Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129973 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2040 on: July 14, 2010, 07:17:20 pm »

I actually like micromanaging, though, so that's no biggie.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: July 14, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »

Infinitely useful when you want to smelt all the goblinite, though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: July 14, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »

This is a good point. I may have to look into it. Although, I usually use their weapons in my traps. Delicious when a goblin gets shredded by 10 goblin swords.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: July 15, 2010, 01:55:01 am »

Eh, the weapons are usefull enough, but remember all that small armour they come with doesn't do much at all for you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: July 15, 2010, 02:05:03 am »

Goblin gear isn't small anymore
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: July 15, 2010, 03:53:46 am »

Mining out an area that i had previously walled off. Accidently. Zurg rush of forgotten beasts. Im not kidding. This fortess had more than 20 forgotten beasts locked in its basement. The reason they where locked out at the time was that it was still 31.08. I couldnt kill half of them no matter what i did. I revived the save to only do it again in 31.09 so i could pit my 40 legendary soldiers in bronze and adamantine at them. 30 of my dwarves died to forgotten beast gas anyway.
-also ala 31.08 The forgotten beast made of snow. The reason i walled off my caverns in the first place. He bludgeoned to death 5 or 6 poor buggers before i could save the rest of my fort.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

sublight

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McCorruptintentions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:19 am »

I've been facepalming repeatedly reading this thread. Been playing for over a year and didn't know any of the mass dump/melt/etc. commands!

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: July 15, 2010, 08:44:12 am »

Oh crap...

Well, I built the top half of my magmapumpstack with felsite blocks, because of budget cuts (I have to import All the bauxite) and because I thought that this would work, as long as the pumps are not submerged. Well, I was wrong. So yes, it worked good for a moment, then deconstructed. *facepalm*

Well, at least nothing spilled where it should not have gone, but now I have a 30 z-level shaft that is filled to a third with magma and screwpump debris. (corkscrews and pipe sections were steel)
Got to figure out, how to clean that up. :/

Edit: Actually, it says that pumps are magma-safe except for the walkable tile in the wiki. Well not anymore, because I edited that out. None of the walkable tiles was ever submerged, but the pumps still deconstructed one by one, as magma came in contact with the non-walkable tile from above.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:11:39 am by Agamemnon »
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: July 15, 2010, 04:18:29 pm »

Are you sure the issue wasn't that something on the pump stack suffered damage due to some other cause, which then caused the others it was supporting to deconstruct? Pump stacks are probably the biggest lot of hanging machinery anyone is likely to see unless deliberately making hanging machinery for its own sake - it may look like each pump is resting on a tile of solid ground, but in reality, each one is hanging. (Job cancellations can be a major setback - they seem to break the "virtual support" that pending mechanical constructions normally offer, so though you can build the pumps in a stack many at a time, you might find that half the stack breaks and the incomplete ones are unassigned because a job farther up cancelled and deconstructed.)

I'm not sure what I used to make my last pump stack. It's possible every last stone was magma-safe, I suppose, but it doesn't seem that likely...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: July 15, 2010, 05:06:09 pm »

Well there is one other possible explanation:

I used a non-magma safe screw somewhere in the middle without noticing. At least I have one less steel screw than I have/had pumps now. So probably it was really my fault... Next facepalm.
Glossary #52

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: July 15, 2010, 05:43:44 pm »

In view units mode, if multiple units are stacked in the tile, pressing v again will cycle through the stacked units.

I had accidentally hit v again after centering from the units menu, and had a double-take when the panel changed, followed shortly by /facepalm

Never again will I need to wait and see if a pet or dwarf or baby will move so I can get at one of the panels in a hidden unit. :/

This feature is not presented when only one unit is in the tile, explaining how I missed it. Still, it'd be nice if view mode from one of the lists would start with the right unit.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: July 15, 2010, 06:25:05 pm »

Still, it'd be nice if view mode from one of the lists would start with the right unit.

Define "right unit" to the program... Well, at least it could cycle through the children and animals on a tile last.
Glossary #52

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: July 15, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »

The right unit would probably be, in order: Dorfs, children, nobles, non-cat animals, and cats.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: July 15, 2010, 07:03:31 pm »

Still, it'd be nice if view mode from one of the lists would start with the right unit.

Define "right unit" to the program... Well, at least it could cycle through the children and animals on a tile last.

The "right unit" would be the one that was selected from the list.

For example, if you center on Urist McDwarf from the units list, and it turns out that there are 2 other dwarves, 2 infants, and a cat on the tile, the game would center as normal, but set the cycle so that Urist McDwarf is the one shown in the panel.

The right unit would probably be, in order: Dorfs, children, nobles, non-cat animals, and cats.

Sorting would be nice, but since I just discovered this feature I haven't had enough to determine if unordered lists are a detriment.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: July 16, 2010, 11:29:28 pm »

Not really a face palm, but every dwarf in my third migrant wave had military skills. One didn't have a weapon skill, just armor user, fighter, kicker, and dodger. Is this normal?
Also, there are three engravers. Engravers don't do to well in my fort. They either get mauled or drafted.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:34:10 pm by NewsMuffin »
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 729