Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129922 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2415 on: August 22, 2010, 09:41:14 pm »

They're not hard to mod into the raws.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: August 22, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »

So, I genned a world with no cavern layers... my civilization has no access to any subterranean plants; no plump helmet, no sweet pods, no tower cap, no rock nuts...

and, of course, no above ground plants either.

At that point, I just gave half my dorfs herbalism, bought extra axes, and brought along leather to make bags for seeds, because it's time for a surprise above ground fortress!
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 23, 2010, 01:26:40 am »

Do we get to have those?

You can trade for them, if I remember correctly. Humans have them? I think?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: August 23, 2010, 06:31:41 am »

I've certainly had migrants arrive with Lasher skill.

But then, I've also had them arrive with Pikeman skill, and they can't use anything in the Pike category without modding a dwarf-sized one in, so yeah...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: August 23, 2010, 06:51:12 am »

I built a massive defense to stop all intruders, then dug underneath my fortress and found two forgotten beasts in a short period of time. The first one got chopped in half instantly by my badass axedwarf, the second instantly murdered said axedwarf and proceeded to systematically murder 200 dwarves because I had no defense underneath my fortress..
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

newto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: August 23, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »

It's truly amazing how such small mistakes can snowball completely out of control.

For some reason, my goblin sieges always seem to start just as my caravans are are getting in, and this was no exception. Normally I don't care, the humans and elves don't have anything I need, but this was a dwarven caravan carrying much needed flux stones, as well as coal and lignite (I have magma forges, but I don't like cutting down trees to make fuel).

I have designed my main entrance so that there is a passage from the outside to the inside that I can seal on each end with drawbridges, and the trade depot is off to the side of this passage, separated by retractable bridge. Above is the standard chamber of magma with multiple hatches to dump a large quantity of magma onto the goblin hordes.

Once the first squad of gobbos get into the chamber, I realize they are armed with bows and decide to leave the retractable bridge to the depot open, thinking maybe they could defend themselves. They didn't. Anyway, the rest of the goblins and trolls wander in slowly, so I close raise the outer bridge...forgetting about the depot bridge. Magma quickly floods the depot, ignites the coal, and begins melting my flux and all the other items inside. This was unfortunate, but I made a mistake, oh well. I forbid all the burning item and empty the floodzone and start cleaning up the mess that's left. Everything is back to normal.

ELVES

Spring rolls around and that brings the elven caravan. Meh, they have nothing I want, just wood and clothing, don't need any of that, so I can just ignore them. Can anyone see where this is going?

I get "unpacking goods" message and suddenly remember the molten metal and burning coal. The trade depot is filled with more smoke than normal, and a purple gas that turns out to be boiling wine. The elves quickly pack up, but not before some die and some bins break open. My genius dwarves decide to run in and claim items, in the process receiving serious burns (which I don't notice), a couple minutes later I get a "Urist McDead has bled to death" followed by several more. This tantrum spiral has lasted 3 seasons, dropped me from 154 dwarves to 71, and has only just now started to level out.

All of this because I left a bridge unretracted.

I have subsequently redesigned my entrance to use a draw bridge to protect merchants from ranged attacks

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #2421 on: August 23, 2010, 05:25:56 pm »

Well, this probably doesn't seem too bad compared to some of the ones' others have had, but when I was starting out, I didn't realise that constructions such as farms and walls could be designated  in larger squares. so my first farms consisted of 100 smaller farms all connecting. that was fun. Or so I thought. I'd read about adamantine being so amazing, so got to work digging it out of a vein I found in a later fort. Then they came. I became very fearful of them for a very long while.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Vikenator2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: August 23, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »

Okay, I just had a really embarassing facepalm. The fort was fairly large, and had about 75 dwarves. I had decided to clean up the dining room, so I used the mass-dump option. Later, long after I had saved, I get the message "Urist McWoodworker has starved to death." Then more dwarves starved. The farms had just stopped for some reason. I was sure I had plump helmet seeds left, so I checked the status screen. The seeds had been forbidden. Turns out when I mass-dumped the rocks, I accidentally dumped the seeds as well. *Facepalm*

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:58 pm »

Added the [DRAGONFIREBREATH] without the [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], melted after the first attack... though the wave of flame was awesome.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:07 am »

My worst Facepalm moment was when I discovered

1- The existence of Bins
2- The use of Bins

I've never been more dumbstruct. I stared at my 6-levels warehouses, with all stockpiles cluttered with 1 item/square. All gems. All metal bars. All weapon. EVERY FUCKING INDIVIDUAL BOLTS.

All crafts..

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 24, 2010, 11:57:22 am »

1- The existence of Bins
2- The use of Bins

I've never been more dumbstruct. I stared at my 6-levels warehouses, with all stockpiles cluttered with 1 item/square. All gems. All metal bars. All weapon. EVERY FUCKING INDIVIDUAL BOLTS.

All crafts..
Oh boy :D
Only six levels?

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:28 pm »

EVERY FUCKING INDIVIDUAL BOLTS.
I think you still have to do that in order for the marksdwarves to pick them up. At least the last stack in the bin can't be reached when I've tried.

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »

1- The existence of Bins
2- The use of Bins

All crafts..
Oh boy :D
Only six levels?

You don't want to know how big were these levels. Let's just say that you could have used my fortress as the warehouse for the West Coast.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 24, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »

I think you still have to do that in order for the marksdwarves to pick them up. At least the last stack in the bin can't be reached when I've tried.

Really? It never seems to be a problem for me. Maybe the game is stealth forbidding them or you don't have an ammo profile set up?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SolkaTruesilver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 24, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »

Really? It never seems to be a problem for me. Maybe the game is stealth forbidding them or you don't have an ammo profile set up?

.40d user here, so I don't know if "ammo profile" applies...
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 729