Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130103 times)

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2460 on: August 29, 2010, 05:35:34 pm »

My hunter was sent out to find food.  He found a groundhog.
There proceeded to be an epic 12 page battle between him and this ground hog.  A real, nail biting, rip-roaring, slug out with my dwarf... and a groundhog.
It lasted until I had my military come and wipe the floor with the rodent, but the hunter is still recovering from his brush with fuzzy death.
I'm not sure if I should have saved him.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #2461 on: August 29, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »

Ugh. I'm making an above ground fortress by flooding premade shells with magma\water. I forgot to place hatches on the topmost level of my central staircase and hilarity ensued when the magma began to flood the main dining room. Cue a third of my population running around with the fat melting off their bodies.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:52 am »

Well, I thought I could get an easy well by channeling into a tile I knew was aquifer. I forgot that if the aquifer is on the same level as the channel designation, it will still flow out instead of just into the channel. First facepalm.

Then, I tried to stop it with magma from the nearby volcano to salvage my mines. I now have a central staircase that is flooded with either water, magma, or is blocked with obsidian. Second facepalm.

Aquifers explode water.  They are piņatas of fort-flooding.  :[
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »

during a mini-siege, where all of my hunters got killed off. I sent all my war elephants out, leaving the fortress ungaurded from the now tantruming dwarf miner. I watched the fortress die in 3 minuts.  :'(
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:17 am »

Oh i feel so dumb: i had a roof of my mountain designated to be  channeled out(6x6) and there were 6 dwarfs on the roof and they had dug out all the tiles connecting to ground so that the roof fell with the 6 dwarfs(including my best hunter,miner and my only clerk/expdition leader and my best warrior) and they fell onto my massive 7x7 bridge, destroying it and falling on 2 other of my bridges,destroying them too(which had my 2 brewers and another miner as well as 2 dogs, my only cat and 3 cows) then destroying 5 layers and taking out the floor i had made to keep out the 3 forgotten beasts that were waiting under it(they could fly)....needless to say that was the worst mistake i have ever made...maybe smaller bridges and thinking about what i dig out would have saved my fortress.
oh and i had 4 other soldiers who had only just begun training and they were the first to die by the forgotten beasts.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: August 31, 2010, 04:30:29 am »

Dwarves smash bridges when falling on them from a height?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: August 31, 2010, 04:33:37 am »

Dwarves smash bridges when falling on them from a height?

Cave-ins smash bridges. The dwarves just happened to be on top of one.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: August 31, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »

Signed up just to tell you about the death of my miner, one of the first seven.

This was my first fortress where I was actually doing cool projects... Including a drowning chamber. I made a chamber with hatches at the bottom and some floodgates so I could easily drain the room. I even had pumps that would pump all the water back to the surface and dump them back into the ocean, where I would get the water. The pump was at -3 z or something, so I had to make a small pump stack.

Anyway, everything seemed done, I couldn't think of a single thing that could go wrong. Cue my miner tapping the wall and in a single frame, THE ENTIRE ROOM FLOODS. A small lag spike, and suddenly everything is 7/7. Including the tile my miner was standing in. This makes sense, since if you really tapped the ocean beneath sea level there'd be a lot of pressure too, but, since when does Dwarf Fortress make sense? I was expecting it to be just like tapping a brook or river...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: August 31, 2010, 05:48:52 pm »

Urist McMiner cancels Dig: Can Hear the Ocean

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:39 pm »

My weaponsmith is posessed, he's made two masterpiece weapons...
I know, this will not go over well, especially since my greed will make me want to sell those to traders.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Ishamoridin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:38 pm »

You can't sell Artifacts ;)

Just make sure they're not stolen by kobolds!

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: August 31, 2010, 11:35:24 pm »

Oh wait, dolomite is a flux stone isn't it.  And here I was for four years thinking I didn't have any flux.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 01, 2010, 01:49:35 am »

Oh wait, dolomite is a flux stone isn't it.  And here I was for four years thinking I didn't have any flux.
Not just a flux stone, but (if you're in 31.x) a magma safe flux stone.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 01, 2010, 02:12:27 am »

Not just a flux stone, but (if you're in 31.x) a magma safe flux stone.
I'd noticed it was magma-safe (and not only that, but so magma-safe that not even fire snakes can touch it), but had completely failed to notice it was flux.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

nucleus222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:05 am »

Didnt plan my channeling right and managed to severly injure my 3 legendary miners and one of the novices.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 729