Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129932 times)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1785 on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:55 am »

I decided to channel out the roof above my trade depot, meaning to build a floor to link to a tower I built. Forgetting that I'd dug a cavern beneath for goblin invaders to fall into.

The image above speaks for itself.

EDIT: Oh, and my legendary miner fell 10 z levels to his death.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:37:35 am by Old-one-eye »
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:56 pm »

My new fort is going rather well so far, but my advancement crawled to a halt due to a series of unfortunate events.

First, a channeling accident knocks out my best miner. The newbie has to take over for him while he rests in the hospital. This of course cripples my expansion as mining is now carried out by a single dwarf. Eventually I decide to assign one of my haulers to mining just to speed things up a bit, only to find that my unconscious dwarf is still stubbornly holding onto his pick. Through some fiddling I manage to get it away from him, only to find that my dwarves still won't use it. I give up, assuming that the pick was lost due to a glitch.

Many months later my miner finally gets back up, only to find that he is unable to mine. I wasn't going to take that. I messed around with some menus until I found a way to locate the lost pick. Turns out the garbage dump I had put it in was next to a murky pool, so the pick tumbled in rendering it inaccessible. I told my miner to tunnel it out. Right before opening the last tile, he went to bed. Then he decided to go on break. A mere tile away from giving my miner back his ability to work, he went on break.

:(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: June 02, 2010, 02:34:04 am »

My greatest champion was feeling miserable due to a recent goblin attack.  I sent him to his room to relax.  I ordered a gold statue to be delivered to him.  A woodcutter drops it off, but starts throwing a tantrum and cut's my champion's dog in half with his axe. 

The champion goes berserk and murders 50 dwarves.  (Including the woodcutter)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: June 02, 2010, 04:51:23 am »

My new fort is going rather well so far, but my advancement crawled to a halt due to a series of unfortunate events.

First, a channeling accident knocks out my best miner. The newbie has to take over for him while he rests in the hospital. This of course cripples my expansion as mining is now carried out by a single dwarf. Eventually I decide to assign one of my haulers to mining just to speed things up a bit, only to find that my unconscious dwarf is still stubbornly holding onto his pick. Through some fiddling I manage to get it away from him, only to find that my dwarves still won't use it. I give up, assuming that the pick was lost due to a glitch.

Many months later my miner finally gets back up, only to find that he is unable to mine. I wasn't going to take that. I messed around with some menus until I found a way to locate the lost pick. Turns out the garbage dump I had put it in was next to a murky pool, so the pick tumbled in rendering it inaccessible. I told my miner to tunnel it out. Right before opening the last tile, he went to bed. Then he decided to go on break. A mere tile away from giving my miner back his ability to work, he went on break.

forge a new pick?
ENRAGED

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:58 am »

Not a major one this, but my second ever well has a small design flaw.
The well pool is filled by a reservoir, which is itself filled from a river. Two floodgates separate the reservoir from the river and the well pool from the reservoir (they are never open together, thus
ensuring that I can't accidentally flood the entire fortress).
Unfortunately, the reservoir is both bigger than the well pool and higher up... Consequently, the floodgate that fills the well pool has to be closed quickly after opening it, or the well room floods with water (which soon spreads out and evaporates, so no huge deal).

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: June 02, 2010, 06:49:26 pm »

forge a new pick?

I would have if I had a managed to set up my forge area yet. I didn't get around to doing that until later. Of course now everything is fine and I have 5 miners constantly digging.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

If you bring an anvil (which you should, they're only 100 embark points now) setting up temporary forging early on is probably a good idea. Good trade goods, backup armor in case of ambush, replacement axes, picks, and other tools... there are dozens of reasons to make one, even if you have no magma.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Conservative Swine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: June 03, 2010, 11:04:57 am »

Just had one:

Still with the initial embark 7, I created a Burrow and added all 7 to it. The Burrow contains the dorm and the not finished dining area with no stockpiles. Time passes and my dwarves are getting pissed off thirsting and starving to death, trapped inside. Then it hits me; shit was fine before the Burrow so I should delete it. As soon as I do, they all rush back to the booze and food stockpile. It was hilarious.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: June 03, 2010, 11:18:45 am »

Apparently, starting the day on a blonde moment is becoming my thing.

As a bridge retracts to dump some loiterers of the goblin variety into the river, I'm struck by a thought: "Wasn't I planning to rebuild this as a drawbridge? Why was that?"

Oh yeah: because two z-levels directly below is another bridge, this one in the middle of my residential hub. Good times forever.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: June 03, 2010, 11:20:34 am »

Apparently, starting the day on a blonde moment is becoming my thing.

As a bridge retracts to dump some loiterers of the goblin variety into the river, I'm struck by a thought: "Wasn't I planning to rebuild this as a drawbridge? Why was that?"

Oh yeah: because two z-levels directly below is another bridge, this one in the middle of my residential hub. Good times forever.
Ouch XD
ENRAGED

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: June 03, 2010, 11:47:32 am »

(gen mod)
i embarked on a nice 2d df looking spot (mountain to the right, thick forest on the left, joyful wilds/untamed widls)
lots of galena so my bin and barrels are metal (seems more dorfly than pussy wood)
its the 4th year and im still in my hole, trying to make masterpieces for rooms before i move to the already carved home
a dire wolf pack decided to hang around my hole
dorf caravan guards figure they will give me some protection for my gem business with them
tired of forging and melting golden statues i decided to look up on the reports
"dwarven speardwarf strikes the dire wolf in the upper body breaking the guts!"
dire wolf vomits x10

i decide to look at this
wolf somehow managed to escaped the guard, vomiting blood on my walls
"haha, you had it coming ,asshole!"
then i see something smokelike on the northern part of my screen
"miasma? outdoors? 0.31? No way."
It was a fire. Two fires actually. The guard was a obsidian dwarf (they throw fireballs)
"Damn! i have no way of stopping this.. Gotta make a burrow and fast"

notes to self

1)Lead Bins tend to melt fast
2) charcoal is fireproof (wtf?!)
3) at 150 fps, fire is VERY fast
4) fiber sandbags resist fire
5) wooden objects that didnt burn turn into weared off objects
6) bone objects mangle in fire
time for some j m q iron bin
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:12:59 pm by Z1000000m »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: June 03, 2010, 11:50:25 am »

i pressed quote instead of modify

-remove-
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:10:28 pm by Z1000000m »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: June 03, 2010, 04:20:40 pm »

i pressed quote instead of modify

-remove-

Well, you picked the right thread to mistake in :D
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:02 am »

Earliest Fun moment today: At the embark screen, loading my standard group and I get the food warning message "No plump helmets, no plump helmet spawn".

shirafor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: June 04, 2010, 03:10:45 pm »

I'm still pretty new to DF, I probably shouldn't be playing the newest version, but meh. So I accidentally let out one of the goblin thieves I caught and so I thought it would be a good opportunity to test out the military for the first time. I send my military down there with training axes (I know that they're useless, but I thought they'd be able to at least knock out the gobby), and then I watch as all 8 of them spend the next few minutes having their blows deflected by the gobby's silk clothes. -_____-

Lesson learned:
DON'T use training axes EVER

(I think I'm going to have to disband them then re-enlist them. I have some adamantine, so I'll probably start making that into weapons, and let them go at the gobby then)
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 729