Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129850 times)

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2595 on: September 18, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »

Okay this wasn't really my fault buuuut... After about 2 solid hours of work on a fortress, a pretty good migrant wave, and 2 caravans, the game crashed when I tried to designate a meeting hall. I was so amazingly PO'd that I rebooted the game just so I could abandon the fortress. My best fortress ever too...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: September 18, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »

I leave my dwarves alone for a minute to get a sandwich, and when I get back, there's a voracious cave crawler (score) inmy only cage trap. This cage trap is in my surface entrance. This thing managed to get past the whole fort only to become my puppet. That's not (quite) the facepalm.

The actual facepalm is Silkfloods the Untrustworthy Fire, the jabberer that came up with it and currently has 10 kills to its name. Out of a fortress of 17 dwarves. Also, my mason may be the smartest dwarf ever - he's chasing it with a chunk of diorite in his hands that will probably help a fair bit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: September 18, 2010, 10:24:39 pm »

I built an immense series of screw pumps, windmills, and assorted machinery to bring up magma from the magma sea on a non-edited map and accidentally had a wood block somewhere in there.

"Non-edited Map"? There's a Map Editor?

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: September 19, 2010, 01:50:14 am »

I built an immense series of screw pumps, windmills, and assorted machinery to bring up magma from the magma sea on a non-edited map and accidentally had a wood block somewhere in there.

"Non-edited Map"? There's a Map Editor?

I meant like... "Generate new world now!" as opposed to using parameters to, say, put the magma sea on z-level -8.

Look, just think of it as a 100+ z-level pump stack.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: September 19, 2010, 02:06:12 am »

Not to mention turning temp off in the init.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: September 19, 2010, 05:40:06 am »

Had a near miss last night. I'm building an aqueduct and have a 3 level pump stack. The wall for the duct is half finished so there are a few gaps. I'm building it from a brook and everything was going fine. I told my dwarves to finish the windmill and all of a sudden I see a rain of water and dwarves falling from my aqueduct. They were being pushed through (or jumping from) the gaps in my walls. Turns out you DON'T need to channel a brook tile to suck water out of it.

So yeah, the dwarves were running and falling everywhere like lemons and I didn't hook the damn thing up to a lever to turn it off. The water by this point was starting to flow down my entrance and flood my fort.

My last resort - send a guy to deconstruct the windmill. About twelve dwarves tried and gave up on the steps due to dangerous terrain until one guy battled hard against the torrents and took the thing down. Crisis averted. Just. Lost my lowest floor though, gonna have to pump it out.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:59 am »

Crowning moment of awesome, right there. It's that sort of thing that make me excited about the idea of being able to commission specific works from craters or masons; you'd be able to mint commemorative coins with depictions of Urist McWindmillDeconstructor fighting through the waters.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: September 19, 2010, 06:41:33 am »

Ah I'd like that. I built the man a tomb with a windmill in it to commemorate his achievement. The best bit was it was only about 3 flights he had to climb and it took ages because he kept getting pushed down. Managed to pump the water out of my lower level now so everything's back to normal, apart from an unarmed goblin master theif took out two of my recruits. Ah the joy.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »

This is a marble statue of a dwarf and a windmill. The dwarf is deconstructing the windmill. The statue refers to the deconstruction of Windmill by Urist McWet.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: September 19, 2010, 05:18:42 pm »

I just realized that I'm not getting any immigrants because my home civ is too small...

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »

This is a marble statue of a dwarf and a windmill. The dwarf is deconstructing the windmill. The statue refers to the deconstruction of Windmill by Urist McWet.

Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of Urist McAwesome the dwarf and a piece of cheese.  Urist is being pushed down stairs by water.  A windmill is turning.  The cheese is in a fetal position.  The image relates to the attempted deconstruction of the windmill by the dwarf Urist McAwesome during the failed engineering project in DorfusFortus in the early summer of 1053.

EDIT:
It wouldn't be a Dwarven masterpiece without something randomly unrelated on there, like cheese or socks.

Cheese in a fetal position. Yes, I went there
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:31:03 pm by ZhangC1459 »

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: September 19, 2010, 06:22:34 pm »

It wouldn't be a Dwarven masterpiece without something randomly unrelated on there, like cheese or socks.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Gamegeneral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Unblogical Opinion
« Reply #2607 on: September 19, 2010, 07:47:11 pm »

At first I wondered where my mayor went.
I later realized that I must have glazed over when I received the message that one of my dwarves had "loosed a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!"

2+2=Facepalmchuckle
Gamegeneral cancels Forum Post: Went insane

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: September 19, 2010, 08:48:19 pm »

After around 10 hours of work making a gigantic pressurized lava cannon that involved building a 12x12 reservoir 8 levels high, 22 pumps, and a power supply in a place that wouldn't get flooded with lava, it was finally finished. Right on time, as a 3 squad ambush just cut up a bunch of elves right outside my fortress. Then I realized that my power grid was 8 short of powering the pumps, and that there was no way for me to add another windmill without getting massacred by gobbos. :'(

I did build it successfully on my second try though. And it was glorious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:33 pm »

You did almost the exact same thing I"ve just been doing.  Fuck yeah, hiveminds
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 729