Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129860 times)

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2100 on: July 21, 2010, 08:31:45 am »

Blocking off a dragon using a wall.

Realising too late it was made of wood.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 21, 2010, 08:44:01 am »

Are there now differences in what material a construction is made from?  :o

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 21, 2010, 10:01:17 am »

Not once construction is finished, but they're vulnerable while being put up.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 21, 2010, 10:09:53 am »

I decided to remove the fps cap on my fort just to see what it could do. Bad move, my fps rocketed up to 300,000+ when I was irrigating the farms. The water filled the fort before I could get to the lever.

Guess I better put the cap back on.

Holy crap, what kind of computer are you playing on?

An older one from 40d. At one point while playing dig deeper I decided to make a megatrap. I took an entire floor of my 31x31 tower and filled it with glass spikes. Of course, the first time I turned it on one of my soldiers decides to walk through it in order to reach the orcs charging through. I turn it off and he crawls out, not really a huge facepalm. He has red wounds on his legs, but he recovered three seasons later so it wasn't too bad. Meanwhile, the orcs are about halfway through the path before I can turn the spikes back on. It works like a charm, aside from a few lulls where the puller got tired and it randomly chose the dwarf on the other side of the fortress to pull the lever, it killed them all.

The facepalm? Mixed among the orc soldier corpses and orcanite steel ore, I found the corpses of three goblin snatchers and two kobold thieves. Very fun.

Another time I had some imps that liked to torch the left half of my map. Luckily, it was bisected by a brook, so the fire couldn't come across... or so I thought. Turns out, in order to power the drainage pumps for my drowning trap I had put this nice path across the brook of wooden axles and waterwheels. Oops.

Edit: current facepalm, was waiting for my dwarves to dig into some coal in a white layer. I didn't realize the mountain I'm on is made of both chalk and marble. Looks like I gotta dig up to make steel, but on the bright side there's a lot of sphalerite in the lower slate layers. Brass makes great trade goods and furniture for lesser nobles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:44:07 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:35 am »

I decided to remove the fps cap on my fort just to see what it could do. Bad move, my fps rocketed up to 300,000+ when I was irrigating the farms. The water filled the fort before I could get to the lever.

Chuck Norris's

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 21, 2010, 10:23:13 am »

His processor is made out of the brain of a god.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:47 am »

His processor is made out of the brain of a god.

That's what I said.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56:36 am »

He's playing on a server with 16 CPU slots and 2 TB RAM

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 21, 2010, 11:59:00 am »

I want a 16 CPU slot 2TB RAM machine that has amazing single threaded performance for DF.  It may make the other 31 - 95 cores jealous though.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 21, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »

Very useful for a single threaded game.

More likely, he's using something like an Intel i5/i7 with 4-8gb ram, possibly overclocked with an early fort on a small map.

Which is still impressive, considering on a dual 2.2 ghz I barely get 150 fps on embark.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 21, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »

Oh god quick check and make sure your computer isn't a cosmc horror in disguise or something

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »

Nyarlohotep has been content recently. He has played a game of dwarf fortress recently.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »

Cthulhu cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Gone insane.

It had to be said.  ;D

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:41 am »

Having dug the most impressive entrance I've had so far, half a mountain of sand and silt removed, I decide I want the stockpiles in the silty clay above. Less stone to haul and all that. So I construct my self a stair and designate a downstair... and puncture the aquifier. The most awesomest entrance I ever did is now the most awesomest pool I ever did.

Facepalm, re-embark, do it all over again.

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 22, 2010, 12:41:45 am »

I was playing yesterday, putting a few finishing touches on some projects when I got the announcement that my legendary hunter of 3-4 years had bled to death. This woman had killed a massive amount of wolves, some cougars and various underground fauna. Finally, the badass hunter, Lilly, had her arm torn from her body by a jabberer and bled to death seconds later. My Fort Guard quickly dispatched the beast. I facepalmed when she died because she came in the second migrant wave and had since then provided our fortress with massive amounts of food. I didn't think to get another hunter. I quickly got an unskilled trapper to take her position. She was buried in a tomb adorned in engravings and silver statues. Since then, however, our meat supply has fallen due to the new hunter's lack of skill.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 729