Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2136937 times)

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1905 on: June 18, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »

I prepared carefully before embarking. 7dwarves: 2 miners; 2 farmers; and 3 adequate glassmakers. I spent point on bags for collecting sand.

Then, I embarked. create room holes, 10x10 rooms and glass furnaces. After cutting trees for some 200 logs with my farmers, I ordered the glassmakers to collect sand.

When I'm about to place a zone for collecting, I asked myself:

"Oh, wait, there's no sand in here..."

*facepalm*

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: June 18, 2010, 09:42:40 pm »

I prepared carefully before embarking. 7dwarves: 2 miners; 2 farmers; and 3 adequate glassmakers. I spent point on bags for collecting sand.

Then, I embarked. create room holes, 10x10 rooms and glass furnaces. After cutting trees for some 200 logs with my farmers, I ordered the glassmakers to collect sand.

*facepalm*

bags for collecting sand 10 points each, bags full of sand, 1 point each, another <facepalm>.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: June 18, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »

*facepalm*

bags for collecting sand 10 points each, bags full of sand, 1 point each, another <facepalm>.

: Priceless.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: June 19, 2010, 02:51:35 am »

For everything else, there's magmacard!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: June 19, 2010, 08:50:42 am »

It's not a total fail he can trade for bags full of sand from the caravans for 11 dwarf bucks each.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: June 19, 2010, 10:36:59 am »

It's not a total fail he can trade for bags full of sand from the caravans for 11 dwarf bucks each.

That's only the cave spider silk bags. Pig tail ones are 21. Does anybody know how to increase the chances of getting the silk bags?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: June 19, 2010, 02:56:51 pm »

My facepalm-of-the-day was when a colossus showed up. I had prepared well with lines of cage-traps - no problem right? Wrong. The colossus decided destroying everything in my kill-zone first would be more fun - including 15x115 of 7/7 water behind some floodgates. The colossus eventually got trapped, but not before all that water killed everything on the bottom floor, which happened to be a very small dormitory/hospital.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: June 20, 2010, 04:55:34 am »

Not really a fort-killing facepalm. but I think i just embarked(40d) with a VERY unethical Dwarf civ... No modding involved...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:57:19 am by fanatic »
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: June 20, 2010, 08:15:46 am »

Heard crossbows and archery was bugged/OP, so I never utilized it, and just ambushed enemy archer squads.
So I was building my giant ice fortress, flooring the second level, when a kobold archery unit shows up. no ones on their side of the wall, no problem right?
Found out projectiles can travel on the Z axis.
who needed those twenty masons anyway.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: June 20, 2010, 08:30:50 am »

The time i embarked but forgot surplies and my first enemy was about 7 giant eagles.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: June 20, 2010, 08:33:57 am »

Heard crossbows and archery was bugged/OP, so I never utilized it, and just ambushed enemy archer squads.
So I was building my giant ice fortress, flooring the second level, when a kobold archery unit shows up. no ones on their side of the wall, no problem right?
Found out projectiles can travel on the Z axis.
who needed those twenty masons anyway.

I remember the first time that happened to me.

I had a bunch of miners digging out a pit just below the surface, working under a channel.

Next thing I know, half my miners are dead, and the other half have crossbow bolts in their faces. :(
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: June 20, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »

Oh god this is what happens when you swear off DF for the greater part of the academic year because you have essays and shit to write but you're depressed and vulnerable to timesinks and it is just being hell of enticing with its little smiley faces carrying various parts of goblins to garbage stockpiles and shit.

What happens, you ask?

You forget about little details. The little idiosyncrasies that make DF DF and not RL. Like the fact that bridges do not, in fact, support constructions.

Designated a huge stretch of wall between various free-standing parts of my railgun (I am still building that bad boy and I am doing it in 40d because hell if I'm going to do all that work again) after being very proud of the nice scaffolds I constructed. First section is completed and promptly plummets to the ground, which is several z-levels below; not such a problem except for the fact that it also creates a huge dust cloud which knocks several of my electricians unconscious. Unconscious is a bad thing for a dwarf to be when they are standing on a narrow scaffold many z-levels up.

Urist McElectrician has died from colliding with an obstacle.
Urist McOtherElectrician has died from colliding with an obstacle.

These were just the two bastards that got supremely unlucky and missed the upper levels of the generator housings, plummeting all the way down to smack into the top of the waterworks. The other five (including my legendary miner from the starting seven) had probably enough complete and working parts between them, after their fall, to make about three complete dwarves. (I am sorry, Mr. Pratchett, but that is just how it was.)

*facepalm*

So yeah, I exercised my powers as an incarnation of Armok; the ones that survived are back to full health. There was no need for that. Plus the potential destruction inherent in the railgun way outweighs the certain destruction suffered by the dorfs.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Netkev

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: June 20, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

Apparently, having women in the army wasn't a very good plan, this was made obvious when a soldier attacked a steroid abusing raccoon and gave birth at the same time, i would go into details, but i think these pictures speak for themselves.

What i think happened:
She attacked the raccoon, the baby's head was torn clean off and she instantly gave birth to compensate having lost a child.

If anyone has a better theory, i would love to hear it.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: June 20, 2010, 03:51:00 pm »

Just started my first embark in 30.08.  I figured I'd speed up the process of offloading the wagon by digging out a tiny room underground, designating it as a garbage dump, quantum-dumping everything into it, and then sorting it into stockpiles at my leisure. 

My dwarves get to work, happily throwing things off the wagon and into the garbage dump.  "Oh, that's interesting, they take the meat out of the barrels and dump it separately".  I fail to put two and two together. 

My dwarves finish their work.  "Right, time to get the kitchen set up, and I'll use the kitchen menu to make sure they don't cook the booze... oh, that's interesting, it's not showing my available booze like it normally does... wait... WHERE'S THE BOOZE."

Yup, 84 units of booze dumped onto the ground, and now my dwarves are running around screaming "But why is the rum gone?"

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: June 20, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »

Apparently, having women in the army wasn't a very good plan, this was made obvious when a soldier attacked a steroid abusing raccoon and gave birth at the same time

I'm so, so sorry....

Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 729