game would pause and "A section of cavern has callapsed!" would appear.
I did this once on purpose seeing to see whether natural obsidian will pile up on semi-molten rock, and to prevent the pauses I changed the line
Code: [Select]
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]to
Code: [Select]
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:R]It worked.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 729